1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reflections on todays results.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by GreatWesternGas, Apr 1, 2017.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Couldn't attend the game today so had to be content with keeping an eye on things on line. Firstly our result - obviously happy with the 3 points, although have no idea if we made hard work of it or thoroughly deserved it. I must admit, I was a bit concerned when it was still 0-0 at half time, having read how much possession we'd had and how many shots we'd fired at them. Bit of a mixed reaction to other results affecting us - some we could have done without, some went ok for us, but overall, we won, which is all we can ask for. Just got to take each game at a time now and see how things pan out. What will be will be. Sneaked a quick look at OTIB after Burton scored their 96th minute winner - Oh dear! They aint a happy bunch on there, funny how the mood has changed since their win over Huddersfield, safe as houses one minute, doomed the next! Did pick up on their forum though that apparently, Taylor the Snake missed a sitter today - strange to read that, he always seemed so accurate when he was with us!! :emoticon-0136-giggl

2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it was a decent result in the end for me the first half felt like it was just two teams just seeing out the season even though we both have something to play for Shrewsbury didn't offer a lot but they weren't the worst team I've seen this season.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

He missed another sitter did he? :emoticon-0136-giggl
    Well, we did warn them about this. I was accused of being bitter though by some. His sitters that he has missed and will continue to miss will be magnified in the Championship as its a higher level. I still find it amazing that most city fans fell for this signing thinking its a great signing. They fell back in love with Johnson because of it. I do doubt that they will get relegated and he will be like it all of next season. If somehow they do get relegated, I think he will struggle in league 1 too, for them.

4. GreatWesternGas

Tend to agree that they will probably just survive, sadly. Gonna be tense for them, but I have a horrible feeling that other results will go their way and they will scrape over the line to survival. I don't think they deserve to stay up, based on their performances, lack of team spirit, and total mismanagement, but football isn't always fair. Like us a couple of years ago, we deserved to go down if we are totally honest, and ok, we have been very fortunate to have come out of the experience smelling of roses, albeit due to an incredible amount of re-organisation, re-building, hard work and superb support. Can't see City enjoying the same degree of recovery if they do actually drop into league 1, and if they do, I reckon they will offload Taylor pretty damn quick, along with a few others. Going to be an interesting few weeks. (I have always had a soft spot for Blackburn as they were my first Subbuteo team many years ago, so will be praying they do the business and survive, and if they manage it, we all know what that probably means! )

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

They were my 1st subbuteo team too <ok> Couldnt get the gas when the game 1st came out so Blackburn was the closest. When our team did become available, I got it straight away. I loved that game when I was a kid. I think the offside rule in that game should be used in real life!

6. GreatWesternGas

Ditto! I used to use Blackburn and pretend they were The Gas, I think my other team were Bradford Park Avenue ( a league team then) , purchased purely because of their colours - red/yellow striped shirts, black shorts. Contrasted nicely against the blue + white of Blackburn/aka Rovers. Have fond memories of many hours spent with Subbuteo, and funnily enough, my son, who is now grown up with his own child, has inherited the Subbuteo stuff and occasionally, we have a mini tournament, 2 blokes reliving their youth!! One of those ageless things, a bit like Thunderbirds, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Morecombe and Wise, The Big Match on a Sunday, petrol bought by the gallon instead of litres which I don't understand, feet + inches vice metres, pounds and ounces vice kilograms etc etc! Life used to be so simple!

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

<ok>

The 1st thing that I ironed in my life was the subbuteo pitch <laugh>

8. EGLL Gas

EGLL Gas Well-Known Member

The ultimate 6 pointer will be Easter Monday

Blackburn v 82ltd

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well last night had a couple of games in our league. Both Millwall and Rochdale won. However the team in 6th - Southend lost. So not a bad night!

10. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Still 6 points adrift though with just five to play ! I think we are going to be 3rd div again next term, I just hope that The Lions dont need anything from that final game, if they do and it's a dead rubber for us I think I might just go fishing instead !!

11. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Realistically, we need to win pretty much all the games to be in with a chance. But all sorts of weird things can happen, and we're veterans of the final push for the playoffs now. It would be great if the Millwall game had something riding on it for both sides.

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We need....
    Rovers to win all 5 remaining games = 15 points.
    Oxford to get 14 points or less (could change as they are currently playing now and its 1-1)
    Rochdale to get 13 points or less
    Millwall to get 8 points or less
    Southend to get 8 points or less.

All 5 have to happen for us to get top 6.

Say we win all 5 games, I can see Oxford and Rochdale both failing to win at least 1 more game so we would finish higher than them. We then need Southend and Millwall to both win 2 and draw 2 and lose 1, or worse than this. Basically failing to win 3 of their last 5 games and losing at least 1 game.

I cant see all 4 rivals each slipping up enough for us to benefit and to be honest I cant see us winning all 5 ourselves so we would need the other 4 teams to do even worse than I suggested above!

13. GreatWesternGas

Its about time we had a quiet end of season but after Mansfield, Grimsby and Dagenham in the last 3 years, I wouldn't bank on it. Oxford drawing at present which puts us down to 10th but I have a good feeling that Fleetwood will score again!

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I only just noticed that we are 9 points from 3rd <yikes>

If only we beat both Coventry and Chesterfield away instead of losing to them. Remember they are 23rd and 24th in the league. Games we should be winning. Thats 6 extra points right there that we should have! Then add the Shrewsbury away which was apparently the worse performance of the season for us. Another game we should be winning. Thats 9 points more we should have. How about Bolton away where we dominated but only drew? Thats 2 points dropped meaning 11 points dropped in just 4 games that I have mentioned. That would put us 3rd now. All ifs and buts.... But thats 4 games where we dropped points.

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

You were right! Fleetwood winning 2-1 now <ok>

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Losing to Bury also :emoticon-0148-yes:

17. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I still think we will lose all of our away games are form on the road is what will cost us only one win since the end of October plus the fact our form at Peterborough and Gillingham is very poor but hey its been a decent season anyway.

18. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

If we win all five of our games then Millwall will lose at least one of theirs so that would only need them to draw one and lose one or draw two playoffs here we come