1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Referees Onside - Neville and Carragher.

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TIGERSCAVE, Apr 2, 2017.

1. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I have that notion too
    It's based on seeing it in action when the technology was trialled in the Spain game.
    It was 40+ seconds...it's a long time...it was boring

It's not like the technology will get any quicker, the time taken is the people sat behind the screen scratching their chins

I'd be happier with more assistant refs, but I'd prefer that video reffing wasn't used

2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of ways to make it quicker. They're trialing it here in aus over the next two weeks so we'll see how it goes.

3. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

First match is tonight. No interest in the A league football but will watch to view the VAR in action.

4. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I agree with Ben wholeheartedly on this issue. I understand people want the right call 100% of the time but for me its one of the absolute worst things about Rugby (particularly League in Australia). Football should be allowed to flow as much as possible, its what makes the game great imo and whatever way you look at it, bringing technology in and reviewing a decision stops the game. It wouldn't be long before referees were reviewing every decision like they do for EVERY try in Rugby.

Now if there were a way to have the technology and have it as an immediate decision given via the referee and not the big screen then I would be all for it. Its the main reason I have no issue with goal line tech. I just don't see how its possible. A player goes down in the penalty area under challenge, its not given but the ref wants to review it, what happens to the counter attack where the other team go and score? They review it next time the ball goes out of play? What if it stays in play for 5 mins, maybe longer and the whole tempo of the game changes in that time?

5. SydneyTiger14

Not a great example as rugby League in Australia doesn't use the "bunker" as often these days and when it is used decisions are generally made in 30 seconds.

6. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

AlRawdeh watching the match last night.

please log in to view this image

CANADATIGER and SydneyTiger14 like this.
  7. dennisboothstash

He is right though that in rugby of both codes almost every try goes to a video ref
    And he's also right to question what happens to a tackle which turns into a counter attack. If you wait until a break in play they might have several decisions to make from one passage of play

I know it's coming, Ben knows it's coming, it's just that we both think it will be **** when it does

And I don't think it's being brought in for the right reasons either. It's being brought in because football is a big money business and investors want to minimise the risk they can't control

It isn't being brought in to improve things for the fans...and I think it will be just another nail in the coffin that is the sanitised match day

Sir Cheshire Ben likes this.
  8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

As things stand currently, it's only going to be used for major decisions, it won't be used for offsides (unless they result in contentious goals), it won't appear on big screens, the fourth official will just watch it and advise the ref.

It's unlikely to happen more than a couple of times a game and it will take seconds each time, i really don't think what's proposed is a big deal.

I agree it's not primarily being done to improve things for the fans, it's being done to improve things for the officials.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  9. SydneyTiger14

I think saying it's a nail in the coffin and will sanitize match day is a bit extreme. It'll really be no different than when the ref chats to the 4th official or ARs through his headset.

10. dennisboothstash

I think the use will grow as it has in rugby, but TWT

I don't agree that it's being done to improve things for the officials though, or not at the heart of it anyway. Any business wants to minimise the negative risks that it can't control and I think this is an example of clubs and FIFA etc trying to do that so their 'product' is subject to less vaguaries and therefore less potential criticism

11. SydneyTiger14

Isn't that a good thing? Shouldn't organizations look to minimize errors?

12. dennisboothstash

Not if it ruins the flow of the game in my opinion

I'm not after an argument, we just have different opinions on whether it will be good

We'll see which of us is right in a few years time

13. SydneyTiger14

I'm not either, I thought we were having a discussion about video tech.

I think right and wrong will always be deemed subjective and not sure it really needs to be another point scoring exercise.

14. dennisboothstash

Huh?
    I'm not sure why you think I'm trying to score any points?
    Anyway we are having a discussion. My view is that it won't be good for the game in the long run

15. SydneyTiger14

Your comment that we'll see who is right and who is wrong. I don't think that's going to be settled as everyone will have different opinions on the success. E. G. I think goal line has been a huge success but it seems Ben hates it.

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

The Portuguese Cup final in May will be first national cup final to use video replays, the on-pitch referee will communicate with two assistants watching on monitors.

17. PoolTiger

PoolTiger Active Member

Can't wait for Mourinho going apoplectic when the video ref scrubs out a 'perfectly good' goal for ManUre <laugh>

18. dennisboothstash

Ok
    It wasn't meant like that

What I meant was in a few years each of us will know whether what we thought would happen did or not

19. SydneyTiger14

Video ref just correctly awarded a penalty in a game over here, took 50 seconds.

20. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

50 secs too long. How far back did they check to make sure the decision was correct?