1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reasoning behind your username?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Jan 3, 2017.

1. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

"We have a favor to ask," Phil from Southampton told me on a rainy cold October morning in Munich. We were heating up some water for coffee with a Bunson burner
    "Yeah," Lloyd said. "A really big favor."
    They wanted me to bail a Scouser girl out of a police station, not to mention another girl from Southampton.
    I never regretted it. We had a lot of fun. Those four, a Glaswegian, a girl who claimed to be Hawaiian, but could only communicate with me in Spanish and German, a Hessian, a Rhinelander, a Kiwi, another English girl and me were Wir sind alle Preussen ’We’re all Prussians’. We sang a football chant to unite in crowds, but I can’t remember what it was. Rain for thirty days and thirty nights. Rescuing gold rings from Bayrisch pawnshops. Phil and Joanne having the ultimate argument while sitting in a little car with one broken window in the rain. "You always say something will turn up. Well I’m the one who always has to turn it up." "If we aren’t going to have fun, what are we here for?" They wouldn’t let me spend another pfennig. It’s nice when you decide to trust people others might not, and they make you glad you did. The Liverpool girl was Rita from "Educating Rita" to a T and had the best comeback I’ve ever heard in my life. Phil was a Jack the Lad with ethics, including work, Lloyd was 100% straightforward and decent and Joanne was a third generation bohemian and slacker.

I followed international football, and thought I might be able to find a PL team to root for so I could have a reason to watch football more often. Remembering Phil, Lloyd and Joanne , I choose Southampton. I never found out if Jill followed Everton or Liverpool, but might have guessed neither. The problem, as I soon found out, was that Southampton was not in the Prem, so I couldn’t watch them. My wife started to get interested in club football, and asked which PL team she should root for. I suggested Spurs. You don’t pick a club. Your club picks you. Soon she was updating me on Spurs. Then I was yelling at screens.

The red and white in redwhiteandermblue refers to Southampton’s colors. The third color brings in the US flag. Then it also described how I progressed from trying and failing to be a Southampton fan to becoming a much more rabid and sometimes disappointed Spurs fan than I ever planned to be.

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I'd sleep on it.

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Joe Root wears 66 for England in ODIs

Did Matt Jackson wear 5 at Everton or Norwich? He should have done.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Why not call yourself Professor Spuriarty?

Sherlock and Watson, bored of an evening. Sherlock says to Watson "Fancy a shag?"
    Why not, thinks Watson to himself, and bends over. Sherlock comes up behind... and suddenly starts rubbing lemon curd all over Watson's arse.
    "What do you think you're doing, Holmes?" exclaims Watson.
    "Lemon entry my dear Watson, lemon entry" :biggrin:

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Can someone ban this **** please?

Treble likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

:1980_boogie_down:

7. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Lennypops was my user name on a couple of online poker sites so I just used that again.

Lenny is a sort of pseudonym given to me by friends, partly cos it rhymes with my real name, partly due to my love of Leonard Cohen, partly cos it sounds funny. I stuck the "pops" on the end cos "lenny" was taken on the poker site. When I was a little kid my mum used to sing a stupid song where she'd put "pops" at the end of my name and I always used it as a way to make something seem little and cute and silly. So for my poker name I thought it would be good to have something that seemed harmless and cute in the hope that players would underestimate me and therefore make mistakes!

8. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

As you all know Danny Blanchflower is the most successful captain in our history and steered the best team (to date) to glorious honours.
    I was 14 when Danny signed for Spurs in 1954 so saw all of his career with us. He was a great footballer, witty & intelligent. I loved all that double side and chose the top man. Besides, Blanchflower is a lovely name....:emoticon-0152-heart

9. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

Amazing, I come from a family of rabid Cohen fans and we always affectionately called him 'Lenny'. Every time I read your username he springs to mind, little did I know he was part of its inspiration!

My name (and avatar) are a reference to the 'Wandering Jew' myth from Christianity, who after taunting Christ on the cross was made to wander the earth in perpetuity until Christ returned to make the Last Judgement. I see it as an analogy for being a Spurs fan, patiently waiting, anticipating an event which in the back of your mind you suspect may never happen!

I was at university at the time, learning a lot about medieval history and theology - I guess it shows - I couldn't come up with that now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  10. OnlyOneDB

OnlyOneDB Well-Known Member

My dad holds the key to mine, he was at Uni in London for Spurs 60/61 season, attending the home games in our title-winning season and the win over Leicester for the FA Cup.

Since I was a lad, whenever we watched Spurs and I commented on how a midfielder was playing, controlling the game, whatever... his reaction was ALWAYS "yeah he's good, but there's 'only one Danny Blanchflower' and he's no Danny Blanchflower..."
    Guess it kinda stuck in my head...

11. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

So not Darren Bent, then.

OnlyOneDB likes this.
  12. Thank **** for that - I had always assumed it stood for David Bentley and wondered if serious or a parody!! <laugh>

OnlyOneDB likes this.
  13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Darren Bent and David Bentley surely two of the biggest and most expensive mistakes in signings. Bently was just our mistake but Bent was ? Us, Sunderland, Villa a fortune spent on a very mediocre footballer which for me cast serious doubt on these so called football experts. Not blowing a trumpet but I always thought he was seriously overrated when we paid a ridiculous 16 million to Charlton for him. Fair play to Bent though he really made the best of his limited abilities.

14. Animo Et Fide

Animo Et Fide Active Member

Wanted to use audere est facere but figured that would already be gone or to obvious. But thought a latin phrase would be Ok so went for Animo et Fide (Courage and Faith) as at least one of these is a quality you need as a Spurs supporter. You needed the other in the 70s when you went to Leeds or Upton Park. It is also the motto of the Army Corps I am in.

Good thread this - cheers.

Dier Hard likes this.
  15. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

On this note, did Belgian international Marc Degryse ever wear 3 or Noel Blake wear 7?

Emre Can could wear 2. Quinton Fortune, 8?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    O.Spurcat likes this.
  16. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

100% agreement here! What an awful show that was! nearly as bad as Bananas in Pyjamas!
    Not a patch on Little Bill (that was before all the stuff about his dad!) and loads of others.
    Even the Teletubbies.
    Ahhh the memories..............

17. audrey.s.thackeray

Oi!!!!!

18. audrey.s.thackeray

I did suggest this ages ago. Always have been such a trendsetter - years aghead of my time! The Martin Peters of the internet!

The Huddlefro and O.Spurcat like this.
  19. audrey.s.thackeray

He's my favourite all-time player! And we are of the asame generation, of course!
    (I don't have the same positive connections for the name "Maggie", but never mind!
    At least you seem to be a nice lady!)

20. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

<laugh> Just one of the 20 or so variations on Margaret. Damn, I've blown my cover now!<doh>

audrey.s.thackeray likes this.