1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Reading

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Agreed. I still **** myself whenever Lynch is near the ball which really wasn't fair on the rest of N block.

2. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

A great result today. Nothing to complain about - as said 3pts in the bag, no goals conceded, Washington off the mark. Long may it continue!!
    On to winning the cup now

Uber_Hoop and Didley Squat like this.
  3. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Nice job boys! This win helps fight against relegation and rises your teamspirit a lot!

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Back now with glass of wine in hand.
    Well, I'm very pleased I went!!

That was a really good performance and fair play to Holloway; we were really ready for this and looked a yard sharper than Reading all over the pitch. He also picked two up top to enable us to press Reading and stop them playing out, which we did superbly all game. So well done Ollie.

Before we get too carried away though, the back three looked likely to leak goals all game. Get Hall and Caulker in for Perch and Lynch and it would look much better imo. The ball over the top got us in trouble a few times, especially into the usual gaps down the sides of a team playing with a back three. Ned's pace got us out of trouble a few times and, apart from one terrible brain fart, he played very well.

However, going forward we were a revelation imo. The midfield three of Luongo, Scowen and Freeman were outstanding. With Reading looking like they were still on the beach, these three ran the show. Luongo was very good, Scowan was a terrier and found some good passes and Freeman was "man of the match" outstanding. Great skill from him for the first goal and lovely to watch all game. A genuine Rangers No10 imo.
    With Pawel getting forward well and even Bidwell getting some crosses in, the system worked well, with Washington and Mackie working their nuts off and not allowing Reading to build from the back as they like to.
    With better finishing Rangers genuinely should have been out of sight by half time. Washington hit it badly over the bar when through on goal and Luongo was so unlucky, hitting the post with a crisp drive after another good Rangers move.

At 1-0 Smithies pulled off a fantastic save following Ned's brain fart and then the keeper set up a counter attack with a superb quick kick forward, leading to a lovely dribble in the box by Pawel who was brought down, resulting in a penalty and red card.
    Washington placed the ball right in the corner and it was no more than Rangers deserved.

All in all it was a pleasure to watch a Rangers team full of energy, endeavour and creativity. The youth in the team really getting around the pitch and closing Reading down.

It's one game and we looked good in the first game last season, but I'm genuinely optimistic after seeing that. Ollie MUSTN'T mess too much with this side!!

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

We seem to agree for once, Col.

Uber_Hoop, Steelmonkey and rangercol like this.
  6. Bwood_Ranger

Yeah but what do you think of Theresa May?

Uber_Hoop, kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.
  7. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Might fork out the fiver for the next game. Lovely day so hit the golf course. Delighted when I checked my phone and saw the score. Sounds like a good performance too.

8. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

A perfect summary from my perspective. Top performances by the midfield trio and Mackie at his best but those who think Ned had a great game must have a different understanding of what the centre back role is all about.

9. Bwood_Ranger

I thought he made one mistake for the chance where Smithies made a great stop but apart from that did well. Bear in mind he had to play with Lynch

StortfordQPR likes this.
  10. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Exactly. Lynch is poor and leaves a lot of gaps. Ned was forever covering him and used his pace on several occasions to rescue things. The one mistake was a big one, but apart from that he was the best of the three CBs imo.

StortfordQPR likes this.

11. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Just woke up ...... straight to the BBC website to check the results.

Wow, 2-0......that sure washed away the doom & gloom. Finally, a great start to the season.

12. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

Happy days Squatty<cheers><ok>

13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Happy with that. Always happy to beat the plastics and seems to be becoming a habit against them. Won't get carried away because we beat Leeds 3-0 last season and I got carried away. 'Hollow' did a good today but needs to continue.

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

I feel I should take some credit for the result. All last season, I was giving the team the benefit of the doubt on Tranmere's Prediction League with 2-0 wins all over the fc uking place and the sods let me down. So on Thursday, I go for a 1-4 Reading win...

Anyway, Luongo played the best game I've seen him in, wearing the hoops. Freeman continues to be a great Holloway buy. And I remain a firm fan of Pavel. The effort and motivation from all today was 100%. As has been said, a good CB and a striker, and we could be top half, perhaps even compete for top 6. Clive W said QPR have a habit of doing the opposite of what might be expected. So I may go for a 6-0 Wednesday win next week, and who knows, we might turn them over.

NorwayRanger, mapleranger and QPR999 like this.
  16. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Although we won 3 nil on the opening day last season I think there are key differences. Against Leeds this time last year although a great result it wasn't a one sided game and could easily have gone the other way but today by all accounts we were by far and away the better team. Also and perhaps key we've got Connor up and running from day one, he wont have that monkey on his back that he had for so long last season. Clearly we cant get too over excited but a more than promising start.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Travelling back from France so listened on a very crackle and intermittent 5Live on AM!
    Gutted to miss that display and hoping it will be the first of many.

18. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Good win from Ollie and the boys on my birthday
    now for the next one?

19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

A good start and we should have had more goals. Still worried with that central three at the back, if Caulker has his head together and Hall returns from injury we will be in better shape there. No point in getting carried away yet, some tough tests coming up in the next few weeks and the key will surely be whether we bring in any late signings...

20. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I think Norwich away is a good barometer. A draw thwre would be a very good sign. A win? Incredible.