1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reading or Uddersfield

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, May 29, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

which is preferable to be a play mate next season?
    Reading just up the road is usually a poor result and Stam seems to have his act together, they still have a bit of cash in the bank to come? so could top up!
    Huddersfield further to travel, but will they be as good next year? wagner did seemed surprised a dozen games ago when asked about "where you are and whats next?" I think I would prefer playing Uddersfield than Reading

READING 3 HUDDERSFIELD 2

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Reading will win,Huddersfield will fall away next next season.

Shame easy to get up to Reading,even though results have been poor recently.

3. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think Huddersfield will won today

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Reading on the basis that we never take many points off of them- Personally would say Huddersfield though but I've called this division wrong all through other than saying Newcastle would win it, but didn't take a great deal of skill to guess that one-
    Wanted Bradford ( easier to visit family) over Millwall and Exeter (live locally) so what would I know!

5. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Supporting Huddersfield today. A big club with a rich history, that would still be a newbie to the Prem, would make things much more interesting than Reading, one of the most dull clubs in the country.

6. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Reading 2-0 Kermagant to score

7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Bet Nacki Wells signs that contract he was refusing to sign earlier this season now.

8. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Don't worry mate, you'll still be able to go to Reading next season ;)

I wanted Huddersfield to win today, really happy they did

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  9. Red Robin

Congrats to Huddersfield a side we buried easily in the season.
    Just shows what a good manager can do for a average side.
    At least we can get to Reading as quick as Ashton Gate when a night game is on.

10. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Who knew he was a good manager? Sometimes it's not all about experience (his words).
    I did say, if we were to get rid of LJ, (4 months ago) maybe we should look abroad.....
    Like you said, we stuffed them here a few months ago under LJ, so we have the capabilities!
    Well done to Huddersfield, will be interesting for them next season, I imagine will be odds on to drop straight back down though..

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Teams often buck the trend and stay up against all the odds
    Even we did it, as did Barnsley, Oldham, Swansea, Hull etc.

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Huddersfield deserved the win. Better team from the off.
    Some diving and cheating aside.

Pleased to see a new boy on the block - gives hope to us unfashionable clubs.

13. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

A side headed by a Manager with no Championship experience, as well as an influx of players with no Championship experience, signed for very reasonable fees - which flies in the face of what you believe SL should do.

There're many ways to skin a cat (in this case, achieve promotion), but Hudderfield's approach is far closer to what we should aspire to, rather than try to spend our way out. As has been said, it's nice to see smaller clubs reach the top tier - I was amongst those who thought that parachute payments would make the Premiership an even more of an exclusive group, but in actuality, this hasn't come to pass.

14. Red Robin

But he came from quality clubs with pedigree,we went for a rookie who was at Oldham then struggled at Barnsley.
    A very cheap option by SL.
    Big season for Junior,back on the fence,but i still have my doubts.

15. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Fair point. Dortmund are an excellent club and clearly know how to produce not only great players but coaches too. Interestingly enough their manager just resigned. Quick, get on the horn and get him down to The Gate!

Red Robin likes this.
  16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Had it been us that appointed Wagner, or if you were a Huddersfield fan, I think you'd have bemoaned his appointment as a 'cheap option' and would've insisted that SL should have got his chequebook out to bring in Pardew/Pearson/Redknapp (assuming money alone would be enough to tempt any of them).

Leaving the suitability of LJ aside (I, like you, am on the fence with doubts), Wagner was brought in, with only being reserve team manager of Borussia Dortmund on his managerial CV - it was something of an unusual/potentially risky move that paid off. It could well be that City would do well under a Championship stalwart like Neil Warnock, but perhaps the potential for greater things would be to use similar left-field thinking.

Norwich have attempted the same trick by appointing Daniel Farke - at this early stage, do you think a good/bad appointment? Do you think the afore-mentioned Pardew or Pearson would likely do a better job? I myself would say I don't have a clue, and as such, it I were a Norwich fan, I wouldn't turn around and say the board f***ed it up, if a few months down the line form isn't as good as they hoped.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  17. Red Robin

Norwich underperformed this year,they were my side to go up top,next year i think they will be there or there abouts.

For me Pardew, or Pearson, would have had us near or in the top six with the quality at their disposal, LJ kept us by three points,imagine if we had not won at Brighton:emoticon-0141-whew::emoticon-0141-whew::emoticon-0141-whew::emoticon-0141-whew:

Wagner has the luxury of being at one of the world's best clubs,working at levels and systems that LJ probably would get bamboozled by.
    I think they came unstuck towards the end of the season,but they crossed the line,which is all the counts in the play-offs.

18. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Most managerial appointments are a gamble.

If you go for someone with a proven record i.e Sam Allardyce (and whether you like him or not) you wont be relegated from the Premiership and his record proves it.

But other high profile players have struggled in the Managers chair like Nobby Stiles, Bobby Charlton, Peter Shilton, Paul Merson, Tony Adams and many many others

It seems that foreign coaches/Managers in the Championship are now becoming the fashion.

Norwich, with the resources at their disposal under achieved (in my opinion) under Alex Neil. If Daniel Farke can get them into the playoffs or better in 2017/18, then he'll be seen as a success.

Like with LJ, time will tell.

NickH likes this.
  19. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

You could be a politician RR - never answer the question directly, just answer an entirely different one!

I'll put it more straight for you:
    1. At this moment in time, do you rate the appointment of Daniel Farke by Norwich as good or bad?
    2. Do you think either (or both) of Alan Pardew or Nigel Pearson would have been a better appointment by Norwich?
    Also, 'imagine if we had not won at Brighton'.... imagine if your Auntie had balls, imagine if you won the lottery etc. etc.

20. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Exactly right - even those will a 'proven record' with have peaks and troughs. Harry Redknapp has had a great deal of success, but cocked things up royally at Southampton and QPR as one of many examples.

That's not to say that you can excuse any appointment, but judgement in retrospect is tempered by how strongly you feel at the beginning - when we appointed Steve Coppell I thought we were really about to make waves... <doh>

Last edited: May 30, 2017