1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ranieri

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

2. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

BBC:

Manager Claudio Ranieri has been sacked by Leicester City, nine months after leading them to the Premier League title.

The Foxes are one point above the relegation zone with 13 matches left.

"The board reluctantly feels that a change of leadership, while admittedly painful, is necessary in the club's greatest interest," said a statement.

Ranieri, 65, guided the Foxes to the title despite them being rated 5,000-1 shots at the start of the campaign.

The Foxes won the league by 10 points but have won just five league games so far this season, and could become the first defending champions to be relegated since 1938.

They have lost their past five league matches and are the only side in the top four English divisions without a league goal in 2017.

"His status as the most successful Leicester City manager of all time is without question," added the Foxes statement.

"However, domestic results in the current campaign have placed the club's Premier League status under threat."

Earlier this month, Leicester gave their "unwavering support" to the Italian.

3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

****ing disgrace. I hope they get relegated now <grr>

The players need lining up and shooting. They've let Ranieri and the fans down big time this season.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Player power again, shame he didn't drop the none performing players, they are a shadow of what they were last season, does my head in when players blow hot and cold for this great game, especially when the money they get still cannot motivate them, whoever comes in will need to shake the ego's up.............<ok>

5. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm surprised. It's been on the cards since Christmas. I suppose we put the final nail in his coffin...

6. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Loyalty to his players from last season and not trying to find a new way forward sunk him I think ( I think is my new IMO )

7. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Well at least he will not be remembered as the manager who won them the league then got them relegated.
    Good luck CR.

Possible Rangers job for him?

8. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

They have never recovered from losing Kante. They have kept the same style of play but they lack anyone to put in the same amount of effort. So Drinkwater is having to play a lot deeper this season, hence the balls to Vardy arent there. If they were going to change manager they should have done it 4 or 5 games ago.

seabreeze and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  9. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I hate saying this, but the way Leicester have been performing isn't good enough and as with all clubs in this situation, it doesn't matter 2 hoots what you did last season there is no sentiment in football and never will be, under Ranieri they were going down, as owners they have to try and keep them up and protect their investment. whether we like it or not it was inevitable and I bet a lot of their fans will have thought it is the right thing, whilst lots disagree.

10. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

^^^^^This! The reward for being Champions of the Prem is reward in itself. But it's history. All the outrage I've seen here and in the media is bollocks. The team aren't performing and as always, in a world where the (highly paid) Manager carries the can, he had to go.

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Good luck to CR but in reality he should have resigned, there was no way he was going to achieve anything with the players this year as they were all too busy bashing off to last years success.

They won so many games by the odd goal, 1-0 last year due to the team being so quick and sharp on the counter. They were fit and fast but this year they're ponderous, lacking in ideas and desire. They're just aren't fit enough to be able to play the way they did last year.

Also both Centre backs were, for some unknown reason, given free reign to physically attack anyone at set pieces last year, particularly at corners. Their assaults were highlighted almost every week on MOTD but every week referees allowed them to act like a couple of MMA wrestlers and get away with mirder. This year both, like the rest of the team, have let their fitness levels drop and both, like the rest of the team, are now too slow to get anywhere near the opposition, let alone be able to foul them.

Kifflom! and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  12. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

It seems a strange one to me. I think most of their supporters have been enjoying champions league football so after winning the premiership last term just staying in the division would be fine. Also they are still in with a very good shout of progressing which makes it even more of an odd thing to do. I am sure they have enough quality to avoid the drop.

13. trundles left foot

Your last statement is the reason he has been sacked. But, if I am honest I personally don't think they have that much quality. Mahrez being the only one I can think of who has true quality. But, if some believe they have that quality then Ranieri has to be to blame for the performances and as such he has lost his job. There should be no sentiment from the owners and there cant be s they have to protect their investment (which in all fairness has been a lot of money). Yes he won the league last season, but that is just part of Leicester's history and should have no bearing on what happens this year. Performances have been very poor, the owners have seen fit to sack him in an attempt to what seems an inevitable slide to the championship. he will always be remembered for what he did last year by all Leicester fans. But clubs move on and he wont be the first and he wont be the last to lose his job.

14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

He deserved the sack after this seasons performance TBH Winning the premiership last season was fantastic and he deserved all the plaudits he got at the same time he deserves all the criticism for this season that rightly has ended up with the sack.....

Kifflom! and trundles left foot like this.
  15. Newportswan

Mourinho was right if he had not won the premier league he would still be in a job. His only remit was to stay in the league which without Champions League distraction would have been fairly simple this season. So as Mouriniho says its his own fault. What a crazy game it is for sure. On the other hand we have Wenger who sticks to what is his target top 4 finish no more no less keep your job. Its all about money for the owners

16. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

The difference between Leicester and Chelsea last season , and Leicester and Chelsea this season ...is Kante. I think .

Kifflom! likes this.
  17. swanseaandproud

Arsen have won the premiership 3 times and qualified for the champions league every season since he has been Arsenals manager something Mourinho can only dream about. Rainier was more luck than ability as we have witnessed.

18. trundles left foot

First time I have seen this and at no time does he say no. So basically Casper you did go to the chairman and complain. If you are going to do it have the balls to admit it.

19. swanseaandproud

I cannot understand why some fans and pundits like Liniker are up in arms about Rainieri being sacked.....He should have gone a bit sooner in my opinion as he was taking the club down and tha t was the most important thing that over rides what he did the previous season where he was handsomely rewarded....Monk gave us our best season ever and he was sacked early the next season after a poor start but at least Rainieri has been given the chance to turn things around just like we gave Laudrup the chance but the fact is they were not making the club improve and were teetering on the verge of dropping into the bottom 3 which Leicester have now.....The clubs status is more important than any manager so Leicester and us had no choice but to sack the manager because of our respective positions...The clubs must come first....

20. Newportswan

I was listening to Talk Sport in the car today and they were saying an Italian restaurant in Leicester gave Claudio a fare well lunch. They also said he handed over his £1.5 million payout to charity what a classy man.