1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ross Wilson turns down Director of Football at Rangers offer

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Rangers are talking to Ross Wilson, Southampton's director of scouting, with a view to bringing him in as a director of football, according to Radio Clyde 1.

Wilson, who hails from Falkirk, has worked wonders at a variety of clubs to help ensure stability and a steady flow of highly-rated youth prospects and first-team players since he took the role.

While it's certainly impossible to fault the board's ambition here - Wilson seems to be one of the very best in the business - it's worth wondering why he'd be willing to move to Rangers.

http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/...hampton-supremo-for-director-of-football-role

Loads more Scottish journos talking about it on Twitter as well.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I mentioned this earlier....no one took any notice then either,

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Should of slapped them.

4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I suppose this would make sense if he wants to be closer to home/family and I guess Director of Football is a promotion (broader role and all that) but still... Rangers?

5. fran-MLs little camera

I was going to storm off and not come back, but then I thought why reward them.

6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

All those that have been slagging Les Reed off were out of order, this guy is the real villain / hero who has done all of the dirty work and most of us didn't even know he existed!

7. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Paul Mitchell's still in limbo with Spurs, isn't he?

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Yep

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

No one gets the final word with Levy, I guess. It's bizarre, though...he wants to leave (and perhaps pursue a managerial appointment, if memory serves) because he and Levy didn't see eye to eye, and Spurs aren't going to replace him, but they'll keep paying him on gardening leave rather than let him go.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Don't you mean that You didn't know he existed.? :rolleyes:

Even the most incurious of Saints supporters would have at least read this by now as it's been on the BBC Football website for about two seasons: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34202470

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oi!! I commented :(

And said something along the lines of...

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I still hold hope that Levy will piss Poch off by not signing someone he really wants and Poch ****s off to Barca.

13. fran-MLs little camera

Apologies...wouldn't want to offend you....no one important replied.<laugh>

Libby and fatletiss like this.
  14. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Maybe a cheeky little bid for Paul Mitchell might be in order? LOL

15. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ross-wilson--rangers-target-9846369

Article from the Daily Record about Ross Wilson (though most is lifted from an earlier article in the Daily Mail). It says that it is easy to see why Rangers would be interested in Wilson, but even easier to see why he might stay where he is. I never think things like this are simple....tempting to be a Director of Football at a big club like Rangers (even in a small pond like Scottish football) as a step on a career path. He is effectively blocked at Saints by Les Reed. I like the sentence about Saints may have a small footprint compared with other EPL clubs, but our fingers are everywhere. :)

16. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I look at Les as more a shield of protection than a job block. ;)

17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That's a reasonable article. It once again shows the level of professionalism in the tiny details at Saints, and shows, what many of us already know, that Saints have a class leading system in place, in UK football. Tbh, I'd be rather surprised if Ross Wilson went to Rangers. He'd require a level of investment in backroom systems, hardware, people and strategy, that would be too costly and too long term for a club like Rangers, who'll want near-instant results. Look at Paul Mitchell at Spurs. Soon to be ex-Spurs. It didn't work out for him. It's not the people, it's the system. Wilson is in a far better environment increasing his reputation at Southampton.

18. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I did know but only because I came across it by accident when researching for something else, it has never been shouted from the roof tops, it highlights how little we know about the internal workings of the Club overall, but then many don't care as long as it ticks on.

19. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Mickey Mouse wears a Rangers watch.

That shower are in such a state of disarray that I find it hard to credit anyone in their right mind considering employment with them. The Warburton fiasco is simply the latest in a long line of fiascos. In fact, Rangers seem to be entirely unable to conduct business on any level without it turning into a fiasco of one kind or another. And this is before you consider the fact that they are absolutely destitute. I mean, their striker that went off injured in the last old form game ended up queuing in A&E, still in his strip!

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Always more effective when you storm off and then do come back, looking a bit sheepish, to everyone's barely concealed relief.

SaintsFan86 likes this.