1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ralph Krueger post-EFL Cup interview

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Feb 27, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think Caceres is putting himself in the PL shop window for next season. Understandable perhaps. That's if he plays well enough. Of course, if nothing emerges he may accept a contract. He's 29, so has 3-4 good seasons.

2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I hate to be controversial but I want to see a sale of a number of peripheral players who aren't up to the grade and likely to keep our progression eg Martina (out of contract), Gardos, Isgrove, JRod, Reed, Gazzaniga to start the d bate.
    We need to free up wages and get a few quid in to help bring in better players that will improve our first choice XI

3. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

So you DO want a fire sale. Just on your terms...

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  4. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

Other than Reed I'd be ok with those out. Reed has potential to me and is still quite young.

KillerCephalopod and SaintinNZ like this.
  5. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I agree. While I don't think we need to get rid of all of them, Martina, Gazzaniga, Gardos, Clasie, Davis, Jrod and Long are all playing at a level which I personally think we need to be improving on (Davis I only include because off his age. He runs hot n cold but I'm a fan). Yes there are fan favourites and stalwarts in that list but sentimentality doesn't help us keep our best and it shouldn't interfere with our progress.

6. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Ironic though it is, yes. I think we need a cull of certain players.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There is player movement every season in all teams...partly player led and partly because teams find someone better or someone who improved the balance of the team. Our recent problem has been losing players any team would want to keep, but selling those players at a high price has enabled us to bring others in and balance the books a bit. We may not care about the books, but luckily for us the board does....it is a business after all. We have still managed to keep a good side going....unlike being the relegation candidates predicted by the media. This summer will be different...there is really only one candidate for an offer we can't refuse (but I believe we will), so I suspect there will be a few moving on to clear the way for players we want. And I will miss all in their way....I tend to get too fond, so be grateful I don't run the club....I would have a rest home for all excess players so I wouldn't have to fire them. :)

8. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Yeah. bearing in mind he's just signed a new long-term contract, he's clearly in our future plans.

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I think Long could leave (but I did say that last summer too).

10. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

A "Fire Sale" implies unplanned and panic.
    I am urging a well thought out movement of players out of the club that either don't fit, getting to old or not adding value in order to clear space for either new incoming players or bringing through the youth

Saint Helen likes this.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Agree with you, but the media have a knee jerk reaction when they hear that Saints are selling a player. Expect to hear the words fire sale next season when we move on a few players in an orderly fashion. Other teams manage to sell players without a single journalist waking from their postprandial stupor. It is a compliment I suppose that other teams and the media pay so much attention to Southampton....we have quite the rep for bringing in or raising gems. One day I hope we will attract attention for results rather than being an imagined feeder club for bigger sides.

12. redandwight

redandwight Active Member

I'd take £10m for Fraser, anything that is not straight at him this season seems to find it's way into the net!

13. fran-MLs little camera

Rumours about that Everton want him. I'm holding fire at the moment....I agree if he really is poor, but there may be stuff in the background that we are unaware of. He has been good...so no reason to think he might not be again....unless there are physical reasons.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

When their contracts are coming to an end, then sure. But we have most of our key players on long contracts now, so we'll see what happens in the summer.

I'm allowing myself to dream that this will be the first time since the "Poch Rat Out Disaster Summer" that the club holds a strong hand and won't cave in. Time will tell.

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

And the only thing that was straight at him was in the 86th minute on Sunday...

(Not that I'm blaming him, it was a good, powerful header).

I'm not sure - I think he still is a top keeper, he was playing through injury and now I think his confidence is gone a bit. Well a lot. To me, he has never been one to do th Hollywood dive if he knows the ball is going in. He just stands there. De Gea did it for Gabbi's 2nd. No point in injuring yourself doing a dramatic dive if it is going in anyway. Also, a good friend of mine is a goalkeeper for a non league side - he says that he was trained to do that as sometimes the ball could hit the post etc and you wouldn't save it if you were on the floor. SOunds weird to me as surely instinct would make you dive, but I guess that is the difference between a top keeper and me.

16. Archers Road

Can't argue with any of that. In fact, I wish the board would stf up, and stop tempting fate.

Still hoping this summer will be different though.

17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

They could do worse than sign Luke Shaw if they can get Manchester United to lower their buying price by £5 million.

18. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

19. Archers Road

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  20. fran-MLs little camera

Loads of reports like this....which have all been lifted from his interview which starts this blog. I would take it to mean that it is Saints intention to keep Virgil. This is being said not in a bulldog defending his house kind of way, but more like a really polite Labrador hoping you won't want to come in..