1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rafa- Surprises are coming....

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there's a gauge of what "enough" is, it's definitely more about being savvy imo - i.e. Reina would be £3m very well spent as 34 as he's very much at the top of his game, Everton buy Pickford for £30m, who's still developing, will be excellent in a few years no doubt, but I'd rather have Reina in goal at the moment.

Abraham would have been a great signing and for a minimal outlay, it's a shame the Clement/Chelsea links have decided everything, as we'd have been a much better club for him.

2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Have to say that I'm pleased Abrahams is going elsewhere. He is not the level striker we need now especially if it is on loan.

Also I'm not concerned about the amount we spend I'm more interested on who we spend whatever monies on.

Kryptonite and Flash like this.
  3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Tammy still believes he'll make it at Chelsea - he's got Balon D'Or dreams with Carte D'Or talent. I'd bet a mortgage on him never getting there - he's nowhere near as talented as Lukaku (who didn't make it), Drogba or Costa. He'll either mentally level out, realise his level and be happy with it or be a petulant child believing he should be the best when the reality is he's just 'ok'.

I know Hank will say "we're just a promoted team", but if you aim for 17th, you'll inevitably get relegated. Our aim - realistic or not - is top 6 and a trophy next season. It HAS to be. Subsequently we have to look to the whole of football as considerably more ambitious than being Chelsea's feeder club.

Still strikes me as utter madness that Chelsea minus the last 10 years are barely any bigger than Newcastle. One bloke and a big fcking chequebook should never, ever have been allowed to create such inequity. But then, that's Capitalism for ya!

4. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

This.

PS Heard Chippy was asking after you...

<whistle>

J. J. McClure likes this.
  5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Sadly yes. To give it context of course you have to loo and see we made 30m on transfers last year. What I'm saying is the 100m budgets some get fanciful about, I don't think are there. We have shown previously in less extravagant time we are willing to spend 57m in a season. Nobody else except Europes elite were spending similar amounts.

Also to give it context, 50m is not a lot of spend on a promoted side as poor as ours, Brighton or Huddersfield. Lets not kid ourselves there was not a great deal between the 3 all season. All 3 will probably spend 30-50m just to try and survive.

And lastly for context, the TV deal is circa 100m plus! Once you add in other revenue streams and take off the bills, you've still got a healthy amount of money.

So yeah my expectations given our situation and the context of the league we're competing in are very little <whistle>

6. Warmir Pouchov

You're absolutely ****ing nuts. Our goal is to survive.

7. Warmir Pouchov

I assume Rafa doesn't really rate him

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Still odd in my opinion. If it is true we are looking to get rid of Colback then we only have Shelvey and Hayden (I don't class Diame as a central midfielder) so we need at least 2 first team players there! This Ghanaian fella sounds ok if everyone is to be believed but we still need better quality.

9. Warmir Pouchov

It is entirely about quality. What we spend is irrelevant. If I can get 5 top class players for 20m then great.

It just so happens that in football, you generally get what you pay for. However you can shortcut the odd time. Its when you try and buy a whole squad like that you come massively unstuck. Sunderland have tried this and failed badly. Spent years hovering and then down the chute.

Delusional Full Stop and Flash like this.
  10. Warmir Pouchov

Who knows what the thinking is? I don't really rate Anita that highly. But he is better than Colback. This Ghanian fella is a complete unknown. You are relying completely on Rafa knowing what he is doing. Time will tell.

Flash likes this.

11. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Hopefully it wasn't Rafa in charge of Liverpool when they signed Salif Diao!

12. Lord Jonjomort

He can ask all he wants, he's dead to me!

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  13. Lord Jonjomort

The aim of survival works well. Let's ring Aitor and Davey boy, see how they got on aiming for survival.

14. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

15. Warmir Pouchov

Unless there is a massive change in the squad then as a fan you know the score.

Obviously that's not what you tell the press or the players. I don't believe as a manager you need to set targets. The target should always be for low end clubs. Get to 40 points as quickly as possible. One game at a time. Boring but very effective.

16. Warmir Pouchov

Er Houllier I think? Bit before Rafa's time. Did Rafa not sign Sissoko Mark 1, and declare him the new Vieira <laugh> He was decent though.

Flash likes this.
  17. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I hate the idea of us forking out loads on just an average player. Some.of the deals that have gone though in the last 12 month have been ridiculous. Having said that if there is the opportunity to push the boat out on someone that will make people think we are serious about taking the club forward then we should do it...no idea who that would be mind. I would just like one player who is a proper boss. This would even stretch to Carrick on a season long deal for instance. Just some proven quality.

18. Lord Jonjomort

19. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

You died first.

Nernernenener

20. Warmir Pouchov

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-during-his-six-year-reign-at-Liverpool.html

Balanced view over his reign. To be honest the good signings were the ones he forked out the money for generally. He is not what you would call a shrewd operator picking up bargains and turning them into world beaters. Its a good job he has a foreign name otherwise we'd be saying he Benitiezed them <whistle>

To be fair his results were good overall.