1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Racing Presenters On Itv

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by woolcombe-folly007, May 18, 2016.

1. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

clearly your concerns are well founded , a commercial channel that is ratings driven is bound to go for lowest common denominator .........market forces

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Absolutely, this is why I believe that they are doomed to failure.

Sky and BT have already snapped up all the sports that are viable as commercial ventures because there are enough mugs that follow football and rugby to pay extortionate amounts for commercial television.

Minority sports do not have a big enough following to generate subscribers for pay-to-view, which is why they still persist on free-to-air television where advertising is the revenue stream. Racing may be statistically the most attended sport but it happens over 300 days a year and has a lot of repeat visitors.

It is a well documented fact that in the modern digital era, young people increasingly turn to the internet for their entertainment, especially if they can download it from somewhere for free rather than pay for it. I do not see ITV attracting a new young audience to horse racing (especially during the week and on ITV4) so they will just be trying to capitalise on the current Channel 4 armchair audience. The commercial breaks will still be dominated by adverts for bookmakers, Over 50s plans and equity release schemes.

The only result I can see is horse racing disappearing from terrestrial television, leaving just Racing UK and At The Races for hard-core followers. The Grand National, The Derby and Royal Ascot may survive on free-to-air. This will have a direct impact on racing because sponsors will reduce their input into the sport as the media coverage begins to dwindle.

3. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Feel that racing, whether on terrestrial TV, Racing UK or At the Races, should concentrate on its core audience and not attempt to be some 'entertainment' with personalities presenting the coverage. Stick to those who are knowledgeable, for example James Willoughby, and forget 'faces' who would attempt to reach the 'young'. I am fairly sure ITV will have done their homework and only wish to ensure the current Channel 4 audience continues to view on terrestrial TV.

I shall continue to view on all three channels depending on which individuals are presenting, discussing betting trends and carrying out the interviews with the winning connections.

I speak as a self confessed 'mug' who contributes a great deal of my pension to viewing football from various European Leagues, the Champion's League and International matches. I wonder if any of my fellow mugs have noticed that the standard of movies on Sky Cinema has fallen since BT Sport took over the Champion's League and some of the EPL.

QM; you know me too well! As a bachelor with a mother approaching ninety years young, no siblings and no (known) offspring I find the advertisements for Equity Release quite interesting and certainly intend taking advantage of this 'cash' if required.

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

ITV have done their homework pretty poorly, unless Sheikh Mo is a major ITV shareholder or ‘Dubai’ plan to quadruple their sponsorship deal from what they were giving Channel 4.

ITV paid four times what Channel 4 were paying for the TV rights. That is good news for racing (short term) because of the extra money. Given that Channel 4 would not pay France Galop’s hiked image rights fee to show the Arc meeting this year, I think that the only place that it will be shown in 2017 will be Sky or one of the pay-to-view operators like this year.

When the ITV coverage starts, the mute button on the remote may get worn out quickly if their presentation is as insipid as Channel 4 had become.

My totally personal view of the sport of horseracing now is that I will scarcely go to the races in 2017 (currently just four days in the calendar) whereas I used to go thirty times a year before Racing For Change screwed up the fixture list. So I am one customer that may abandon the sport altogether.

5. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Have never been a regular visitor to the horseracing for many years now; retiral and my Mum's inability to travel put paid to that enjoyment. Used to enjoy a jaunt to Ayr or particularly Newcastle to see the locals in their state of winter 'undress'. Solely odd trip to Auteuil for me!

When I was on the go with my Mum we used to enjoy the experience of the racing in NYC, Paris and throughout Germany. We also used to enjoy the evening meeting at Sandown very close to The Derby and of course The Festival.

6. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Apologies if this has been talked about/posted elsewhere, but I have only just found it, dated end of November.

Full list of presenters and reporters - some ex C4, some ex ATR/RUK. Chapman is included, although not in a strictly presenting role, Alice Plunkett and Rishi Persad are given "reporting" roles. (" Matt Chapman as betting presenter and reporter. ")

Mick Fitz, AP, Hayley Turner, Jason Weaver, Brian Gleeson and Brough Scott are their "experrts" while Frankie of course, will appear as and when required!

Ed Chamberlain will be the main presenter with Francesca Cumani as his co-presenter. There are jobs for relatively new people in Sally-Ann Grassick, Victoria Pendleton, and Lucy Verasamy ("weather" expert)

There will be a morning show - "Oli Bell will present the morning magazine show, with Richard Hoiles as lead commentator, alongside Mark Johnson"

Of slightly more concern, may be the amount of coverage planned.... 41 days of coverage on ITV with a TOTAL of "almost" 100 days in all, with the bulk of it then, on ITV4. The fixture list shows New Years Day, then nothing on ITV until March! I have to assume that the weekends in-between will therefore be covered by ITV4, but as they don't list any fixtures for ITV 4, it IS just an assumption. Clearly they are taking all the major English race meetings and festivals with ITV, leaving the lesser events to the fourth channel. So essentially, ITV4 will be the "racing channel" with big brother taking over for the major meets - a kind of reverse of what C4 do with their use of More 4 for any "overspill"

But listen, there will still be terrestrial coverage, and for the one's who don't subscribe to Sky, RUK or ATR it can only be a good thing. We will undoubtedly still moan and whinge about anything and everything, but that's what makes us human :)

http://www.itv.com/racing/itv-racing-is-back-heres-all-the-details-of-our-coverage

7. Gladness

Gladness Member

As someone mentioned in an earlier post and as I posted on a rival forum, the lack of HD on ITV4 for for many, will surely be a negative. Some viewers with more expensive Virgin and Sky packages will be able to get ITV4 in HD, however Freeview viewers and those on basic packages will only receive it in standard resolution. A real disadvantage if you like to see detail of horses and of the races. This cannot be good; you can turn off the commentary but without a good picture it isn't a good experience. Certainly I wouldn't pay to receive Racing UK as the pictures are poor.

8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Clearly ITV have not researched in massive depth given that Mick Fitzgerald made it on. Alistair Down is the man they should have brought back.

Chapman will be fantastic in the betting ring and in amongst people- he'll be worth watching.

I suspect that we will end up with coverage similar to what we see at Breeders Cup.

9. Steveo77

Steveo77 Well-Known Member

The biggest losers really will be NH racing.

The first Saturday coverage that ITV1 will show is not until Grand National Day<laugh>

10. Steveo77

Steveo77 Well-Known Member

I really can't see why ITV1 will get too many more viewers than channel 4 and for that reason the decision by racing to not continue with channel 4, who were able to showcase the sport every Saturday could end up being a bad one.

By the way the new "morning" show will be on at 10am. Too late?

11. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Yes crap scheduling if that's the case. Should start at 8 a.m. latest.

12. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Well ITV's not long been on but im a little underwelmed so far... Lets hope it picks up eh...??

Got to give em time to get it right havnt we...??

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Most will already have gone to work by then, so the only people watching will be stable staff that started very early and pensioners picking their daily Lucky 15... presumably they do not want it to clash with their huge ratings winner Good Morning Britain as they are paying Piers Morgan silly money.

Not a great start by new betting guru Matt Chapman after the first televised winner at Cheltenham, telling viewers that if they had put £4 on Whisper they would get back £11. Only if they were betting with Chapman Bookmakers, who would not give them their stake back – £4 at 11/4 returns £15 Muppet!

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Improvements so far vs. Channel 4:

1) With Ascot and Taunton off, ITV took time to analyse the races at Haydock properly and had interesting debate between including the excellent Brough Scott who appears to have been well received universally

2) This Saturday they are showing all 9 races live from Cheltenham interspersed with the best from Docnaster. Channel 4 would have had their normal 2 hour programme sandwiched between a Ronald Reagan Western and a documentary of lobster fishing.

Putting the sport first <applause>

rudebwoy and Ron like this.
  15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I saw a debate on ITV consisting of Matt Chapman, Brough Scott and another ex jockey (forgotten his name - maybe Luke Harvey?). I don't know who the presenter was but he was clearly a big fan of Brough Scott and did not like Matt Chapman at all. Virtually every question was aimed at Brough and he was extremely rude (very dismissive) to Matt on two occasions, more or less reducing Matt to someone resembling a spare prick at a wedding. Smarmy git too. Took an instant dislike to him.

16. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Possibly Oli Bell WHO I agree can come across smarmy at times.

I think they are underplaying Chapman - almost wanting him to be another McCririck, loud mouth and betting aspects only. If you watch him regularly on ATR he has much more to offer than that.

woolcombe-folly007 and Ron like this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree. He's good value

18. the don

the don Well-Known Member

To make the programme a success they have to get chappers into the parade ring. Questions to connections other than him are a complete waste of time and actually misleading for average joe..... why have anyone in the betting ring at all, it's all electronic! Show live exchange prices with blue / red trigger tolerances and bookie prices. Let chappers loose to ask questions and probe - personally think would transform the whole show and racing in general if they did

rudebwoy, Reebok and floridaspearl like this.
  19. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Worrying trend set for Racing on ITV this weekend. They have given sport two 150 minutes+ slots on their channels on Saturday afternoon – one on the main channel and the other on ITV4. We’ve a well above average Saturday card at Newbury featuring the richest handicap hurdle in the Isle, the Denman Chase and the race named in honour of Sir Brucie – the ‘Good Game, Good Game, Spirit Chase’. However, despite this Racing is on the latter with Rugby, bally Rugby for heaven’s sake, given precedence and put on ITV1! And it’s only Ireland playing Italy at that.

Boxing apart they cannot be a more camper, duller and tedious ‘sport’ than Rugby and to see Racing’s new broadcaster give this dross priority over horse racing really has to be the final straw. Things ain’t looking good re the sport on terrestrial TV, pilgrims.

20. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Sport is different things to different folk. And while I agree about rugby - ANY rugby - there are lots of competitors for the tedious title in my opinion.

Cricket comes high on MY list, yet lots of chaps adore the bleedin' thing <laugh>

I love snooker, yet lots of people use it as sleep inducement. You pays your money etc ...........

Ron likes this.