1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QSF - Is going

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, May 13, 2016.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

2. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

So is BBC

3. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

DidnĀ“t see this coming...Must be a new thing from the owners...wonder if all the media will make a mountain out of a mole hill in Herts...

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    geitungur akureyrar likes this.
  4. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Just heard him interviewed on 5-Live, sounded rather resigned to his fate. Massive irony was them quoting the West Ham manager saying this was crazy - I bet he did not think that last season when West Ham sacked Fat Sam and gave him the job.

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Except fat sam had West Ham middling for a few years and had them as a stable mid table club. You've only just bee promoted!.

I would not be surprised if you guys get relegated next year..... (surprisingly i didn't have you down this year). One thing i will say is though you have a cracking keeper in Gomes who will make fantastic saves with the occasional massive clanger so i guess you have that going for you still

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

not really the way it happened, Allardyce didn't get his contract renewed as he failed in getting us to his target objective (10th), we gained less than 10 points after Christmas, and the crowd had become hostile.
    I think the majority of fans wanted Sam to stay up until around March last year. The vocal minority is always heard, and the play on the pitch reflected the hostility from the stands, players became nervous and couldn't play to their abilities. Allardyce HAD to go, if he hadn't we'd have been Newcastle, the toxic home atmosphere would've sent us down like it has them.

7. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Frequent changes of manager appear to be the norm in Italy and I suppose most fans put the results of their team ahead of any affection for the manager. Perhaps the money is not too bad but I wonder why anyone would want the job. Stress, abuse, job insecurity...it's not for the faint-hearted!

8. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

It's an odd one really as although everyone says it's a results business in this case it is the performances (and team selection had quite some bearing on this) since our tough Christmas sequence of fixtures that have cost QSF the backing of the fans and the board. In print the decision is madness... the reality is somewhat different.

In the Pozzo's I trust.

9. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, I thought Fat Sam was doing a better job than that. But Leicester would be another good example....

10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Swap Allardyce for QSF in that post and it could virtually pass for our post-Christmas story.

11. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

A victim of his pre Christmas success perhaps and failing to get to the cup final - we won't get such a good chance of that for a while.
    Perhaps if we had another striker to compliment Iggy and Deeney, we may have fared better recently but always remembering some very good performances since Christmas which brought no points.
    A pity I liked the man and his laid back personality, a nice warm gent.

aberdeenhornet likes this.
  12. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I agree - he almost started too well and didn't build on.

Of course this does mean the new manager will have to make a solid start too.

The Pozzos won't care about the stick and we just have to support whoever comes in but there will be a lot of stick IF we ended up nearer the relegation zone!

Mind you that is the risk they take I guess.

13. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I can't help wondering if things are not right on the training ground. There seem to be a number of disaffected players. QSF seems a nice bloke but he hasn't given much hope to fringe players. I also think that the Pozzos are probably unhappy with the performance of some of the players that QSF insisted on buying. They allowed him to go against their usual transfer policy but neither Amrabat nor Suarez have justified (or been allowed to justify) the fees that were paid for them.

It seems to me that QSF has not fitted in to the model that the Pozzos have created at the club.

14. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

Farewell to the finest scarf and jacket combination in the Premier league.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  15. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Who has fitted in with the Pozzo's model ? Granada have had 11 managers since 2007, though, interestingly, they have all been Spanish. Granada also have 13 Spanish players in their squad of 27. So either the Pozzo's do not rate English football very highly or their model fits more neatly to Spanish football.

16. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

English footballers are more expensive than their Continental counterparts - simple economics. What all the furore seems to have missed is that Flores was not the manager but the head coach - world of difference.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  17. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

That was the point I was trying to make. Could QSF have been trying to be a manager rather than a head coach?

18. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

A quote I found, I hope it is true, seems about right - "In 2016, Watford have averaged just 0.83 points per game in the top-flight (W4 D3 L11), compared to 1.53 points per game in the first-half of the season (W8 D5 L6)"

I think for the Pozzos that is the bottom line.

End of.

19. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was master of his own destiny. Yes, we have survived the league, yes we got to the semi final, but let's not forget that our run to Wembley was faltering to say the least. A lucky late goal against Notts Forest, an own goal by Leeds, and if the Arse had been scoring all their shots on target we would have lost by miles, we got very lucky that day, Danny Welbeck wouldn't usually miss two sitters. Couple that with dire performances in the league since Christmas that have frankly been painful to watch, not what anyone would call entertaining, together with players being either played out of position, or not played at all, to the point of them scratching their heads miserably and wondering a. why they bothered coming to Watford and b. why the club would have spent so much money on them, which i'm sure the Pozzos are wondering too, and there you have it. The reason the head coach is gone. Interestingly, if you look back at articles from Valencia when he was there, they make very similar viewing. Too stubborn to change 'the system', playing the same old tired players when it obviously wasn't working, inflexible with no plan B. The man has learned nothing in 6 years and i for one am relieved the torture is finally over. Nice bloke, awful 'Manager'.

Bolton's Boots, Saxet and canary-dave like this.
  20. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

And they make up only 33% of the players in their own top domestic league - which tends to suggest that they're not as good either.