1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Sheff Weds

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Apr 17, 2017.

1. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Hardly comparing apples with apples there though sb.

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Ollie keeps changing his WiFi passwords.

BlindFaith, rangercol and qpherts like this.
  3. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

He's tweeting like a good'un at the moment.

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

What Ollie is doing is beyond inept and I am rapidly losing all faith in the man.

GoldhawkRoad, Uber_Hoop and qpherts like this.
  5. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

Onwards n upwards training ground youth players blah blah am I close?

6. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

I was very critical after the Bristol City game because we were second best all game to a team that had long been in the relegation mire. Today, as Nines has said, we gave it a go and were the better team in the second half, putting Wednesday under quite a bit of pressure and creating quite a few half chances which never quite resulted in a shot on goal. Smith had the most awful miss from about 7-8 yards with a header in the 85th minute.

I thought we started with 5-3-2 when the opposition had the ball which, as you would expect, morphed into 3-5-2 when we were attacking. However, the defensive part of that formation, 5-3-2, really isn't working for us and, when we inevitably go behind, Holloway shakes it up and we look better. I am surprised that Holloway is persevering with 5-3-2: we've had probably one clean sheet in the last 20 matches: Plan A isn't working and, perhaps, we should start with Plan B, which has generally looked better. To be honest, I couldn't tell you what the formation was when we were bringing on subs and chasing the game. It all got a bit chaotic. And doesn't that speak volumes?

Their two goals were very soft. The first was an attempted clearance in the penalty area by (I think) Bidwell which cannoned off one of our own players, straight to one of theirs, who slotted it home. For the second, we allowed them a couple of free headers, the second of which, from a narrow-ish angle, somehow squeezed past Smithies. Does anyone remember his last save?

As for the players, Freeman again looked excellent, although some of his passes were going astray, particularly in the first half. Our latest CBs, Perch and Bidwell, did OK, although (surprise, surprise) the former was booked late on for a wild lunge. Lynch is till trying - and failing - with his Hollywood passes. Mackie was Mackie and he rushed around with some effect. Luongo was much better than against Bristol City and had a decent game. Cilla was worth a start and looked more effective than Smith (who only got 15 minutes, to be fair). Lua Lua kept falling over and, frankly, looked a bit of a clown. He had one shot which was a decent chance but it nearly took the roof off the Loft stand. Manning had a quieter game. Petrasso seemed mystified by what he was being asked to play and his confidence must have taken a huge dent when he was subbed at half time. Nice man management that, Ollie.

A broadly entertaining game which we could easily have drawn. I wonder what would have happened if we had started with a more overtly attacking formation and round pegs in round holes....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    NorwayRanger, QPR999 and Ciarrai_Abu like this.
  7. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Yup.

8. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

After a long night out in the city I fell aslepp on the underground and was woken by the driver at West Ruislip. It was the last train. I had to hitch hike home!

kiwiqpr and BlindFaith like this.
  9. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Among Holloway's match quotes:
    “It’s just very frustrating. It would be nice to get three points..."
    No $hit, brains. How about trying a cohesive, and focused, team unit and settle on the best formation for the players we have (and that you intend to keep/build upon for next season), so we are not left to chase the game and have to 'give it a go' every match... oh and stop the other team from scoring.

10. QPR Oslo

I read he also spoke about how big teams like Wednesday and Saints had gone down to League 1 on their way to recovery, like it's no big deal if we do the same.

11. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

Hardly what we want to be doing. I do think that Holloway could do with speaking less and thinking more

Hoop-Leif and QPR Oslo like this.
  12. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

I'm finding it hard to understand the positive comments about this game. Wednesday looked a very ordinary outfit on this showing and yet we were second best from the off, letting them completely run the show tactically and with only the unquenchable enthusiasm of Jamie Mackie offering anything in return. Wednesday seemed happy to let us have more of the ball in the second half safe in the knowledge that we had no idea where the goal was regardless of how much time we spend in their half.

Luongo had one of his typical Jeckyll and Hyde performances. He was totally dire in the first half, always managing to be where the ball wasn't, failing to link up the play or provide an option for the man on the ball and every touch going backwards. He was much better second half, breaking up the play and providing some decent forward balls. As well as the glaringly obvious business of still needing a consistent striker I strongly believe Luongo's position is central to our success or failure going forward. If it is the manager's tactics which are stopping him being effective then that manager needs to go. If, as I suspect, it is the mentality of the player himself then there is no place for him in the side.

Finally, what is it with Smithies? Several more bad mistakes yesterday. Ever since he signed that new contract he seems like a shadow of the best goalkeeper in the league which we saw earlier in the season.

mcytiger and QPR Oslo like this.
  13. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Neither goal was Smithies fault yesterday QPAAAARGH
    The first one richochet off Perch's back and it fell to a Wednesday striker.
    For the second, he made a fantastic save to keep Wednesday out, but got no help from defenders and was beaten by the second.
    He made a bad punch but that is all I remember

I have said consistently I am sure he will not be here in September...we will have sold him as we have cover in Ingrams and Lumley (and the polish giant keeper too). His money wil be used to fund a striker and a CD. He has nothing to repay us, and has signed a new contract, so we can get top money for him (from Bournemouth perhaps)

14. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Agreed, but he got nothing in the air all game which gave their big guys free reign and that attempted punch in the first half was verging on the comical. Add to that his kicking which was well below par and it was another performance way off his pre-contract best. Having said that I still hope you're wrong about his departure. He's the best we've seen for some time.

15. QPR Oslo

Nice goal we scored.

16. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Went to the game, and frustration cancelled out any enjoyment I might have had. It seems typical Holloway to put out a team that will be valiant losers. Odd team selection meant we were poor in the first half and thus always chasing the game. Petrasso does not look like a first team player to me, though since he was played out of position, I won't judge on that showing.

I know he has his fans, but Luongo is so inconsistent, I'd get shot. And Perch. Freeman on the other hand looked dangerous at times and was one of the few shining lights. Lua Lua isn't back to his best after injury, but he's one of the few players that give me some hope.

Good to see Gerry Francis at half time, and given a great reception - and interesting, that when he stated that LF, Holloway etc would take us back to the Premier promised land, there was barely a whimper from the crowd. No one believed it.

qprbeth and mcytiger like this.
  17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Clive's match report ...

Wednesday make it five straight defeats for hapless Rangers - Report

Tuesday, 18th Apr 2017 22:55 by Clive Whittingham

QPR are staring down the barrel of six straight defeats for the second time this season following a second 2-1 defeat of the Easter weekend, against Sheff Wed at Loftus Road on Monday.

Queens Park Rangers’ determination to keep people interested in/panicked by their 2016/17 season right down to the bitter end stretched into a fifth consecutive defeat against Sheffield Wednesday on Easter Monday.

This one had much in common with the four that went before it. Again, Rangers were beaten by a single goal, 2-1 for the third game in succession. Again, as at Villa and Bristol City and at home to Brighton, it could reasonably be argued that they may have taken something from the same game on a different day – referee Andy Davies said no to two very reasonable penalty appeals from the hosts and Matt Smith missed a sitter. But, again, the scoreline was somewhat flattering to Rangers, who responded to yet another team selection riddled with changes with a confused, disjointed performance which Wednesday really should have overcome a lot more easily than they did.

Two games in a weekend is always likely to bring challenges, and given Nedum Onuoha suffered a bad knock to the head at Bristol City and Darnell Furlong left the field at Ashton Gate at half time it’s probably fair to assume both were unable to play here through injury. With Grant Hall also out defensive options were few and far between and the backline bore a horribly lop-sided look with three left footers amongst the five - two of them recognised left backs - utility man James Perch asked to play as a third centre back and young winger Michael Petrasso starting at right wing back.

- See more at: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/45521#sthash.haWO74PY.dpuf

18. QPR Oslo

Stange that Clive or nowhere else I have seen mentions the goal, other than how nobody could see it go in the centre of the goal. It was a very nicely worked move looking at it on the highlights posted just above, played at speed on the ground with Luongo, Manning with a lovely back flick, Mackie and then Cylla's alert and good finish. Deserved some credit that!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Tramore Ranger likes this.
  19. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Been out of town for the last few games, so was thinking of going to the Forest game - although starting to think doing bugger all might be more fun. Anyone else thinking of making a day of it?

20. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It's my eldest lad's birthday and we're going.