1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR V Leeds highlights

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by LeedsLover, Mar 12, 2017.

1. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Seems to be a mixed bag of opinions on our performance v QPR.

Redders thought we played well, Monk gives his post match interview, quote,

Leeds boss Garry Monk: "There are no excuses from us, we didn't do enough to win the game. We were below the standards, especially at Elland Road, of what we usually set.

"The positives are that we kept a clean sheet and we got a point. It extends our unbeaten run. this group will always respond, we are all in it together and will win and lose together. You always get ups and down.

and some fans don't think we played so well, including me.

Listening to Popey and Whelan suggests we didn't play well, while Leeds may have had the most possession, 63%, QPR had 13 shots with 3 on target, Leeds had 6 shots and zero on target, where is the "this group will always respond" performances.

Seems Holloway did his homework, and while keeping Wood quiet, he got his players to prevent crosses, and crosses getting to him.

Is the lone striker formation our best formation? it's certainly a defensive formation, and Monk has been playing it virtually all season; the football hasn't been great, and we only seem to win by an odd goal, quite a few 1-0 wins winning ugly.

Is Monk a one trick pony? same players, same formation, same mediocre football, he doesn't seem to want to take any risk, and as many supporters keep saying, we don't have a plan B.

Seems to me that Monk relies heavily on our wingers and overlapping defenders to get the ball across and relies on Wood to tap it in, but we have no mids, no attacking mids who can, and are willing to shoot from edge of penalty box. I've been saying all season we need to take more shots from middle around edge of penalty box and we need to attack more from around the D. I sense the instructions are to get it too the wingers, hence Monks regular "we had a plan and stuck to the plan"..............what plan?

Yes, we're in playoff positions, and it looks good on paper, but it's fair to say the football doesn't look so good at moment, certainly not encouraging signs for playoff finals against such teams as Hudders, Wednesday or even Fulham. Fulham it seems are now the danger team if we don't keep winning, and Reading aren't no push overs either.

Our run in to playoff finals suggests it's going to be hard, our level of football suggests, at this moment in time we won't win the finals.

1mins-36secs, these are what they class as extended highlights

Monks post match interview

Redders interview.........he thought we played well.

ellandback likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly as Green usually gets blamed for everything, great save by him against his old club, it must have been fresh in the back of his mind what happened on the opening day of the season the last time he faced QPR

You write LL like we have a given right and passage to the PL, you write like we have the leagues greatest players? You yourself feel our midfield is weak, that Wood is not very good and that Green is a liability, with such a band of misfits our position surely exceeds us?

We work well as a team, yes the wheels have come off slightly but we have gone from a team that season after season flirted with relegation to a top 6, that is great progress and I feel we have been spoilt by our display against Derby.

It was the Derby game that convinced me we can win promotion, realistically there are 4-5 teams more deserving than us but I'll take 6th best this season as long as we build on it for next.

We just don't have the players to go 4-4-2 Doukara, Roofe, Antonsson are not good enough, our ventures into 4-4-2 at the start of the season were easily our worst performances.

I'm happy to knock Monk or question some of his decisions but at the end of the day, he has brought together a virtually brand new team and got them into the top 6 - On day one we would have all taken this position

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

I'm not a manager by any means and I'm sure Monk knows what he is doing but to play your top scorer in goal does seem a trifle odd to me <doh>

Marcos Barber, LeedsLover and ristac like this.
  4. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Perhaps you should have tried it yesterday? <laugh><laugh><laugh>

MIGHTY, FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  5. LeedsLover

Ristac, with respects, put all the little digs you have against me to bed, I'll have a decent conversation/debate with you about anything, but if you're so obsessed with finding fault and having a dig at everything I write then stay away from my posts/comments.

Let me touch on how you write with your little digs. You seem to think that anyone who has an opinion that you disagree with is an idiot, especially LL, however, let's turn it around, let's flip the coin, those with a different opinion to you may think you're an idiot too, because your opinion disagrees with theirs.....get the picture.......cheers, I knew you'd understand.

Let me dissect what you wrote, and misunderstood, paragraph by paragraph.

"You write LL like we have a given right and passage to the PL, you write like we have the league's greatest players? You yourself feel our midfield is weak, that Wood is not very good and that Green is a liability, with such a band of misfits our position surely exceeds us?"

Where in my comments does it suggest I believe we have a right of passage to the PL, or the league's greatest players.............it doesn't, my comments suggest the opposite.........but if it did......shouldn't you be praising or agreeing with me for having such a positive attitude, instead of having your digs about my opinions?

You wrote, "and I feel we have been spoilt by our display against Derby" and "It was the Derby game that convinced me we can win promotion", one game, we put in one good performance against Derby and you believe we can win promotion, based on one game out of 36 played so far??????

Where in my comments does it say, or suggest I insinuated our mids are weak.............it doesn't............what I said was, "but we have no mids, no attacking mids who can, and are willing to shoot from edge of penalty box. I've been saying all season we need to take more shots from middle around edge of penalty box and we need to attack more from around the D. Completely different to what you said.

However, if you remember the game where we won 4-1 against Preston, without Wood, you'll notice some of the mids scored, Roofe, Duke, Sacko and Hernandez, Hernandez's goal came from play down middle. Was that a different formation? some seemed to think so back then, so did Whelan and Popey from memory, and did the instructions from bench seem to be different from other games?

Where has Hernandez's other goals come from, and where has Duke's other goals come from?

You are the one who brought my opinions on Green and Wood up, not me, I never even mentioned my personal opinions in regards to those two. Naughty boy.

You wrote, "We work well as a team, yes the wheels have come off slightly" you say we work well as a team, even though our performances are mediocre, then you say the wheels have fallen off slightly; I'm presuming you're agreeing our performances aren't the best, are you?

You also wrote, "but we have gone from a team that season after season flirted with relegation to a top 6, that is great progress". Allow me to describe how it works, based on my opinions of course,

Team that finishes 21st are still in championship the following season, teams in positions 3,4,5 and 6 play off in playoff finals, 3 of those teams are still in championship the following season..........all 4 teams have nothing gained, if Monk doesn't get us promoted, he's achieved nothing, because the following season is a whole different ball game........ask Leicester.

I used to show my passion for Leeds by putting them down for a win virtually every game........ask Penshawdave, then I began to look at things from a more realistic point of view. Blackwell got us into playoffs............yet here we are, still in championship.....near misses are not successes.

Question, who's job is it to get the players playing our best football every week, or most of season at best, Monk, Cellino, Rads, Bridcutt, Pep, Beattie?

You wrote "I'm happy to knock Monk or question some of his decisions" good, then allow others to do same without digs or attacks.

Things look different when shoe's on other foot, doesn't it?

No malice intended Ristac, despite your regular digs, there never has been......:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With such a long reply LL I feel I should at least acknowledge your effort.

First point; the Derby game, no it wasn't that one game, it was the pinnacle, it was the turning point for me, it included the games just prior to that.

Little digs; it doesn't matter how we concede a goal 9/10 you will blame Green in your highlights. Green clearly saved us from going a goal down, I was merely pointing out your failure to offer him praise.

Yes I am agreeing our performances are not the best but I too am guilty of expecting too much too often.

I stick by my opinion that we haven't the players to pull off 4-4-2 and I stick by my opinion that Doukara and Antonsson are not good enough.

No the Preston formation had Philips and Bridcutt holding, Dallas, Sacko, Roofe as the three and Doukara up front from what I can remember and checking the BBC stats.

Hernandez scored through the middle? I have no idea where his other goals have come from but worth pointing out Preston were down to 10 men at the time he scored.

7. LeedsLover

Blaming Green for letting in some of our goals is based on his positioning and being out of position. From a keeper's analysis, he should know better being an ex England keeper. However, I don't put blame on Green unless it is obvious he was to blame, there have been many goals he has contributed too by being out of position.

I've also praised Green for pulling off some good saves

There are many of our goals he could've saved/stopped if he'd been in right position.

Some of his attempted saves are very animated, in other words he just goes through motions, especially when he dives with outstretched arms and arms wide apart, he reminds me of Sylvester stallone in the film Victory, or a 10yr old put in goal for first time.

He's 37 years old, not as agile as he used to be, and not as fast in his thinking.

"Hernandez scored through the middle? I have no idea where his other goals have come from but worth pointing out Preston were down to 10 men at the time he scored".

Does it matter that Preston were down to 10 men, or the fact the play went to the middle and Hernandez scored. We can score so many more goals if most of our play wasn't down the flanks, after 36 games our goals for is 14, top two teams are miles ahead, even Fulham have a better goals for stat, why?......:emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Chippy / Glory

He is right you are an idiot. But he has no more reason for his opinion than you do yours. Neither of you support the club. But he is less of an arse than you...

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Were you and Marcos bitching together on Saturday?

Who else had burning ears??

I thought it was strange he suddenly came out with the "put your hands in your pocket and get to games" gem, now I can build a picture as to why. I have as much right for anything I say as you do so climb down off that horse.

I take it you're not enjoying your holiday? Seriously, this place will survive without your input for a few days, many might argue it would be a better place <ok>

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    OLOF likes this.
  10. Chippy / Glory

Strangely enough you are so insignificant that you weren't worth discussing. Marcos can answer for himself why he made the comment he did.

Mine is......

Touched a nerve have I my plastic friend?

11. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

**** me, is there no one you won't turn against?

12. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

All Leeds aren't we?

ristac and OLOF like this.
  13. Chippy / Glory

He ****ing started it!

14. Chippy / Glory

Well some of us are, others just pretend to be.

15. Chippy / Glory

Ristac its not my fault LL stole your act and then improved it by including highlights..
    I am sure you can come back stronger from it...