1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Ipswich

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 1, 2017.

1. mcytiger

mcytiger Active Member

We'ver really missed Mackie's enthusiasm. He runs around a lot and gets the crowd going and that spreads to the others. Was not impressed by El Khayati, when he came on, just looked lost to me.

2. Telford Ranger

Telford Ranger Well-Known Member

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

A terrible game but another welcome three points. Sylla gave them problems and took his goal well, but the midfield three of Cousins, Borysiuk and Manning were very disappointing. I know Mackie tries hard, but it's somewhat soul-destroying to watch a QPR side with him as lone striker. Good CB performances from Lynch and Hall and I thought Onuoha was even better when he came on and Hall moved to CDM. An odd decision to bring Wily on for Manning when Sandro was the obvious choice, and it nearly hurt us when he gave the ball away and they looked like scoring from the counter-attack. Wsolek MOM for his goal and all-round performance.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

Went to the game today, and wasn't the drab affair I feared it might be. A competitive game, which could have been won by either team.

Mick McCarthy is on borrowed time with Ipswich. Their fans were incredibly disillusioned with his substitutions, and had he been more aggressive and positive, they could have nicked all 3 points.

Jamie Mackie, Joel Lynch, and Grant Hall were very good today. Jake Bidwell also got stronger as the game went on in my opinion.
    Was nice to see Ryan Manning get another start, and he's got some real scope, and his left foot gave us some balance in midfield. He certainly wasn't helped with poor showings from Cousins and especially Ariel B.

I'm giving credit to Ian Holloway as well, his decision to switch to a 4-4-2 was the correct one, and his boldness merited the win. Two on the bounce, and a happy R's fan.

Happy New Year all

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I have to say that we need Mackie to stay fit.
    I'm not his biggest fan and I know he is very limited. However, he seems to genuinely care about the club and his infectious work rate and enthusiasm are exactly what we need to avoid relegation imo.

It would appear that these two wins could easily have been two more defeats, but it's about time we had some luck. At least the players seemed to care in the last couple of games.

We are far from out of the woods, but hopefully these wins will give us the confidence to kick on.

6. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Another win, another happy face!
    Nice :cheesy:

Wherever, kiwiqpr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  7. Stroller

Washington is similar to Mackie for me in that he has the same work-rate and enthusiasm, but he's more skilful (imo) and hopefully a better finisher if he's ever given a proper chance to show it.

bobmid and QPRCate like this.
  8. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Hi Beth.
    Really sorry to hear that re Connor. I missed that from.PU. It's sad. I really wanted the lad to do well and be part of a better QPR future.

9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Terryb spotted it....Quite noticeable the little knot of players who were celebrating...Smithies came from the other end to join in...Do not think Conor feels part of the group.
    I agree it is a shame...don't think he is a bad one, just never given a chance, and now may be too late

10. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

The harsh world of results driven footie. Wish the lad well.

11. Stroller

Given the amount of grief he gets on here, not to mention other forums, it shouldn't be surprising if he feels unloved. Plus, of course, the manager has been quoted as saying he was a waste of money. Hard done by for me.

12. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Don't get to many games due to living abroad, but made it today and loved it. Lynch seemed immense, and a proper captain. Mackie will soon be regarded as a Rangers legend if he continues to put that much into every game. Very good to see. Great atmosphere in the upper loft as always, but not as much cheering for Ollie as I expected. All in all great to see a win, and very very pleasant to ring my father in law (tractor boy) and give him my match report which went something like...'Hahahaha...we are the Rangers boys...'

13. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Khayati looked more likely to create something than anyone else on the pitch to me, though he held onto the ball a little too long.

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

How was Manning?

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

He did okay, there was a few early good long ball passes from him early in the game. But I think that the two games in two days was a bit much for him and that showed in the second half. I think that once he finds his feet at this level he will be good. He was always looking about to see what was going on around him when he didn't have the ball which is a good sign.

sb_73 and daverangers like this.
  16. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

El Khayati, Washington and Chery were part of that early group of players that JFH brought in - perhaps Holloway is not that impressed by them?

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Very true. It was a very enjoyable experience.

18. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Ramsey brought in Chery. But your point is still valid <ok>

19. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I can't let you guys get away with this.

Firstly, I admit that Matty has proved me wrong. I said that I didn't think he'd ever be good enough for the Premier League. I always said that he had ability, but lacked the application to play at the top level.
    I was wrong. Pulis has got the best out of him and he clearly is a confidence player who needed the right manager to get him playing.

However, he WAS very lazy when with us, pulling out of tackles, jogging back or not bothering to work back at all.

He's doing brilliantly now and fair play to him, but let's not re-write history eh?

As for comparisons with Tarrabt.................sorry, he's not got a fraction of the talent that Adel has so shamefully wasted.

20. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if we keep Connor, I hope we do. He seemed involved and delighted in the goal celebrations yesterday and at Wolves so hoping he does feel part of the group.