1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Cardiff

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 3, 2017.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Forgot that goal line clearance by Lynch which was going in without, what suspiciously looked liked, a back heel off the line..
    The highlights also failed to show wonderful cross from Perch that Conor only just failed to get to..Thought Perch had a good game again....

Ollie definitely changed the game with the substitution....even though we experts in the loft thought taking off Goss was harsh...and that Manning rather than Yeni should have come on....but hey what do we know...
    A brave substitution that worked.....
    As Terry b said ...that Yeni could yet turn into a pretty good footballer

2. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

The Cardiff City player ratings as Sol Bamba and Kadeem Harris impress despite defeat to QPR

Football writer Dominic Booth rates the players from Cardiff City's 2-1 defeat to QPR

Cardiff player ratings from the devastating defeat to QPR

Allan McGregor 7

Made a couple of good saves, particularly when sprawling to his left to deny Conor Washington. Couldn't prevent the goal after a deflection foxed him.

Matt Connolly 7
    Very solid outing for the centre back in his unfavoured right back position. He was defensively impeccable and even drifted forward on occasion.

STAR MAN - Sol Bamba 8
    You'll rarely find a more physical front two than Washington and Matt Smith. But if anyone could deal with them, it's Bamba. His headed goal into the top corner was absolutely outstanding.

please log in to view this image

Sol Bamba heads home for Cardiff City

CAPTAIN - Sean Morrison 6
    He never looks as solid as Sol but the captain was neat and tidy, doing the basics well. A couple of mis-hit clearances threatened to give the hosts a sniff and there was a cynical foul in the second half.

Sean Morrison makes a tackle

Jazz Richards 5
    Whenever QPR came forward, it was down the Cardiff left. A difficult afternoon for Richards trying to contain Washington, Mackie and company. Found out of position too often but admittedly unlucky for the own goal.

Joe Ralls 7
    Full of running, some great challenges - you sense the Bluebirds midfield relies heavily on Ralls' workrate. No complaints from Ralls, no airs or graces.

Aron Gunnarsson 6
    His long throws proved largely unsuccessful, but the Ice Man was cool and calm in the middle, putting out fires. Slightly overrun in the second half by Ngbakoto.

Junior Hoilett 5
    He got a mixed reception from the Loftus Road faithful and it was a mixed display from the Canadian. Ran into a few blind alleys.

Craig Noone 6
    Slightly isolated out on the right flank for much of the first half, but his corner was inch-perfect for Bamba's goal.

Craig Noone of Cardiff City

Kadeem Harris 7
    A constant menace down the left, causing James Perch all sorts of problems. His teasing cross almost set up Zohore early on and has seemingly added a trick to his armoury.

Bamba celebrates with the Cardiff bench

Kenneth Zohore 6
    A more testing afternoon's work for the Dane against the guile, experience and strength of Nedum Onuoha. Zohore acquitted himself well, drifting wide and bringing others into play.

Kenneth Zohore battles for the ball

Subs
    Anthony Pilkington - for Noone (72 minutes). Didn't have enough time on the ball to make an impact, bar one wayward shot. 5

Greg Halford - for Gunnarson (90)

Joe Bennett - for Connolly (86).

Subs unused: Murphy, Whittingham, John, M.Harris.

QPR: Smithies, Bidwell, Hall, Onuoha, Lynch, Washington, Goss (Ngbakoto, 58), Mackie (Wszolekat, 82) Smith, Luongo (Morrison, 76), Perch.

Subs unused: Ingram, Sylla, Manning, Furlong.

Goals:

Cardiff: Bamba (45)

QPR: Ngbakoto (66), Smith (83).

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-player-ratings-sol-12691779

3. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

8 for Bamba? Really?

Yes, a good (if gifted thanks to an absence of marking) goal, but consistently beaten in the air by Smith throughout the first half

And his clearances tended to be wild hacks into the SAR stand or 40 feet into the air

4. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

Hoillett running into blind alleys really?? No change there then!

TootingExcess and NorwayRanger like this.
  5. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Yes, it was. Grrrr!

6. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

7. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I think that;s probably fair

However, we had them under pressure and that directly led to the goal - tough game overall and either side could've won it

8. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

We showed good spirit and it was great to get a comeback win but it was a very different performance from recently. Without Manning all the creativity seemed to be sucked out of midfield and Luongo and Mackie really failed to make an impact. Luongo in particular gave his trademark performance of never being available to link up the play despite a lot of jogging around. I feel sure that the pair of thdm will be warming the bench on Tuesday.

9. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Another good result against a tough Warnock team. Really pleased with the continuing performance of Washington and his overall team performances that seem to keep coming. Have to say I wasn't inspired with Matt Smith as a signing - but he's converted me. He's become an important member of the team in attack and a strong contributor to defense too (credit to Holloway for the signing, it's worked). Yeni is beginning to come through too.
    I thought Goss should have had a few more substitute appearances before a full start. I think he will slowly grow into the team.
    Agree with a lot of the comments on the teamwork; we actually seem to have a team at last. So well done to the coaching team on that - that is no mean feat after the mess of a squad that was left. Let's hope this continues to grow, we have a long way to go to become a force in this division. So this is only the start.
    Love it when we beat the taffs though :emoticon-0102-bigsm

NorwayRanger and Hoop-Leif like this.
  10. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

It's great Connor is coming into his own now and but for the ludicrous disallowed goal at Blackburn and at least two posts struck he would have had few more to his name. Smith is also clearly more of a threat than we thought he might be. Odd that we would start without any wingers yesterday, with Smith in the side we should be crossing at every opportunity. Still it does feel like we are building something now I just hope we can all remain patient. Whilst we're talking patience I hope hope we don't make Goss the new Ben Gladwin, give him time and I reckon he'll be the playmaker we've been craving, look at Tom Carroll pulling the strings for Swansea, sometimes it takes a bit of time to come good.

11. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

MelburnIAN, kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  12. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

It was all about getting the 3 points on Saturday. A nice double over Cardiff for the season, which is always a positive.

Also encouraging to see the substitutions paying dividends. Happy for Ngbakoto after a difficult start to life with us, and I hope he goes on to flourish now.

Agree with those on here who've stated another win against Barnsley will give us enough points to rotate the side until the end of the season and figure out who's good enough to be here next year and who isn't.

More game time for Goss and Morrison would be welcome, to see how they fare.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  13. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I don't think Morrison is a luxury we can afford unless we are chasing a game right now. By all means if we are safe with six games to go give him a run assuming both parties are interested in making it permanent.

I do like this team a lot though. Not the nicest to watch or most talented but I don't feel mugged off by those on the pitch. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Hoop-Leif, NorwayRanger and qprbeth like this.
  14. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

Yeah the point you've raised about not feeling mugged off by the 11 on the pitch is a feeling I share as well. Refreshing to see a team giving maximum effort.

Re: Morrison, it's purely to see if he can justify a further stay. If Holloway can somehow coax the best out of him, then we've got the best player in the division in our squad. I look at what Benitez has managed to extract from JonJo Shelvey and think of what could be..

15. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

So agree with this.
    Each one is trying to their own abilities. They all want to improve, they are playing for each other, and they seem to like and respect us fans too.
    I appreciate it is easier to connect with each other in a wimnning team, but I think that the fans can seethe team trying....and that gives us patience too.

This is what I have wanted for so long...it feels a different place at the moment to what it did last November, when the football was dire, the players did not know what to do, there was little team spirit, and the fans were at the team and at each other

Hoop-Leif, Stroller and awjm like this.
  16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Warnock after the game ...

Neil Warnock labelled QPR a long-ball side after his Cardiff team were beaten 2-1 by them at Loftus Road.

The Bluebirds boss, who led Rangers to promotion in 2011, was given a warm welcome back.

He remains a popular figure among QPR fans, who fondly remember the title-winning season in which the likes of Adel Taarabt and Alejandro Faurlin shone.

Warnock said: “I’m not surprised (by his welcome). I love them here and they’ve been brilliant with me. They won’t forget that year in a rush.”

But he added: “It’s changed now. It’s long ball all the time now to (Matt) Smith – whack it up from the back and see what they can get off him.”

Saturday’s win took QPR up to 16th in the Championship table, nine points clear of the relegation zone.''

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/warnock-qpr-long-ball-time-now

Did you see Yeni Ngbakoto's goal Neil?

I don't think we over did the long ball, sometimes its necessary regardless of who you are. Most of the time we tried to go forward through Goss but couldn't due to the congestion in the middle of the pitch.

17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

When Hollow first came I said we would all need a neck braces for the amount of time the ball would be in the air... I was wrong, in Hollow's first few games the players were trying to pass and play on the ground. However, that was not working (results showed) due to the personnel we have and it was crying out for something different. He then started to mix it up a bit and results changed. Since Smith has arrived we do seem to play more long balls. That is our strength at the moment and it's about getting results to be safe. I must agree with NW, because I thought on Saturday we were lumping it up to smith a lot (although agree Yeni goal was well worked). NW as a manager should have adapted rather than moan at a winning game plan. I do hope however that next season we see more ball play on the floor.

18. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Was admiring Bamba's goal but he is not a nice fella! Soooooo glad we beat Cardiff.

19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I think we need 55 points historically to be safe and need to be mathematically safe before we start giving much time to possible players for next season. But as Ollie seems to be doing, there will be times earlier to look at fringe players due injury and suspensions and if we ever have a game won.

20. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

This really cannot be real RTID...have a look at what he alledgedly posts...this cannot be genuine

https://twitter.com/vintage_bamba?ref_src=twsrc^tfw