1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Burton

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 28, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QPR take on struggling Burton Albion in our first ever league meeting at Loftus Road on Saturday afternoon.

The game, which has been rearranged following both sides FA Cup exit, is one of five Championship matches taking place this weekend.

Rangers will want to keep their fine run in the league going against a side that have won just one away fixture all season and picked up just eight points on their travels.

Chris Martin’s late equaliser for Fulham meant that Rangers three game winning streak was broken last weekend but confidence and momentum is very much with the side from W12 following the recent turnaround.

Despite a good start in what is their first season in the Championship, the Brewers have really struggled in the last two months. Their only victories have come against bottom of the table Rotherham and Clough’s side have failed to win back to back games all season.

Unlike many teams that are enduring poor form, Burton have actually been competing well in their league games. You have to go back to the 19th November for the last time they were defeated by two or more goals and that was a 3-0 defeat to Reading.

Burton’s major issue is putting the ball into the net, a problem that the R’s faithful will be all too aware of. Both teams have scored just 26 league goals this season, which is less than bottom of the table Rotherham with only Wigan having a worst record in the league.

Another Achilles heel for the Staffordshire side is they are extremely vulnerable to conceding late goals. They have let in a remarkable 14 goals in the last 15 minutes of matches this season and that has often cost them valuable points.

This was yet again their weakness on the weekend where they went down to an injury time Cardiff goal despite doing more than enough to take a point back to the Pirelli Stadium.

When the two sides met in September Burton were the better team for much of the match and deservedly went ahead just after half time through Jamie Ward. However, recently departed German striker Seb Polter equalised on the 70th minute and from that moment on Rangers looked the more likely to snatch the three points.

Ian Holloway will be wanting to go one better this time around. He’ll know that by going on current form QPR will be expected to take the three points but needs his team to stand and deliver.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: Yeni Ngbakoto has been added to the list of absentees after injuring his ankle in training. He joins Jordan Cousins, Steven Caulker and Jack Robinson on the side-lines.

Burton Albion: Nigel Clough is hoping that top scorer Jackson Irvine will be fit for Saturday’s trip following his groin injury. Will Miller is also expected to be available after shaking off a hamstring problem but the match comes too soon for Luke Varney.

McLaughlin,

Brayford, McFadzean, Turner, Flanagan,

Irvine, Palmer, Naylor, Murphy,

Dyer, Atkins.

Kelly Brook In Her QPR Bikini

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 5/4
    Draw: 23/10
    Burton: 11/5
    QPR first goal scorer: Idrissa Sylla 5/1
    Burton first goal scorer: Chris O'Grady 7/1

LAST TIME OUT

Burton 1 - 1 QPR - Championship, Tuesday 27th September 2016
    QPR goal-scorers:
    Sebastian Polter
    Burton goal-scorers: Jamie Ward

HEAD TO HEAD
    (In all competitions)

QPR wins: 0
    Draws: 1
    Burton wins: 1

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
    Assistant Referees: John Flynn and Daniel Robathan
    Fourth official: Graham Horwood

Saturday's match against Burton Albion is the Brewers first visit to Loftus Road, we take a look at how the rest of the Championship fared on their maiden W12 visit ...

Aston Villa
    Date:
    Tuesday 5th September 1967
    Competition: Division Two
    Result: QPR 3 - 0 Aston Villa – This remains the only time that the Hoops have scored three goals against the Villains in a home fixture.

Barnsley
    Date:
    Saturday 11th September 1948
    Result: QPR 2-2 Barnsley – This was the first of three 2-2 draws that have taken place between Rangers and Barnsley at Loftus Road with the other’s being in 1964 and 1999.

Birmingham City

Date: Saturday 3rd February 1951
    Result: QPR 2- 0 Birmingham – The R’s have a decent record against Birmingham at Loftus Road winning 14 out of the 28 matches with nine draws and five wins for the Midlands side.

Blackburn Rovers

Date: Monday 27th December 1948
    Result: QPR 4 -2 Blackburn Rovers – Remains the highest scoring match between both sides at Loftus Road.

Brentford

Date: Monday 27th December 1920
    Competition: Division Three
    Result: QPR 1-0 Brentford – In the first seven games between Rangers and Brentford at Loftus Road neither side scored more than one goal highlighting how tight these west London derby’s can be.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Date: Saturday 11th December 1920
    Competition: Division Three
    Result: QPR 4-0 Brighton – One of QPR’s most contested fixtures with the R’s facing the Seagulls a total of 77 times.

Bristol City

Date: Saturday 10th January 1914
    Competition: FA Cup
    Result: QPR 2-2 Bristol City – The first match between the two sides was in the FA Cup and this remains the only time Rangers have faced City in this prestigious tournament.

Cardiff City

Date: Saturday 26th March 1932
    Competition: Division Three (south)
    Result: QPR 2-3 Cardiff – This was one of five Cardiff victories over QPR at Loftus Road but overall we have a better head to head record against the Bluebirds with us winning 33 compared to their 25.

Derby County

Date: Saturday 28th February 1948
    Result: QPR 1 -1 Derby County – One of three FA Cup meetings between the R’s and the Rams with the last one being in 1973 when Derby came out 4-2 winners.

Fulham FC

Date: Saturday 15th September 1928
    Result: QPR 2-1 Fulham – This was the second fixture between the clubs with the first being an FA Cup tie back in Craven Cottage in 1905. The last was of course just a few days ago with Rangers having to settle for a point thanks to a late Chris Martin equaliser.

Huddersfield Town

Date: Saturday 8th January 1949
    Result: QPR 0-0 Huddersfield – Remains the only 0-0 draw to take place between the two teams in any competition.

Ipswich Town

Date: Friday 7th April 1939
    Result: QPR 0-0 Ipswich Town – One of six draws that have taken place at Loftus Road against Ipswich.

Leeds United

Date: Saturday 9th January 1932
    Result: QPR 3 -1 Leeds – One of five occasions in which QPR have scored three or more against Leeds at Loftus Road. The latest was a 3-0 win on the opening day of this season and remains our biggest win so far this term.

Newcastle United

Date: Saturday 21st December 1968
    Competition: Division One
    Result: QPR 1-1 Newcastle – We had to wait until 1968 for Newcastle to come and visit Loftus Road but since then there’s been 49 fixtures between the clubs. During the 1975/76 campaign Rangers faced Newcastle six times after being drawn against them in the FA and League Cup as well as being in the same division.

Norwich City

Date: Wednesday 19th January 1910
    Result: QPR 3-0 Norwich – The R’s have faced Norwich 109 times with the first one at Loftus Road being in the FA Cup. The last fixture at home this season happened to be Ian Holloway’s first since re-joining the club and ended in a 2-1 victory for Rangers.

Nottingham Forest

Date: Saturday 25th September 1948
    Result: QPR 2-1 Nottingham Forest – One of 15 wins against the Midlands side but it’s Forest who hold the overall head to head advantage having defeated us on 28 different occasions.

Preston North End

Date: Wednesday 7th September 1949
    Result: QPR 0-0 Preston – Preston have a surprisingly good record against Rangers at Loftus Road winning eight out of the 20 fixtures that have taken place here. They added to this with victory in W12 back in August last year.

Reading

Date: Saturday 11th January 1908
    Result: QPR 1-0 Reading – Our first game over Reading was over 100 years ago in the FA Cup and that remains our only fixture in that competition but we have met 87 times in the league.

Rotherham United

Date: Saturday 10th November 1951
    Result: QPR 2-3 Rotherham – The first and only time Rotherham have defeated QPR in a league game at Loftus Road.

Sheffield Wednesday

Date: Saturday 28th April 1949
    Result: QPR 1- 3 Sheffield Wednesday – Rangers had to wait until the fourth game at Loftus Road before they could get a victory over Wednesday who back in the day were a bit of a bogey side for the R’s.

Wigan
    Date:
    Tuesday 26th February 2002
    Result: QPR 1-1 Wigan – With our first meeting just 15 years ago – Wigan have only beaten the Hoops twice in 15 games and only once in W12. Our last game at Loftus Road was a memorable one; a 2-1 win in the Championship Play Off semi-final with Harry Redknapp’s QPR eventually going on to gain promotion.

Wolves

Date: Saturday 27th January 1900
    Result: QPR 1 -1 Wolves – This game was played at the start of the last century which makes Wolves the first out of the teams currently in the division to play at Loftus Road.

2. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

As per usual, another masterpiece Nines.

Hopefully our lot are up for the game tomorrow with the Brewers exhibiting signs of droop.

QPR999 and Ninj like this.
  3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Brilliant 999s. Thank you....
    Just wondering if we will see Ned today....
    If there is any truth in the rumour he is off.....we may not see him...

But if I was him... Sunderland, Palace or us.....hiding for nothing.....I would stay with us

QPR999 likes this.
  4. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

So we have never beaten Burton then?
    We need to address that record today.

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Good point Beth, the irony is since he had a run in with the fan in Ellerslie Road he's been playing really well.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  6. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Quality work as usually nines. Somehow my ipad stucked for minutes on that Kelly Brook picture. I wonder why.....

finglasqpr and QPR999 like this.
  7. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

I've only seen Burton play once.

Is it to much to ask that the home side win 6-3 as they did that time?

8. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Surely a comfortable home win?
    Hoping Ollie's revamped team can put on an entertaining home win.

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Nice one Nines.
    Gutted I can't make the game today and have to let the side down.
    I got roped into playing 5 a side football this week and hurt my knee. It is puffy and stiff at the back of my leg so I will find it hard to sit down in my cramped seat. Hopefully a good win for the R's!

QPR999 likes this.
  10. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Forest after Clough apparently.

11. Parishoops

Parishoops Active Member

Any body know when the full 90 minutes will be on QPR player as I am thinking of watching this tomorrow as opposed to just listening to the live radio commentary. Ideal would be that it is available tomorrow morning.

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I think this will be a tougher game than most expect and think it'll be a draw.

We are now set up effectively to stop a good opposition but I don't think we'll be good at breaking down the weaker teams.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I think under Hollow we stand a better chance of beating them than we would under JFH (due to the connection and their players being up for it more). At first I thought it's just another team I expected to beat but agree it won't be easy.

14. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

He arrived when we were outside the ground earlier.

15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

QPR unbeaten in four
    Burton lost last four
    It's on the cards, I hope not

16. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I think we will gubb Burton. I'm going 4-0!

17. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

For the sake of balance, one of Burtons better lookers!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  18. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Any team news yet?

Rangertonyd likes this.
  19. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

A QPR team will play a Burton Albion team.

20. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

It's usually a couple of days after I think...the Fulham game last week was posted 24 hours after the game finished.