1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Brighton

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Apr 7, 2017.

1. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

Just on the way back now. I'm hoping and praying that the constant changes each week are just IH experimenting with what players we've currently got, and we'll play a more settled side next year.

My one real concern is the amount of long ball we are playing. I realise we need to play to Smith strengths, and to be fair to him he's very good in the air, but we will need more than that if we want to aim for playoffs next season. Far too one dimensional at the minute. Having said that, we gave it a real good go tonight and were probably worthy of a draw in the end. Just couldn't finish.

Freeman did more when he came on than Ravel did the entire time he was on the pitch. Really like freeman, quality on the ball, got a touch of Lee Cook about him. Honourable mention to Robinson who I thought had a good game as well. The less I say about Ned the better. On to Bristol we go.

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Brighton had good shape, good width, excellent first time passing and pressured us in the right places. A well-coached and well-balanced team, just about everything we aren't at present. That shows you how far away we are from being in contention, despite our late rally which was more hit and hope than structured play we are nowhere near being a top six team. I fear without some significant changes we will be mid-table at best next season...

UTRs, NorwayRanger, WBA2_QPR3 and 4 others like this.
  3. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Wrong team out, would've played Pawel & freeman, ravel too deep & didn't do a lot, thought manning was disappointing tonight, gave Brighton too much width especially in 1st half, poor defence for first goal sodding about on half way line, not safe yet but trying to get that next win is hard going at present.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Plus, they have spent £1m less than us on agents fees this season.

5. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

We looked exactly what we are, a lower mid table side with little creative spark. Hard working but little end product.

I'm not complaining btw

qpr1976, UTRs and Uber_Hoop like this.
  6. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

poor stacy
    hope she didnt go
    please log in to view this image

UTRs, KPDHoopster and Didley Squat like this.
  7. Sutfol

Sutfol Well-Known Member

Just got back and think there were lots of positives. The substitutions made us a better team, unfortunate not to nick a draw.
    I hope he starts playing a more settled team next season, I actually think we'll be top six.

Uber_Hoop, KooPeeArr and Highball_QPR like this.
  8. Highball_QPR

Highball_QPR Active Member

Totally agree, so many positives against the team who are now top of the league. Unlucky not to get at least a point.

9. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

No, she was busy.

UTRs, kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  10. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

lumping the ball up to Smith doesn't feel me with joy, Conor was very quiet. Showed them too much respect and paid the price for sitting back. Pi**ed off with that performance

QPR Oslo and rangercol like this.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Good man

UTRs and Uber_Hoop like this.
  12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Conor looked like he'd never score again. Maybe it'a the cameras that phase him, but then the one time I saw him play at LR no cameras, he was much worse.

13. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

We have little chance of making top six if we're going to have the defensive lapses we have shown this season. We are desperate for a creative player in the middle. Freeman seemed to make a difference when he came on, and if we're to make the best of our forwards we firstly need to get the ball into scoring areas and secondly our forwards need to be taking a higher percentage of opportunities or seeking to run on to opportunities (oh, and Conor needs to learn how to keep the ball under the height of a crossbar when shooting - or he's wasting everyone's time).
    So, all in all, just as Col said much earlier, we need to improve in all areas in the close season if we are going to improve on our mediocrity and inconsistency this season.

14. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Only just caught up with the game, our performance was patchy at best, defensively it looked like we thought we were Barcelona at times. Freeman is just a gem, made so much difference when he came on. Ref got a lot of big decisions wrong which could actually have seen the result swing the other way. All in all I thought we were a tad unlucky.

15. Frome-Ranger

Oh and Brighton's cheating in the last 20 mins reached levels I've never seen before. That amount of collective time wasting, play acting, diving etc by a team should see some sort of penalty in my book. The time they took over their free kick was unreal. Absolutely expect it from Murray as he is the biggest cheat in the book, which is why I can never like him as a player but they were all at it.

igor60 likes this.
  16. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Yep, it really was shameful and has made me see the oh so great Chris Houghton in a new light. There was a feigned injury in front of the Ellerslie with 10 minutes to go which saw the player sit back down after getting to his feet when the ref asked him to. At the time the Brighton bench were furiously signalling him to say down. Once the ref had caved in and the physios somehow managed to get him to the touchline after a minute or so, the player looked up at the Ellerslie crowd with a huge grin on his face. Shockingly cynical and it is a mystery why the football authorities can't find a way to stamp this out.

On the game itself it was another example of the team showing enough to give us hope but not optimism for next season. Until we can find a way to move the ball forward quickly without resorting to punts up to Smith we will continue to score too few goals. Luongo had a decent game but is more guilty of holding our attacks up than anyone else. And if I ever see that overweight, over-hyped, gangsta-wanabe Morrison in a QPR shirt again it will be too soon.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

What was the point of picking Morrison? He had to come deep to pick up the ball because he kept seeing it sail over his head towards Smith, but I don't recall him playing an incisive pass and only remember one occasion where he carried the ball forward past players. Freeman looked far more likely to make something happen when he got on.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  18. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

The point of picking him I suspect was to prove actually this. Expect him to be returned at the end of his loan spell.

Uber_Hoop and seagullhoop like this.
  19. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I have no idea what Morrison is up to. When he came on for his cameo a few games ago....he played defensive midfielder...and did not move in a forward motion once.
    Yesterday he was again playing so deep.

He had one little run in second half towards the loft, but as it slightly opened up for him, he chose to pass not shoot
    He also stepped away from a free kick to allow Manning to take it

Is he following instructions from Ollie? Or has he seriously lost it?
    I do not believe Ollie is devious, so I believe, yesterday Ollie gave him a chance to play for his contract.....he did not take it
    And along with Ollies comments along the line that Morrison is not taking time keeping or training too seriously.....I think that was it

(in fact when he left the pitch I did not clap....I waved good bye)

20. Frome-Ranger

He is far too much of a gamble in my book, could really disrupt the harmony. Freeman outshone him by a country mile yesterday. I feel for him a bit but if the training thing is true then he does need to go.

seagullhoop likes this.