1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Brighton

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Apr 7, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

QPR host Brighton & Hove Albion under the lights in what is the final Friday night fixture of the season.

With just six league games remaining much of the emphasis for the R’s is trying to finish the season as high possible and looking to build momentum ahead of next year.

The same however cannot be said of this evening’s visitors Brighton. The Seagulls sit in 2nd place in the Championship and only need three more wins to secure automatic promotion to the Premier League. Victory tonight would go a long way to obtaining their ultimate goal.

Chris Hughton’s side have, for a few years now, been one of the divisions top performing clubs. Since they won promotion to the Championship back in 2011 they have shown significant improvement each year bar 2014/15 where they had to fight off relegation. This season they have not been outside the top six since October - highlighting their remarkable consistency.

Hughton deserves so much of the credit for what Brighton have done especially in the last two seasons. Whilst they may not have the attacking flair of some of the teams in the league, Brighton are extremely hardworking, defensively sound and have the individual quality to sweep past teams in the division.

But the worry for them will be that they have not always performed in the final stages of the season. Last year was a prime example when despite being the clear favourites to gain promotion - they were comfortably defeated 3-1 over two legs by Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs even though they ended the domestic campaign 15 points ahead of the Owls. The south-coast outfit certainly won’t want to see a repeat of that and that is why automatic promotion is so important to Brighton.

They were 3-1 winners against Birmingham City on Tuesday thanks to goals from Glen Murray, Tomer Hemed and Uwe Hunemeier.

Rangers will want to ensure that a promising second half of the season doesn’t end in disappointing fashion. Performances wise the R’s have been very good since the middle of February with the exception being last week’s defeat to Derby County.

The Hoops certainly deserved more against Aston Villa midweek but will want to get back to scoring goals after firing two blanks. In the last game at Loftus Road Holloway’s side hit five past Rotherham and he will be hoping the team can produce that same kind of form against, with all due respect to Rotherham, much better opponents.

When the two sides met back in December Brighton were victorious in quite a convincing manner - coming out 3-0 winners. Whilst the Seagulls undoubtedly deserved to win, the game was turned when the ref controversially sent off R’s Captain Nedum Onuoha at the start of the second half. Anthony Knockaert was in inspired form that day and Rangers will have to do a lot better job of keeping Brighton’s star man quiet tonight at Loftus Road.

TEAM NEWS
    QPR: Midfielder Jordan Cousins (thigh) has been ruled out for the rest of the season whilst Kazenga Lua Lua is ineligible with Brighton being his parent club.

Brighton & Hove Albion: Brighton will check on the fitness of Lewis Dunk and Sam Baldock. Defenders Shane Duffy (metatarsal) and Connor Goldson (heart surgery) are still side-lined for the promotion-chasing Seagulls.

Key Player: Anthony Knockaert – One of the league’s most dangerous forwards and has scored three times in his last two games against QPR.

Possible Starting Xl's

Stockdale,

Bruno, Hünemeier, Dunk, Bong,

Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March, Hemed,

Murray

PRE MATCH TALK

Ian Holloway: “This is a chance to show the real us, because we didn’t do that the last time we were on Sky Sports. Brighton are heading in the right direction and look like they’re going to get over the line. But these points are the hardest to get when you’re going for promotion – and we’re going to try and spoil that. It’s a great opportunity for us and one we’re really looking forward to. “

Chris Hughton: “There’s a group of teams below us that are very strong and I think they’ll win a high percentage of their games, so I expect it to drag on. We’d like to be in a position where our fate is determined before the real latter part of the season. That's in our hands but it can also depend on other results as well. It's more in our own hands because we have to make sure we get the results. We'd rather it was our results that determine things than having to wait for others.”

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 5/2
    Draw: 23/10
    Brighton: 11/10
    QPR first goal scorer: Conor Washington 13/2
    Brighton first goal scorer: Glenn Murray 4/1

LAST TIME OUT

Brighton 3 - 0 QPR - Championship, Tuesday 27th December 2016
    Brighton goal-scorers: Baldock, Knockaert, Murray

HEAD TO HEAD

(In all competitions)

QPR wins: 30
    Draws: 17
    Brighton wins: 31

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Simon Hooper
    Assistant Referees: Daniel Robathan and Akil Howson
    Fourth official: Geoff Eltringham

QPR Fan Vicky Says ...
    '' I literally live in Brighton and have to basically travel to and from Loftus Road with their rent-boy fans, lol. ''

KentGaz, UTRs, kiwiqpr and 3 others like this.
  2. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

One for the lady(boys).

QPR Queen likes this.
  3. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Ollie has got to stop tinkering for the sake of it. The last 2 games were treated like pre-season friendlies giving everyone a run out. Time to get back to the business of winning at home please.

4. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Nines, great write up and pics as usual.

I like your team and 4-3-3 formation.

Let's hope that we can "surprise" Brighton at LR under the lights! COYR's!!!!

QPR Oslo and QPR999 like this.
  5. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Let's hope Chris Hughton's complimentary comments about Ollie are justified in this encounter.

QPR Midfielder Jordan Cousins will miss the rest of the season after having surgery on a thigh injury.
    On-loan winger Kazenga LuaLua is close to a return from an ankle problem but is ineligible to face his parent club.
    Centre-half Lewis Dunk could keep his place in the Brighton squad after recovering from illness.
    Full-backs Sebastian Pocognoli and Liam Rosenior are available after injury, but striker Sam Baldock is likely to remain out with a hamstring problem.
    The Seagulls would return to the top of the Championship table with victory on Friday night.

Brighton manager Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"They're a good side, QPR, they're a changed team in Ian Holloway's time there.
    "I think his period of time working in television gave him that nice break away from the pressures of management, and he looks like he's really enjoying it again.
    "His team are playing some good football, in a way that i think Ian wants them to play."

Match facts
    • QPR are unbeaten in their last 11 games in all competitions against Brighton at Loftus Road (W5 D6), last losing in September 1957.
    • Brighton have gone eight matches without defeat against the west London side, winning four and drawing four.
    • Anthony Knockaert has had a hand in four goals in his last two games against QPR (three goals, one assist).
    • QPR haven't kept a clean sheet at Loftus Road in the Championship since a 1-0 win over Bristol City in October.
    • Brighton are unbeaten in their last seven Championship fixtures contested on a Friday, winning six (D1).
    • QPR's last nine Championship goals have all been scored at home.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39451431

6. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

We are totally unpredictable of course but as things stand I'm not looking forward to it. I said on an earlier strand that the run of good form came mainly while playing the lesser teams of the division and that this current set of three games against some of it's leading lights would show just how much progress IH has really made. Thus far the answer seems to be very little with no results going our way and, more importantly, some pretty awful football. Here's hoping that the boss is a little more adventurous tonight and that the midfield play with the kind of freedom that delivered the earlier results.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

QPR have lost their last 8 league games played on a Friday, conceding 16 goals and scoring just 4. :emoticon-0107-sweat

8. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I have suspected that Ollie has been tinkering but was saving his "best team" for today (when I return from holiday).
    Therefore I think 999s is well on the money with his team

This is the one he wants to win, to put down a mark for next season.

Am looking forward to seeing Solly March play ( I wonder if TBGWTDT (PaulF) will be there tonight...)

UTRs and QPRski like this.
  9. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Beth, so we will used today's formation will be the reference for our "current best team".

I hope that you have fun at the match?

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Doesn't he have a bit of history with Brighton from his Palace days?

I have no reason to dislike Brighton but I do. They're clearly a very good side to be where they are but certainly beatable. Hopefully Lewis Dunk will play and break both legs, the snide ****.

11. Kilburn

Hopefully none of this going on in the changing rooms tonight.

Poyet's e-mail fury at EXCREMENT left in dressing room for Crystal Palace players ahead of Brighton clash

Brighton are set to call in the police to investigate a misdemeanour at the club - after excrement was found in the away dressing room at the Amex before the play-off semi-final on Monday.

Ian Holloway's Crystal Palace arrived to find a not so pleasant surprise awaiting on the floor of the toilet and shower area.
    And Brighton manager Gus Poyet, who has since been suspended by Brighton, wrote a scathing email to his staff to find out who was responsible for the appalling incident.

Brighton manager sent a furious email after some of his players pooed in the Crystal Palace changing rooms"
    Fury: Gus Poyet wrote a scathing email to players to find out who was responsible for the incident

Going to Wembley: Wilfried Zaha scored both goals in a 2-0 win

The Sun revealed the ranting email that was sent in the wake of Brighton's 2-0 defeat.
    'I am angry that someone within this club could endanger our good reputation and stoop so low. I would like someone to accept responsibility and resign,' read the email.

Poyet also criticised the marketing department's decision to leave clappers on the seats, saying it added a 'negative vibe to proceedings.'
    Meanwhile Poyet has come under fire from former midfielder Vicente who branded him as ‘selfish’ and 'egocentric' after he was released from the club this week.

The former Spain international told The Brighton Argus: ‘He is the worst person I've come across in football. For me he is a selfish person, very egocentric. I say that because it's how I feel.

'I won't talk badly about my team-mates, because they have been fantastic with me. What I think is unacceptable is that the manager makes fun of his players. I've seen things here that I have never seen in my career. If you miss with a shot in training, he makes fun. For me, that is unacceptable in football.’

Devastating: Zaha strikes to make it 2-0 at knock Brighton out of the play-offs

Head-to-head: Poyet meets Palace manager Ian Holloway before seeing his side crash out to their rivals

THE FULL TRANSCRIPT OF GUS POYET'S EMAIL TO HIS STAFF

'Hi All,

1) ...when Crystal Palace players and staff arrived to the Amex and went into their dressing room, they found themselves in a very uncomfortable situation, for some reason that still no clear to me , someone during the day had access to the away dressing room and done something terrible, trying to upset everyone related to Palace. To say it in clear English, someone had a ‘poo’ all outside the toilets, over and around the toilets.

Now, after careful consideration, and even after a meeting with the Chairman who assured me that MY REPUTATION IS INTACT, I feel that I must express my anger that anyone inside this organisation thought they could interfere with it.

I am angry that someone within this club could endanger our good reputation and stoop so low - did they imagine that this would affect the Crystal Palace players - well it possible did - it may just have fired them up even more.

Well someone made a very bad decision and I think it is time to stand up and take responsibility - not just the culprit but those employees who are supposed to make our stadium safe and secure. Surely changing rooms are high up on securities check lists???
    Surely someone should lose their job to allow such a breach of security - they do not deserve to be part of this club!...

2)...would someone like to admit it was their idea to hand out stupid pieces of noise-making paper - can I tell you it was an extremely silly idea and the result was an annoying noise - I am not for one minute blaming the result of the game on this, but it added only negative vibes to the proceedings along with the rubbish filled balloons that littered the pitch.

My team of players and staff have worked hard this season and I do not appreciate negative actions from others within the club...whoever you are, you let the club down very badly.
    Gus Poyet'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2326470/Gus-Poyet-fury-Brighton-leave-poo-Crystal-Palace-dressing-room.html#ixzz4daQXDsOd

12. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

7 changes and wtf???

Edit: Missed that Dr Who was playing. Maybe this team might actually work.

13. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

7 changes seems like absolute lunacy to me. We are guaranteed to win now.

14. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Anybody here?

15. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Turned out it was the Palace coach driver that did it...

16. Kilburn

......perhaps he got caught short of the washroom after the drive down? At least it wasn't the butler.

17. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

18. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Holloway likes to surprise.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

IMG_0152.JPG
    Thought Luongo and Freeman were meant be be great against Villa.
    Beat me to it Jock.

20. Kilburn

Chance for Morrison to make his mark

QPR
    • 1 Smithies
    • 5 Onuoha
    • 4 Hall
    • 6 Lynch
    • 24 Perch
    • 21 Luongo
    • 41 Manning