1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Propaganda

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Perhaps this subject has been done to death - no pun intended - but I get fed up with being treated by the media like a child.

I turn on the news today and all they are going on about is some report that Gaddafi is using cluster bombs against civilians... and civilians are starving in Misrata.

Now tell me this is not the media "softening" us up for the use of ground forces to prevent atrocities against the good people of Misrata. Weapons of mass destruction are expected to be found in the next few months if no other excuse turns up

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can see where you are coming from Leo, but are you saying that none are being used? The following comes from this mornings French press.

"At Misrata, the noose tightens on the insurgents. The rebels on Friday accused the Libyan forces loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi to use cluster munitions in areas populated by civilians, which was confirmed by Human Rights Watch."

This was tucked away below reports that NATO is running out of weapons, suggesting that they are more interested in the failings of the alliance rather than getting more deeply involved.

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Well Saddam hid them somewhere!

Agree with you though - I sometimes think that the media should butt out of front line reporting as it's usually a case of overkill.

Can you imagine what life would have been like during WWI if the media had all the gadgetry/technology that is now available, with daily death counts measured in 000's?

4. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Maybe this should be on the libya thread!

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I am no sure OFH whether they are being used or not - I notice the Agency that reported it is a New York based (CIA inspired our conspiracy friend Aberdude would no doubt tell us)

My point is that the media "play" us on things like this. They also mentioned that Gaddafi's troops used a rocket launcher that fires off nearly 40 rockets almost simultaneously - so what - would it be better if they just had 40 of the weapons and fired them all or if they just fired them one after the other?

I just object to "news" being used to wind people up and in my view prepare us for further action. I very much agree with BB.

How about if people are starving and have no water in Misrata we send relief supplies - food and water not weaponry and troops - as this might actually keep some people alive.

6. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Media biased and a pawn of the state? Never.....................................

7. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

I would have many criticisms of our current media...lack of rigour, obsession with celebrity, repetition of fallacious research conclusions among others...but I doubt they are organised enough to be orchestrating a propaganda campaign. I have just watched the BBC news which included items such as Vladimir Putin's sudden interest in ice hockey. Which news editor thought that was vital for the world to know?

8. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Its not the media sofening us up for ground intervention.

There job done, dont know why you have posted all this other stuff- leo just wanted to be told this ;)

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Roo - go back to your sunburn and hangover :)

10. Sir_Luther_Blissett

<laugh>

Still a Samaritan, Roo <whistle> ?

11. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Cheers leo- i wrote that during the happy drunk bit- during the hangover all i could manage is "murrouhhgofoffa"

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hope you are recovered sufficiently to be able to go to work today and let people laugh at your sunburn :0

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I see now the UK is actually helping to evacuate some civilians from Misrata. Seems strange - surely it is more effective to send in food and other supplies - unless it is the intention to leave it as a ghost town ???

14. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I'm still on the fence over a lot of things related to Libya.

But surely a ghost town where the people are alive somewhere else is preferable to another Zawiyah?

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that - but the chance of evacuating a significant number is not great - surely providing supplies would be better

16. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way on this Lenny - our government are gagging to get stuck into someone elses war again and this whole angle is just softening us up to get the public on their side. A curse on all their houses...

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

What amazes me though is how easily the press manages to manipulate public opinion.

I first noticed it back in 1982 with the Falklands - Itell you not 1% of British people had even heard of them let alone knew where or what they were or who they belonged to - but when Argentina invaded the press made us believe they were our most important possession etc etc. .. and we had to hate "Argies" - same with Iraq etc etc. It annoys me that in this day and age the public can be hoodwinked so easily still

18. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

"the press made us believe..."

I can't say I agree with this, Leo. The press is a complicated mix of owners, editors, journalists, printers etc. What's more the political stance of the Daily Mail is considerably different from that of the Guardian. Stories are printed and it's true they often reflect the interests of the owners, but we are actually free to agree or disagree with them. No-one is forcing you to believe anything. I think perhaps a greater problem is apathy...that people can't be bothered to look carefully at the evidence for themselves.

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

But for the vast majority, the only source of evidence is................ the press!

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read both the UK and French press and there is a marked difference in the way that they report things. If I took one or the other as my only point of information I would possibly have a skewed view of what is happening, but when I see both and the point at which they converge, I think I maybe getting towards the truth of what is going on.