1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pride of Anglia - and even ITFC admit it!!

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

3. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

according to guru, warky et al, it doesn't matter that they are cat2 as they are effectively cat1 so i can't understand why bryan klug is so concerned about this. maybe he just needs reassurance from those two genius's <ok>

4. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

does he seem concerned? he said it wasn't a problem in the short term. and in all likelyhood we will get it next year, so no problems. clutching at straws again boys.

5. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

There may be straw clutching going on, Guru, but I don't think it's on the Norwich side.

7. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

guru, are you still stating that what i said on the thread on the ipswich board was nonsense, even though it is true? <doh>

8. Guru of Ipswich

Thing is boys it has happened in the past with guys like Ruel Fox and it will happen in the future whether cat1 was here or not, so whats the feather preening (sorry for the pun) all about.

Lets get this straight, of course cat1 is where we want to be it would be silly to protest otherwise, all that me and warky are saying is it isn't the death of young kids coming through at ITFC.

9. Guru of Ipswich

I would call it an overreaction by yourself more than anything else. you were right on some, wide of the mark on a lot.

10. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

if you think its still the same as it was when the likes of fox were around then you're hugely wrong (as usual). in those days there were no limits on travel - now there are. if norwich didn't have cat1 most of their catchment area would be in the north sea. as it stands ipswich's catchment area is pretty ropey too, though obviously nowhere near as bad as norwich's would have been. but being able to take kids from anywhere is an enormous advantage, especially if we snap up the best kids in your own catchment zone leaving you with the duds. its already been happening for one year. ok, you might well get included next time but you'll then be two years behind and won't have anything like the infrastructure in place that city do, so you may as well add another year to that. it's not rocket science. klug will be worried - that's why he was so desperate to get cat1 now. its a massive setback for you guys

11. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

wide of the mark on what exactly? you said i was talking nonsense throughout

12. Guru of Ipswich

so then basically what you are saying is that any kid that doesn't show promise from say the age of 13 will be a dud and never go on to anything.

nowt like encouraging the kids in this world to work hard to reach their dreams.

13. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

i think you've taken me too literally. it was a figure of speech. in terms of signing the best youngsters in your catchment area its increasingly likely you'd miss out to us or other cat1 clubs

14. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Klug admitted he's concerned as the majority of decent young talent will inevitably slip through his fingers and end up the right side of the river Waveney <ok>

To be fair, any parent who harbours any ambition for their kid wants them to be looked after, schooled and trained at the highest possible level - and cat 1 > cat 2, however you try and dress it up.

It's like choosing between Strathclyde university or Cambridge, as an example. One horse race <ok> <laugh>

:emoticon-0159-music Who's the Pride of Anglia :emoticon-0159-music

15. Guru of Ipswich

he also said in the short term we will be alright and that parents will be able to see what we are doing. wouldn't want anybody else heading up our academy.

quick question about this academy thing, can the auditors grade you down? i presume that even when you are cat1 you still have regular audits to make sure you are maintaining standards?

16. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It'd be pretty poor if they couldn't. I presume inspections are less frequent though, whilst if you're trying to get boosted up a category you can request more frequent inspections?

17. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Personally I am against this Category system. I work in talent ID and player pathways for a Governing body of a different sport to football so know a bit about nurturing young and gifted athletes in daily training environments.

In truth, it is a setback to us. But in effect nothing has changed as yet, though if we don't get Cat1 next season then the air of change will be pretty noticeable and unpleasant for us (luckily for us we seem likely to push ourselves over that line in 12 months) The fact that West Ham are Cat1 is probably as big, if more of an issue to us as Essex has been a bigger catchment to us, but coupled with you guys it would certainly be an issue further down the line, unless we gain some parity in terms of cat1 status

As in any high performance sport, the athletes will be influenced by who the coach is (happens in all the sports I have dealt with) as a Cat1 you have a badge and status which is becoming to mean a lot more in football, but athletes will move to where they feel the coach will benefit them (both clubs seem to have a decent coaching setup) and I think parents and athletes can see the value in the Ipswich academy programme.

So, in summary to my long winded ramble (i have had to cut myself short of a lot of my comparisons to work) if this were a race, you guys have got the jump start on us, but we have the opportunity to join the race next year and catch up over the resulting years... This is not taking into consideration if either side leaves this division.. up or down.

18. Guru of Ipswich

exactly!

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Funny how your comment infers that is what you have been saying! Not true!

20. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Spot on