1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 17, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Lilywhites Win

33.3%
  2. Canaries Win

50.0%
  3. Stalemate

16.7%
  1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

It was Oliveira that fed Naismith! <ok>

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Very true, Dave, and it was a good pass, but Naismith had to change the direction of the ball to lay it on into JM's path for the assist, and as I said, it was his second of the match. There have been many negatives on here about Naismith, but he seldom gets any credit for his positive contributions.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of the highlights Rick, Naismith actually played well - he just hasn't dome it often enough IMO.
    Oh, hang on a minute - who was missing - ah yes - Hoolahan!!!! I hope we see less and less of him in the starting 11.

4. RiverEndRick

Naismith has 6 goals in 18 starts and 9 sub appearances this season, JMF. His assists and defensive contributions aren't bad for an AM either. I know we disagree about him, but for me he contributes more than he gets credit for.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If he puts in more performances like he did yesterday, I MIGHT change my mind about him and I do agree that he helps out our pathetic defence quite regularly!! <ok>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think, for the £8,5 million <yikes> <doh> spent on him, people are realistically entitled to see such performances. Every single time he wears the shirt. There have been far more times where he's gone awol, looked totally disinterested and not even given remotely close to 80%, never mind 100 that there are still some fans who question the 'wisdom' of bringing him to the club and his commitment to the (sadly lost) cause <ok>

KIO, DUNCAN DONUTS and SuffolkCanary like this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I see it Cromer and as you say, that is the sort of performance he should be putting in MOST weeks, not just rarely.
    If you look at the relatively 'simple' chances that both he and CJ have missed over the season, then whilst we have conceded 66 goals, we would have the highest goals scored total in the Championship by some considerable distance!!!!

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  8. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

All strikers miss chances, it's the nature of the beast. It's not lack of goals that's stopped us at least getting in the play offs it's sh!t defending.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I can't recall on which thread the Maddison / Godfrey debates have been raging (?) recently, so I'll post it here.
    The article states - as I said the other day:
    And JM has made 60 appearances already, some as sub, admittedly for Covvers, Aberdeen - and eventually us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Maddison

I know there's a gulf in class between the divisions in which those 3 currently operate, but the underlying principles of ball retention and use, reading the game and maintaining discipline are the same regardless.
    So, to use a motoring analogy, he's done plenty of driving on quiet country lanes, but he won't be the complete package until he's spent some time getting used to the faster pace of motorway driving <ok>

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=488470#ixzz4egfsyw1f

carrowcanario likes this.
  10. RiverEndRick

Much as I'm a very keen advocate of young players, the HC should choose the players he thinks will do the best job in a particular match. Having said that, however, now that the play-offs are out of reach we have a good opportunity to blood young players for the rest of the season. JM took his chance well and will certainly be on the bench against Brighton, hopefully alongside Godfrey. Had we scored another goal earlier he'd have probably come on as well against Preston, but his chance will come.

DHCanary and JM Fan like this.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Having witnessed JM and Godfrey 'in the flesh' - I'd love to see them given more than a cameo in the game against Koo Pee Aargh and see how they cope. I'm sure Godfrey can't be any worse than the hapless Bassong/Bennett/Turner (delete as appropriate) and it would give SW more opportunity to decide whether they're good enough, or he needs to be looking at buying replacements.
    Certainly, from what I've seen, JM's reading of the game, ball control and passing are way ahead of Wes.

12. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Sorry RER but I've got to disagree, if we are to take full advantage of our academy and we want to develop young players into top quality players that can represent us / bring in the cash then the HC needs to be doing much more than picking the best 11 for a particular match. For example say we're on a winning streak (hard to believe I know) and we're playing a bottom of the table team then that would potentially be a good time to put in a player or 2 for development purposes rather than the players the HC thinks may do a the best job, thereby managing players development and also resting maybe a better player.

The academy system works best when it's a conveyor belt, meaning we get good prospects, develop them, sell them for good money and invest that in the team, slowly raising the overall standard of the squad i.e. the Southampton way. That system will never work if selection is only based on picking the best 11 and not having regard to developing players.

The HC role is to manage the coaching and development of all players, not just the best 11, 18 etc, etc, The development of up and coming players needs to be managed with a view to consistant improvement in their ability, that's not going to happen through them just sitting on the bench waiting their turn.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Spot on! - post du jour Canario <applause>

14. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

JM Fan likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I'm fairly certain you'll get your wish, OCF. On the proviso that we have young(er) replacements that SW feels comfortable drafting in or can identify and convince suitable replacements to join.
    But we'll not make progress by merely treading water and clinging on to them just because they've been 'good servants' - hopefully those days are gone <ok>
    Ruthless, business headed streak needed please, Stuart. :emoticon-0112-wonde

JM Fan likes this.
  16. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

After further reflection I concede that Wildshut Pritchard and Naismith were all excellent signings and will be key figures in the play offs this season.

17. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

<laugh>

This incessant optimism getting on your tits too? :grin:

KIO and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

19. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

If they influence the result against Feeds they could be....... <whistle>

20. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That begs an interesting question actually. Based on my own and others suggestions, about 8 new senior players are desirable this summer in order to build a squad with minimal deadwood and a shot of promotion. If Webber feels that number of quality additions can't be made (due to finances or availability), will he choose to keep hold of a couple of older heads, or rush some youngsters into the first team?

Walsh.i.am, ncgandy and JM Fan like this.