1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 17, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 17, 2017.
  1. Lilywhites Win

33.3%
  2. Canaries Win

50.0%
  3. Stalemate

16.7%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

And how long ago did I change my Avatar???????? <doh>

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    canary-dave likes this.
  2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

It may be frustrating for those of us wanting the youffs to have a chance, but IMO AI got it just right today. Leading 2-1 away from home, Preston pressing for an equalizer was the right time for JM's debut. Nothing to lose now, Olivera slipped the ball to Naismith who laid on an excellent through ball to JM who converted it very coolly. Would that have happened against Fulham if he hadn't taken a knock in training? AI said he'd have been on the bench otherwise. I think not. As it is, he made his league debut with a well taken goal that secured the victory. Great for him, great for us. Now he can build on that. Does that mean the end of Wes? No. What we do have is a clear succession in that position. My final thought is just remember how many on this Board complained when we spent a considerable amount of money on such a young player, when we could have spent it on a well established player.

canary-dave likes this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was playing regularly and scoring the odd blinder for Aberdeen earlier in the season.
    Stop making it sound as if he's only just potty-trained.
    He decided not to return up north to "stay and fight for his place" here.
    So where exactly has that got him - twelve minutes game time capped with a goal on his full debut.
    Hardly vindicates his brave decision to stay put when he could have had a full half-seaon of game time and experience elsewhere.
    Take the velvet gloves and cotton wool off - he's a young man, not a kid.

Resurgam likes this.
  4. RiverEndRick

Whoa Cromer! Yes he was playing regularly for Aberdeen, but he himself said that the level there was similar to that he had been playing in at Coventry in League One. He has just turned 20 and that is young for the demanding role of ACM in the Championship. If he had been thrown in earlier and made mistakes it could have set back his career and his confidence for the future. Not long ago, some of our 'fans' were booing Jacob Murphy after a few mistakes. That sort of thing can do damage to a young player making his way in the game. If you feel that he should have been chosen above Wes and Pritchard in earlier games, then, much as I like him as a player, I have to disagree. Yes, he chose to "stay and fight for his place" here but I'm sure he was told how difficult that was likely to be. As it is he has made his league debut in triumphant style and I'm sure he'll get more game time now. For me, that is one of the consolations of our present situation well short of the play-off places and bodes well for the future.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've been out most of the day and it was only when I got home around 6pm that I realised JM had not only come on as a sub, but he took his goal very calmly after a brilliant pass by Oliveira I believe it was.
    Has his first appearance come at the right time - I DO believe it has and I for one was certainly advocating that in both today's game and in our last home game would be an ideal time to give him some game time. Actually Rick, I don't believe that he should be selected ahead of either Hoolahan or Pritchard, but as has been said, Hoolahan's playing career is nearing its end, Pritchard is a more than able replacement and not only has he had several MotM awards in recent weeks, but he has been consistently one of our better players, who has 'put a shift in' in every game he's played recently, so game time for JM is likely to be limited. What may happen next season with a new HC and HOPEFULLY new/varied tacics/team line ups, we may occasionally see both on the pitch together
    AI has said he needs to work on being more defensive, but I was at the under23 game V Leipzig and when Cantwell came on, he sat deeper and seemed perfectly happy and capable in that position and again it will be interesting to see how the new HC feels he can best benefit the team.
    I'm quietly confident that he'll go on to be a major asset to our squad.
    PS - Watch out for Glenn Middleton making an impact in the next few seasons as well!!!! <ok>

canary-dave and ncgandy like this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Many complained that we spent stupid amounts on Pritchard and Naismith who have mainly failed miserably over the season.

7. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Have to disagree about Pritchard DD. Under AN he was messed about big time, so never got a run of matches to make any impact. Now that he is playing consistently he is MOM contender virtually every game.

8. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Excellent result and particularly pleased for Maddison. That's put him firmly in the spotlight for the rest of the season and next. How is it best to use Hoolahan, Pritchard and Maddison in a team without leaving one out long term? Appreciate Wes will be slowing down somewhat but he's still got it for now.

9. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

IMO, a lot will depend on the tactics/team selection that the new HC favours and I'd love to see both AP and JM start some games with Wes available as a sub.

Edit - A quote from PD's article today sums it up for me - "Newly-promoted Brighton under Chris Hughton may prove less accommodating at Carrow Road on Friday but the impact of Maddison and Murphy is grounds for renewed optimism."
    Good to see both given an opportunity and let's hope it's just the beginning of our more promising youf being integrated into the first team squad!! <ok>

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    canary-dave likes this.

11. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

What a great Easter Weekend it turned out to be!

Thumping wins for both of us yesterday! <ok>

Ours was a little less expected!

12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Hardly, ours was away from Carrow Road !!! <yikes>
    Or perhaps you haven't realised how abject we've been on the road this season. :emoticon-0112-wonde

13. johnnywarksmoustache

Sir Bobby was definitely smiling down on us yesterday!
    We can now look forward to our 18th consecutive season in the Championship! Yay!!

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Our second (2nd) is a depressing enough thought!! :grin:
    Still, at least ITFC can never be accused of being a 'yo yo' club <laugh>

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  15. johnnywarksmoustache

At least we now know that Redknapp will not be your next manager! <laugh> <ok>

JM Fan and General Melchett like this.
  16. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

To be honest with the squad you have you have seriously underachieved

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

We were relegated from the PL for a reason, basically our squad is full of aging has beens <ok>

carrowcanario and Resurgam like this.
  18. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

or indeed never beens.

19. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

And just bone idle - or cheapskate to retain on extended contracts ageing war-horses like Whittaker and Turner instead of freshening up the squad for the rigorous challenges ahead.
    You reap what you sow in this game <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

The through ball to JM was by Naismith not Oliveira, JMF, and that was his second assist of the match. JM finished it beautifully though! <ok>

JM Fan likes this.