1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier Relegated Clubs -What happened next?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Penshawdave, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Penshawdave

Penshawdave Well-Known Member

Some articles today have mentioned the wages cap (60% of turnover) Others brought in the seemingly unfair "parachute" payments for relegated clubs.

I wondered what had happend to these relegated clubs over the past years and came up with the following:
    The following show the year of relegation followed by what they did the next year in the Championship.

2005/6 Birmingham (2nd) WBA (4th) Sunderland (1st)

2006/7 Sheff U (6th) Charlton (11th) Watford (6th)

2007/8 Reading (4th) Birmingham (2nd) Derby (18th)

2008/9 Newcastle (1st) Middlesboro (11th) WBA (2nd)

2009/10 Burnley (8th) Hull (11th) Portsmouth (16th)

2010/11 Birmingham (?) Blackpool (?) WHU (?)

Previous relegated teams achievements of note who achieved promotion the following year.
    2000/1 .. Man City --promoted following season as Champs
    2001/2 ... Leicester promoted 2nd
    2002/3… WBA promoted 2nd
    2003/4 and 2004/5 Nothing

it would appear that the more recent years 2005 to present produced more by way of promotion in following years.

Last season 3 relegated teams did not do so well this year and perhaps bucked the trend OR the Championship this year was stronger than normal.

Next years Championship to me looks even stronger and 2 relegated clubs, Birmingham and West Ham could bounce straight back...BUT will they hold onto their top squad members

I wonder ....

2. Whiteyorkist

Whiteyorkist Active Member

Last year was a one off. All the teams that came down had problems one way or another mainly financially but eventually started to get their acts together just to miss out.
    This year Birmingham must be favourites.
    West Ham will be very difficult to beat with Fergies bum boy in charge, but it depends on how many of their players they retain. I predict a 7ft forward and a CB who can kick the ball long!!!

Blackpool without Adam will be a totally different side; I wouldn’t like to predict what they’ll do especially with Holloway in charge.

So it’s up to us to put a bloody big dent in their ambitions, we know what’s needed in this division so let’s go for it.

3. coalville-white

It would seem to depend on the financial situation the relegated club are in when they come down the biggest suprise for me last season was Burnley the did not live the dream in the premiership spending stupid money . They were the strongest financially of the 3 sides that came down and should have been right up there from the start.

This season should be interesting as Birmingham have financial problems they will proberbly have to trim the squad , West Ham talk good football normally through Karen Brady in the Sun but again have financial issues can they keep there best players . Blackpool are an unknown if they have a good start then they will be in the mix .
    All in all should be another tight race for promotion

4. Cosmic_LUFC

Cosmic_LUFC Active Member

west ham talk good football but wont be playing good football with fat sam in charge

5. Whole-lot-of-Holt_HtH

My prediction:

1)Birmingham
    2)Leeds

3)West Ham
    4)Leicester
    5)Burnley
    6)Boro

7)Reading
    8)Forest
    9)Cardiff

Why has Loiner changed his name?

6. billyboy

billyboy New Member

he changed it because the other was like supporting fat ****in delia----**** ok---now piss off

7. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Watch it Billy Loiners coming to get you <ok>

please log in to view this image

YOUR BANNED <laugh>

8. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

Along with the rest of us,,,,,

please log in to view this image

9. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

West Ham i think will struggle as allot will leave..... but think big Sam will do a job - my predicition - playoff
    Birmingham have signed some decent free's but again they will loose quiet a few also i think a bad start and the mgr will be sacked.... - my prediction 8th
    Blackpool love their Manager he is a real motivator i think again they will loose Adam and a few more..but he has an eye for plyers and can get the best out of them ......- Prediction playoff

1. Leicester
    2. Reading

3 Blackpool
    4 Ipswich
    5 Leeds
    6 West Ham

10. Penshawdave

Hi Spanish

So you think Sven will do the job next season ! That might depend on the local talent <diva> I cant see Blackpool being up there and there will be quite a few managers shown the door by Christmas ??

Next season has the makings of a very close comp between at least 12 clubs and I hope we are in the thick of it.

I hope the weather stays nice in your region as I am in Ibiza as from Monday.:cool::emoticon-0141-whew::emoticon-0157-sun::emoticon-0157-sun:<ale>:<ale>
    and :<ale>

I am reserving my forecast till end of July when we can see all the ins and outs.

I will be launching my TOP SIX POINTS CHALLENGE in mid July so look forward to your entry....you might change your mind by then and put Leeds on top. <cheers>

11. Whole-lot-of-Holt_HtH

Good luck next season Leeds fans (apart from BillyBoy, who is an odious toerag)

12. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

Penshaw.... the weather next week is fab..
    Mon in the 80's - most of the week .... u will love it :)
    Have a great time

13. Penshawdave

Cheers Spanish

Thats cheered me up...its raining here.

14. billyboy

billyboy New Member

wish i could meet you---u inbred twat the midwife through the wrong thing away no wot i mean u buggie smuggler