1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Premier League: Burnley V Southampton 3 pm Saturday 14/1/2017

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

No, as I said I've told people to give him time over this season. I do think his personality hasn't endeared him to the fans at all. I guess right now you can consider me 60/40 against him, but it's still too early to judge. I do think we are due a turn in fortune soon and a little winning run - starting against Norwich.

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Interesting language fact; the French word "interessant" has a slightly different meaning to the English "interesting", though they share a common Latin root.

Interessant in French is closer in meaning to the English "having an interest in", ie. you would hope to profit from your interest. A small difference, but imo a significant one.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Jay said recently that Claude does get angry behind the scenes, so he isn't as he appears in interviews.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

How about we start against Liverpool? :)

Archers Road and Osvaldorama like this.
  5. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Do you not blame the board for supplying Puel with "boring" players. Redmond, Boufal and Tadic are the only players in our team that have anything like flair. Not one single central player as an ounce of flair or creativity. That isn't Puel fault.

6. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

CP's previous & very typical approach is exactly what we're experiencing - a rather slow moving forward line (I'll refrain from saying dull) with possession, key. Typical results being 0-0 or the odd goal either way, usually in his favour. That's how he made his name in France I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed his philosophy much over here. I don't believe he has lost anyone in the dressing room but I bet a few are unsure, concerned with his tactics. Also, none of our forwards really fit his style; certainly Long anyway. You can see Redmond is struggling with the hesitation in surging forward & that's born out by Ryan's on field frustrations as well.

IMO we desperately need a really good ACM & that's been same for a number years but with CP's style of play, it's even more important. And another quality striker (hopefully with a bit of muscle & height), if only to add a different option. Hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll get either.

7. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Agree with that second paragraph. Attacking midfielder is just as important as a striker and we desperately need both. Hopefully if not January we will get them in the summer.

8. garysfc

If her "generals" have said don't worry, we won't go down, why would she invest ............. just answering you question.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I get more sympathy for Puel as each match goes by....he took on a difficult job....as it would be hard for him to follow his predecessors' success. His only real hope was to get through in the Europa....and he nearly did that. The League Cup is very important for him as a final would add gloss to the gingerbread....but he has to keep one eye on the EPL games.

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  10. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating boot throwing, bottle kicking or being sent to the stands. But would like to see our manager show a little passion. Obviously we don't know what things are like behind closed doors but I can't picture how puel gets the team fired up.

11. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

78% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

fatletiss likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Have you not seen him react on the touch line? Watch the Bournemouth game and Jay's goal.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  13. Archers Road

Really? You think fans pay to be entertained by the manager in interviews?

fatletiss likes this.
  14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Apparently around 200 Spurs fans will from the season after next. Their £18,000 a year season ticket includes exclusive access to the manager's post match interviews. Because yeah, that is clearly what the fans want.

15. Archers Road

For 18 grand a year I'd want his home number,and for him to attend my kids' school sports days.

thereisonlyoneno7 and Libby like this.
  16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Well the French seem to like him anyway. Here he is on match du jour (or something).

This is great actually, the first couple of minutes is Claude's career highlights.

Archers Road likes this.
  17. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

OMG, a great Puel chant. If this isn't sung in the Northam immediately I quit.

VVD likes this.
  18. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I always thought it was 78.3%?

19. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I think that a managers character and personality massively affects fans perception of him, yes. If a manager is liked he will be given more lea-way with the fans.
    For him to be as boring as he is, means fans get on his back more quickly. Not sure why you're disagreeing, this is an obvious point.

20. garysfc

Sky certainly put it high up the flag pole & they in reality are our "boss".