1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Predicted England Line Up France 2016

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by wheres_me_guly, Oct 13, 2015.

1. wheres_me_guly

I'm interested on getting everyone's opinion on the starting line up for our European Championship campaign, what are everyone's thoughts? Mine would be:

Hart
    Clyne Cahil jagielka Shaw
    Henderson Delph
    Wallcott. Barkley. Sterling
    Rooney

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Swap Jagielka for Stones and Wilshere for Delph (injury permitting) and I don't think that will be too far from what it is, though I doubt Shaw will make it. Welbeck will be involved as well providing he gets fit again.

EDIT: What about Smalling? Probably have him start with Cahill. Jagielka will be too old by then for a starting berth.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Hart
    Clyne Stones Cahill Bertrand
    Milner Delph
    Walcott Rooney Sterling
    Sturridge

Of course if Barkley can keep up his form, Kane recover his, and Wilshere get fit again, then it will be hard to leave those guys out.

It's gonna be a big season for some of these guys.

4. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Hart
    Clyne - Stones - Smalling - Shaw/Bertrand
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Walcott - Rooney - Sterling
    Sturridge

Also, when is everyone going to admit that Kane is no where near as good as people are trying to make out? Every time he has a poor game he's "unlucky" or had a "frustrating time" - admittedly he banged for about 25 games last season but he was average before that and he's looking average again. A modern day Michael Ricketts, if you will, the media are setting the guy up for a massive fall from grace.

5. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

Definitely have Stones in there - best potential centre back since Ferdinand (could become even better). Doubtful Delph will play much regularly this season (may be made to eat my words, but think he would have been better staying at Villa for this season). Not convinced about who should be left midfield - Sterling gives the ball away too.much and has an often poor final ball - hopefully he can get to be more consistent with city this season because he can be a match winner. The other thing is someone will have a blinding season who is not in the frame currently. In the past managers often don't take a risk on these players, I think Hodgson might.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Midifeld really is our weakest position at the moment, I can't see us controlling a midfield against any of the better teams.

To go a bit further, as it stands who would you take in the squad? 23 to select, and you have to have 3 GK's so a back up for each position. Assuming we're going with Roys favoured 4-3-3 formation, here's mine:

GK: Hart, Butland, Forster*
    Def: Jenkinson, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Stones, Jagielka, Bertrand, Shaw*
    Mid: Wilshere*, Henderson, Carrick, Milner, Delph, Barkley
    Fwd: Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck* Walcott, Kane, Lallana

*providing the players are fit.

Looking at that, I think the place where most positions are up for grabs really is the forwards. I would say Roy already knows 19/20 of the 23 he wants to take. Just realised I haven't got the Ox in there either, maybe take Jenkinson out and allow Smalling/Stones to cover rb.

Not sure why everyone is putting 4-2-3-1 when it's been shown under Roy that he likes us to play 4-3-3.

How far can we go with this squad? I'd say quarters at best without any luck, which for me would be a pretty good return as long as we're not embarrased by whoever knocks us out and it is a top side.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

This is very true as well, and probably most true of forward players, for example if Vardy keeps his form up all season and scores 15+ league goals then surely you would have to take him?

8. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

What about if JayRod has a storming second half of the season?

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Him as well, this is what I mean by the most up for grabs spots are the forward positions, though you have to concede Rooney will definitely go, as will probably Welbeck and Sturridge providing they're fit and scoring.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't drop someone on one game, but Chamberlain was poor yesterday (apart from the goal). He just isn't playing enough. Fairly typical of how Arsenal seem to hold back players.
    Putting my England hat on, I'm hoping that Klopp can get the best out of a fit Adam Lallana. We know he has real potential and could be a shoo in for the international side.
    The England team seem to lack real stars....however that was also considered to be true in 1966. A team can be better than its parts.

11. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I agree Lallana should be a shoo in, on ability alone, but I'm not sure about his application.
    I really felt, with his ability, and given his seniority in the England team v Lithuania (compared to those around him), that he should have stamped his authority on the game, but he didn't.
    I can only recall two passes of note, from last night's game. The 1-2 leading to the OG, and the 5th corner he took, bringing a good save from the keeper.
    Against such a low rated team, I would expect him to cause panic around their penalty area, but he didn't.
    I can see him playing second fiddle to Barkley, as time goes by.

12. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Frustratingly, I still believe that who you play for is the most important selection criteria. Take Danny Ings. He had a cracking season for Burnley last year; caps......none. This year he's hardly featured for Liverpool but immediately gets called up. Even Lallana should have played more in the World Cup when he was at the top of his game. Right now, he should be nowhere near the squad. Watching his last two games he flattered to deceive. He made some great runs with lots of tricky dicky, fancy feet stuff but generally ended up going nowhere or literally falling over himself. Still, he is a decent player and might get it back under Klopp.

I hope Vardy can keep up his form and force himself in, but realistically I think he'd have to be beyond sensational to replace Rooney.

And, as my dark horse selection, Ward-Prowse. If he continues like he is and if Carrick has fitness doubts, I can see him sneaking in.

13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I'll go with...

Hart; Clyne, Stones, Cahill, Bertrand; Henderson, Milner; Walcott, Rooney, Sterling; Kane.