1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season Games/Contracts/New Signings/News

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 11, 2016.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Spoke to a member of the coaching staff at the match today said I had heard a rumour about a new G / K he asked who it was and I said McLaughlin the ex Bradford keeper and the response was not one of the names mentioned in the dressing room

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  2. old timer

Just looked at the Daily Telegraph assessment of the league 1 teams for the coming season
    Relegation candidates Northampton, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, A F C Wimbledon and Swindon.
    I thought that most of the promoted teams had recruited well but they obviously don't agree. Though I do think we are in for a long hard struggle this season unless players are brought in to strengthen the squad

3. old timer

Looked at the Newsnow thread for the Rovers and according to the Evening Post DC is hoping to bring in 3 / 4 players before the deadline, would rather they where here now so that they could have had a pre season with us and got use to our way of playing

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think we'll be fine, particularly because there haven't been too many changes, unlike The Cobblers and Oxford. Wimbledon have recruited quite heavily with players from a higher level, so I think they'll survive. Swindon are in a mess and some smaller teams that did well last season may find it hard to keep the momentum going...Walsall, Rochdale, Scunthorpe etc

5. old timer

Gastro Scunthorpe and Rochdale are tipped for playoffs and Walsall mid table
    One of the things against Oxford is the loss of Roofe and O'Dowd
    I still think we are short of Quality in M / F and a G / K

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Just a guess, I havent been told anything from anyone in the know, but I think that we will sign 2 more players and both will be loans for the season. they wont sign though until the last few days of the transfer window. Prem teams have to submit their squad of 25 by the end of the month when the transfer window closes. Then when the loan window re-opens, teams can then loan out the players who are not in their 25 man squad. But now as there is no loan window when the transfer window shuts, these players not in contention to be in the 25 man squads will be available to loan and their clubs will be wanting them gone so they are playing games. I think we will then get in 2 players.

7. old timer

Doesn't the loan window shut the same time as the transfer window now they have stopped the emergency loans

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yes. Thats what I said above. Instead of getting loans after the transfer window shuts, we will loan players in before the transfer window shuts.

9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Looks as though the likes of Oldham, Bury and Shrewsbury are favourites to go down, but the odds are usually wrong.

10. old timer

City to finish mid table in todays paper

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think we may shock a few people that we will easily survive as a fair few (non gasheads) on twitter thinks we will go straight down again.

12. old timer

Evening post claim we are interested in signing Hiram Boateng from Crystal Palace on loan he had two spells at Plymouth last season before injury cut it short, classed as a box to box midfielder or a defensive midfielder

13. old timer

In the WDP today DC distanced himself from the signing of the Carlisle C/D and said that they were in conversations with his targets, so does that mean he is looking for a new C/D

14. old timer

G/K Kelle Roos signed on loan from Derby County, He played for AFC Wimbledon against us last season

15. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he had around 9 clean sheets in 20 games Wombles fans seem to rate him

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

PUBLISHED

10:00 25th August 2016

Bristol Rovers today made their second signing of the week, bringing Swansea defender Connor Roberts in on a six-month loan, subject to international clearance.

Roberts, a Welsh U-19 and U-21 international, has yet to make his first team debut for the Premier League side but made 45 league appearances for Yeovil Town during a season long loan in 2015/16.

Speaking of his latest signing, manager Darrell Clarke said; “I would like to welcome Connor to the club and wish him a successful time with us.

“Connor was a regular in Yeovil’s League Two side last season and can play on the right or left, as a full back or wing back, and will provide competition to Daniel Leadbitter and Lee Brown for either of those places.”

Roberts is a graduate of the Swansea City Academy and signed a one year pro deal with The Swans in 2014 and won the Professional U-21 Development League Two title with the Swansea U-21 side in 2014/15 before signing a new two year contract with the Welsh outfit.

Last season was spent on loan with Yeovil Town and played in all but one of their league games and picked up three Player of the Year Awards for The Glovers.

He made his Welsh U-21 debut against Romania on 29th March this year.

17. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

18. old timer

Plays left or right back / wing back or c / h
    played 40 plus games last season for Yeovil so he knows to expect some hard knocks at this level, sounds like a good signing.
    2 down 2 to go and if the next 2 are as good as these 2 appear to be then we will have squad ready to challenge at the top end of the division

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The fact this Roberts guy played for Yeovil last season, doesnt fill me with confidence. But then I read he will add competition to Leadbitter and Brown. So he wont be replacing them but will act as cover which is fine by me. I think he will be more cover for Brown as James Clarke seems to be the cover for Leadbitter and I cant see Brown getting dropped. Then I read that Roberts won 3 player of year awards so must be a good player who had been let down by the rest of their squad. Good signing me thinks for starter or for cover. He sounds like he can fit in perfectly when needed for a run of games or even play here or there <ok>

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Tweet from Roberts..