1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Powell Sacked

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by dick plumb, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Leaburns legs

Leaburns legs Member

Powell was black it doesn't mean people supported him because he was black.
    Powell smiled, it doesn't mean people supported him because he smiled.
    The first fact is utterly irrelevant to almost all Charlton fans, the second may be a clue to the way he went about his business and why he had the respect of his players but in itself is not why I or others supported him.

2. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

If you think that we didn't sack hin because of the colour of his skin you have to really question yourself for thinking that. It's like I'm angry at how the media are making a fuss about Powell being a black manager being sacked and not just a manager being sacked.

I don't care if our manager is black, white, green or purple, if he can go about his job keep him, if he can't sack him.... oooo don't want ant to sack him because he's not got the same colour skin as me....

No one thinks like that and if they do they have a problem

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

It wasn't a myth, as I said. W hen Richard Murray announced Curbs' departure there was a cheer went up from a small section of the support, and we didn't hear from them again, because the fans spent the next 2 hours cheering Curbs, ignoring the football.

4. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Well said, Ted. I'm not sure why the media need to keep banging on with this issue; it belittles the black folk who are earnestly trying to make their way in the game. If they learn the ropes, earn their badges, and show something innovative and inspiring during the interview process, they will be considered. It is true that many clubs prefer to stick with the old dinosaurs of the game, but the Jurassic period is dying out and the young-guns will get their chance, regardless of race, creed and colour.

But nerks like Sol Campbell take the race issues back to the Dark Ages.

5. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

Amen Ted...!!

6. The Valley Redemption

I liked Powell as much as 85% of our support, but finding it far harder now to move on from the sale of Kermit than the Powell sacking... anyone out there who thinks we wouldn't be better with him in the team? I'll move on the day we get a replacement in!! And agree that Powell's dismissal had nothing to do with skin colour.

7. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

To be fair, I don't think Vol was saying his skin colour had anything to do with him being sacked, he was merely claiming that our support for him was based on it. When it wasn't.

8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Couldn't help thinking today that what we needed was someone up front with a bit of physical presence, composure and guile.

9. Leaburns legs

Leaburns legs Member

Which was what I was responding to. I'm glad you're on here Captain

10. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Few teams in the Championship have anyone with all those qualities. Such players cost 2 million and upwards. We were astute enough to pick one up on a free, and crazy enough to sell him for 400,000 (and I am not even sure if that figure was straight cash or includes possible add-ons). If we do go down it will be because we sold Kermorgant more than any other reason.

11. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Once again you are both confusing an opinion with an untruth. You only have to mingle with a certain section of Charlton fans to know that what you are saying is not accurate. Captain is something of a curator of Charlton message boards. He will have seen some of the sentiment directed towards Powell in the last week. Of course it was based on factors other than football. Bovril and Blankets sponsored middle class guilt.

Our friend AC (a true B&B merchant like Captain and LL) on ITTV gave a reason why Powell was a Charlton legend as "his tunnel jumps" <wah>

12. User deleted as requested

1. In some cases, it did.
    2. In some cases, it did.

13. User deleted as requested

Its a myth that Curbs left for the reason you cited. I know Jimmy, because I have spoken to Curbs and asked him.

14. User deleted as requested

You have got a bizarre habit of considering anything that doesn't fit in with your world view as an "untruth".

15. Ponders Revisited

Some fans viewed/still view Powell as their friend, and that is why some fans feel bitterly disappointment with his sacking. Of course it's nice to have a personable and affable guy as manager, and of course it's a bonus if that guy is a club legend, but within a results-based business these qualities will inevitably fall by the wayside.

I managed to work my way up to the highest echelons of local government in London because I was a hard bastard first, and a nice guy second. My staff hated me, yet they also rose up through the ranks and pay scales alongside me, so I'm sure my taskmaster methods were the right choice.

Now I work for myself and I'm the nicest boss one could hope for.

16. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

No, I have a bizarre habit of considering something for which there is no evidence as untrue when all the evidence suggests the contrary. It's called logic and reason.

My 'world view' is nothing more than the fact that Charlton fans support for Chris Powell was overwhelmingly based on his record as manager. I can (and did) prove that, whereas your 'world view' is based on absolutely nothing, or this 'certain section of Charlton fans' you can never actually find and quote - there are enough online forums, surely you could find them if they were actually there?. LL hit the nail on the head - you couldn't understand that our support for him was based on his successful record as manager, hence you sought your own alternative explanation. Which is a load of cobblers and, indeed, an insult to all the Charlton fans who supported him for the correct reasons (his record as manager).

There is undoubtedly a huge amount of affection for Chris Powell based on his record as a player, the tunnel jumps and his nice guy image. But it is perfectly possible to appreciate those (as I'm sure you do) and still divorce them from the judgement on how well he was doing as manager. Any other manager who had achieved what Powell had would have had the same support this season IMO. Perhaps in the minds of some his legend status played a small part in the judgement of him. But for every fan who supported him, the main reason for doing so was that he had proved he was a good manager doing a good job.

The fact is that his first two seasons as manager were a huge success. If you'd told me in the Summer of 2011 that 2 seasons later we would have finished just 3 points off the play-offs in the Championship I wouldn't have believed you. That success meant that through the struggles of this season Powell continued to have the support of the majority of Charlton fans. That's the bit you can't understand. A manager who has done a good job over 2 seasons but who then experiences a bad season has not become a bad manager.

You keep repeating the middle-class guilt mantra. What you're effectively doing is accusing Charlton fans of racism in giving the black guy an easy ride. That's a serious, and downright offensive, accusation. Please prove it, or retract it.

17. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

Or they are all to scared to say anything <laugh>

18. Jimmy The Addick

I did not say he left for any reason, i said he left and fans that wanted him gone got their wish, which is completely accurate

19. Ponders Revisited

I am a one man business, Oz. I sometimes scare myself, but not others.

20. User deleted as requested

Why base Powell's huge success on only two of the three seasons he was in charge? What about one of the seasons being in the Pie League, the first half of last season being terrible, and the whole of this season being the same? Once again, you mould the facts to fit in with your world view.

You have read the tributes to CP since last Monday and like me you know full well that some of them have nothing to do with football.