1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Potentially Big Blunder by Hughes

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by RobespierreFFC, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

i have been discussing which cardiff city manager i would like actually.

you fulham fans clearly dont realise how lucky you are to be in the premierleague. we at cardiff city would give anything to be where you are. only the brilliance of hodgson kept you up, and your chairman had the cheek to be bitter about his departure.

sparky will know that he has got fulham punching well above their weight, and he merely activated a clause in his contract to leave, its not as if he quit when fully under contract. may i remind you that he got you to 8th position, i suppose the attitude of some fans here think that fulham have some sort of divine right to be in the top half of the table.

and finally roscafre, i know your an troll, but still, i'll say it anyway, ryan giggs, better than any english player in the last decade, bale and ramsey are miles better than any of englands over rated bunch.

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

We're an established PL team, but we've not forgotten where we came from, and that was even lower than you.

My, somethings gotten into you, hasn't it? We've no right to be in the top half of the table, but somehow we've managed that in 2 out of 3 seasons - into Europe twice into the bargain. I see your lot has managed to bottle it again.

I think you should probably show some respect, especially as none of our lot has laid into your team.

3. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

well, fair enough, it's a shame i cant come on this board and have a decent discussion about a manager without some 10 year old troll butting in but anyway, its good to see jones sacked.

all i'm saying is hughes has done a great job for you lot - 8th place, its the equivalent of tevez saving west ham and then west ham moaning about him jumping ship to united.

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

It's not really the same though, is it. He's no longer nailed on for the Villa job, and he's an outsider for the Chelsea job. He could well be sat on his arse at home in front of the telly when the new season kicks off, with nothing but his "ambition" and Kia for company. So he's not gone to bigger and better things - yet. If he goes to Chelsea, fair play to him, I wish him all the best. But the way he's treated us is a bit of a slap in the face. Like others have said, he never embraced the club fully, it seems clear now he was using us as a stop-gap to haze the memory of the Man City farce and give himself a better name.

And to be honest, I've never seen roscafre post before - we're generally a good bunch on here :)

5. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

if a manager came to cardiff and got us promoted, then resigned at the end of the year, frankly i wouldnt give two hoots about any supposed lack of loyalty. if hughes is telling the truth, and he fails to get the villa job, which looks as if he wont get, then you guys get the last laugh. chelsea obviously only look abroad for managers so you can rule that one out too.

footballers do it all the time, harry redknapp did it i know its annoying to feel like a manager has used you as a stepping stone, but look at the posotives - you couldnt have asked for a better league finish, your in europe again, and also, although you may think he's an idiot, you've got to give credit to hughes for having the balls to take on fulham after the standards hodgson set.

6. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Super #20, I like those conspiracy theories !!! MH will land on his feet somewhere, but the way he has gone about it leaves a bad taste - In the end, money and looking after Number 1 counts. He deserves the "welcome" he'll get when he comes back at the Cottage, unlike the more respectful cheers normally reserved for our former bosses.

In a way, Swampy is right- Hughes goes in whatever way he thiinks appropriate. In the end, he did the job to keep us up and into 8th (equally it could have been 12th). Fulham are fairly stable, looking good for next season, and just need a reasonable "Fulhamish" manager to consolidate.

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that Sparky did a good job this season, and he's earned his plaudits - but at the risk of sounding bitter (I'm becoming less so by the day :p) he's not handled this very well, whichever way you look at it. Particularly (as I've said before) as he's not jumped straight into the arms of another job, he's just said he's young and ambitious. Although we're not in crisis by any means, I'd stop short of saying we're particularly stable.

Also, it doesn't matter how many disloyal players and managers there are - it doesn't make it any less infuriating and it certainly doesn't make it right.

All this said, I am looking forward to seeing who the new guy is and very much looking forward to our next Europa adventure. COYW.

8. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

My view on the matter has sobered since this morning. Credit where it's due. Well done MH. He only came to us when we needed him- with the season fast approaching. With the get out clause there you can't help but feel Al Fayed and MH perhaps had a pre-nuptial agreement that he could go at the end of the season. Al Fayed fought for him to stay as we had a great second half. What is important is he stopped us from crashing after Roy Departed. Now we need to build on that finish. MH could have handled the matter much better- but we, the plebs, don't know fully what happened and therefore can never have an accurate view. Thanks Mark.

9. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Scrap that- the mans a bastard

10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

11. Joe Kinnear

Joe Kinnear Member

I think Hughes has massively shot himself in the foot... then the other foot then he's shot his leg kneecapped himself and then blew his brains out.

- People are saying he'd never get credit for the team as it was Woy's but by extending his stay at Fulham he could have further strengthened the squad and put his stamp on the side.

- Fulham are an extremely well run club with little interference from the owner (barring that stupid statue). Hughes found out at Man City that interfering owners can cause problems and the Villa owner seems very hands on and has already fallen out with O'Neill then sacked his replacement. Abramovic at Chelsea is a meddler too and was clearly signing players over Ancelotti's head, so in the remote chance he'd get the Chelsea job it'd probably only be for 12 months and he'd just be seen as Ancelotti's caretaker.

As someone else mentioned I think Hughes will end up sitting out this season waiting in the wings for someone to get the bullet somewhere. He's never going to find a better club than Fulham to take him on and he's deluded if he thinks another top six club will give him a chance.

12. valjing

valjing Member

Good article.

13. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Well put, Joe.

14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

^ Likewise

15. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I couldn't believe he said 'further my ambitions'

Look at how that turned out last time at Man City Sparkles.

The guy is seriously deluded if he thinks he deserves a job at a top club. He had his chance at City with a blank chequebook and look how he did. Also signing the likes of Adebayor, Lescott and Jo probably didn't help. I seriously hope this guy isn't given another chance at the top.

16. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

I was never a great fan oh Hughes', but to be fair he came to us at a time when we were in the lurch and did a pretty good job. He hasn't broken a contract - just decided not to sign a new one. This is a storm in a tea cup. At least now we have some time to make a propper appointment.

17. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Firstly, I never called for Hughes to be sacked. I said he was the right appointment since before Jol and I wasn't so fickle as to think sacking Hughes mid-season would have been anything but disastrous for us.

However, it's not that Hughes left. If a manager goes to a better job, no-one should resent that (I had no problem with Hodgson leaving, for instance, although it was always going to end in tears). However Hughes has effectively stated that he's better off with no job than the Fulham job. That is why people are annoyed with him.

18. Cottagecravens

I mentioned this before. Hughes has had an ok season as have Fulham - average nothing more. Yes ok we are back in Europe but this was not through the league placing and we're not in it proper yet. Hughes struggled against the better sides, the 7 teams above us he didn't beat once. The football in my view was never that great and he made 2 decent signings in Dembele (lets see second season before a proper review) and Sidwell - on pretty much a free. Salcido was and is awful and has to be shipped out. He took over a good solid team that was unfortunate to lose Zamora so early. Who knows what could have happened if he hung around for the duration. However when you listened to Hughes pre and post game I struggled to see the passion. Its like he wasn't interested. hardly acknowledged the fans during the games the list goes on. He brought in a large expensive back room squad to boot as well. I maintain he'll end up at Chelsea in some capacity and good luck to him but if he joins the likes of a Villa, Sunderland, Stoke - no disrespect to all - it will cut deep. Many feel perhaps he wasn't given the cash he wanted or felt let down but many Fulhamish managers know the score when they come in to manage the club. Ok so he activated the clause in his contract but to do what....that will come.

The parting comments annoyed me the most and I felt they were not required in the circumstances.

19. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

One interesting thing to note Cravens.

Hughes has not said anything about our fans or the club since he has left. When Roy left to join Liverpool he praised the fans and the club to such an extent that it must have been a wrench to leave. Hughes has said nothing, only to bleat on about the future, ignoring the past year.

20. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Thats cos Roy is a true gent