1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Potentially Big Blunder by Hughes

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by RobespierreFFC, Jun 3, 2011.

1. RobespierreFFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13636404.stm

Morning folks, my misery of yesterday has somewhat been eradicated by hearing this and now feeling more optimistic. Essentially, it is suggested that Hughes has scored an own goal by resigning given he might not be villa's no.1 target. Instead his resignation is in pat murphy's words a 'come and get me plea.'

Best case scenario: he doesn't get the villa job, no other better jobs become available this summer and either ends up replacing a manager when their team becomes threatened with relegation, or even better he ends spending the whole season unemployed. Bet he'd wish he could go back to 'little' Fulham now.

2. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Hughes sees himself as a big-time manager, but if he stayed at Fulham he'd always be in Roy Hodgson's shadow. But I think you're right, I think he'll come to regret this decision.

3. Cottagecravens

He's no big time manager. What's he done except walk out on clubs? Man City excluded.

4. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Shades of Roy - Je ne regrette pas, not much! Hope lightning relly does strike twice.

5. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Rumour is that Randy Lerner does not approve of the way Hughes has handled this and has been put off.

Excellent news for everyone with any class in football.

6. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Conspiracy Theories :)

1.Could it be that he may go back to Blackburn...with all the money the Chicken barons will splash?

2.Could it be that Redknapp slagging off the Spurs support and coming tax court appearance...that Hughes is being lined up ?

3.Could it be that Bahti is taking over Fulham and Hughes jumped ship as he didn't want a new owner senario.

what ever happens lets hope that he falls on his arse, and is sacked halfway through the season aka Hodgson, the grass is not always greener.

7. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Some left field theories there Bri, well thunk!

8. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

Or maybe Hughes sees himself as a candidate for the Chelsea job. I do hope he lives to regret leaving though, given the lack of respect he's shown the club.

9. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Bad news is that our manager's gone. Good news is that our next manager won't Sam Allardyce, who will be busy for the next year turning West Ham into a dirty, ugly football team.

10. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

Hughes had a contract for one year and chose to leave, which was his right. He didn't quit midway through a contract and he has also said he hasn't been in contact with other clubs. If he doesn't get a job in the next month you'd have to assume he was telling the truth. I wish more managers were like Hughes and stuck to the contracts they signed.

Also, weren't Fulham fans calling for his sacking in January? I mean, come on!

11. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

Hughes showed no signs that he intended leaving us until this week. He was apparently trying to sign new players and making plans for pre-season with the Europa League games. The option was there of extending his contract for another year and I think he certainly would have signed it had these jobs not become available.

12. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

lets be honest, sparky used fulham as a stepping stone, nothing wrong with that, he fulfulled his side of the bargain by getting fulham to 8th in the table and your in europe again. he wouldnt have resigned if he didnt believe he could get a job at a bigger club. he overachieved with wales, he overachieved with both blackburn and fulham, and at man city he was 5th when they sacked him, guess where they finished at the end of the season.

how on earth can you expect loyalty from sparky when i'd imagine quite a few of you fans would have been calling for his head when you were in the bottom half of the table, a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

13. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

lets be honest, sparky used fulham as a stepping stone, nothing wrong with that, he fulfulled his side of the bargain by getting fulham to 8th in the table and your in europe again. he wouldnt have resigned if he didnt believe he could get a job at a bigger club. he overachieved with wales, he overachieved with both blackburn and fulham, and at man city he was 5th when they sacked him, guess where they finished at the end of the season.

how on earth can you expect loyalty from sparky when i'd imagine quite a few of you fans would have been calling for his head when you were in the bottom half of the table, a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

It's the way it's been handled. A month ago he was saying in the press how happy he was at Fulham, and now he's decided we're not good enough for him. Whether he's had contact with another club is neither here nor there, he obviously wants the Villa or Chelsea post, although chances are he'll end up jobless with a Fulham-shaped plate of egg on his face. Lets see where his "ambition" gets him then.

Fulham fans were calling for his head after losing at home to West Ham and lying 18th in the table - fairly reasonable, I feel. Although many of these fans sucked it up and commended Hughes on a job well done at the end of the season and were happy for him to stay and build a legacy. So that point is pretty moot.

15. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Ok Hughes has not done this in the best way but look, we will get another manager, we will move on from this, we are Fulham

COYW..

16. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed, WDWW.

17. Cottagecravens

and what team are you Swamp? To come on here an post such. Reveal yourself.

18. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

cardiff city

mark hughes is welsh, so am i, i follow the careers of welsh players / managers.

19. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

swamp.
    Is there such things as careers of welsh players/managers

20. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Explains the bias. Shouldn't you be discussing who takes your manager's position rather than sticking your oar in over here?