1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey sign Matt Clarke

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, May 20, 2016.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Ipswich are set to complete a deal for Adam Webster, a right footed CB. A fee believed to be about 400k will be paid and Matt Clarke will be moving as part of the deal.
    I like the sound of this lad but very sad to see Clarke go, would have liked both!

2. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Don't know too much about either tbh not seen Clarke play enough and not seen Webster play at all.....

Clarke does look a little snotty to me...

3. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

does the poor lad have a cold ?

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

He always looks like he has...<laugh>

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I like the look of this move. Webster had a good season at Pompey, he's highly-rated, and he's represented England at U17 and U19 levels. And apparently he can fill out at right-back too. Players like Webster are precisely the type of player we should be signing; young, promising players from the lower divisions. Hopefully this is an indication that we're moving away from the 'signing has-beens and cast-offs on freebies' approach and willing to spend a bit of cash.

Shame to see Clarke depart, but he couldn't break into our team and if it meant paving the way for a more reliable first-team regular, then fair enough. Hopefully we can get Jack Payne on a free signing, and continue to look ahead.

I do wonder if the Webster deal is a sign that Berra is leaving? I think Westy mentioned it elsewhere, but apparently he is linked with a host of clubs in Scotland and wants to move home?

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Hopefully this deal gets done and Berra moves on.

7. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I agree, ticks all the right boxes, and hopefully Berra can bugger off - I think he has been very overrated, prefer Smith all day long.

San Diego likes this.
  8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

All for this Webster is an absolute baller and from a Pompey friend of mine head and shoulders better than Clarke at the minute.

That said, if they're getting Clarke on a free and we're paying such a fee I can't help but think they're getting a good deal too.

Now we've all had views on Mick without ££££ - I think he's done a very good job without it. However, it appears this summer he's going to get the chance to spend some. If it's going to be spent on players like this, then keep it coming please.

Two wide boys with talent desperately needed. Good start should this go through.

Stretchy - that's harsh mate Berra bar the past six/ seven months has been the absolute glue organising that defence all over the shop.

itfcptc likes this.
  9. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit harsh, but I've never been over keen on him. I know stats don't always show the full picture, but I did read somewhere that Smith has been our best defender for the past two seasons, with ease (if you take into account headers made, blocks made, interceptions, clearances...etc)

10. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I hope we are putting a sell on clause in Matt Clarke's deal., maybe a buy back/first refusal.
    Pompey are getting a young player for free that could develop into another half million asset in a couple of years.
    He'll get the playing time needed to develop.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Sounds like a decent deal, although i don't know too much about either

Very harsh on Berra up until the past 5/6 months Berra has been the best CB we've had in years!! & he doesn't become a bad player overnight

Westlake33 likes this.
  12. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I agree that Berra has been the best centre half we've had (since probably Mogga).. Though I think he has struggled (and therefore so has the team) this season as he hasn't been able to replicate his imperious form from the previous season.

I still think he's a good player, but it's obvious to freshen up the team, particularly with our debilitating back four who struggle in posession and offer nothing when we have the ball. At 31 he is the oldest centre half (and probably the slowest) we have and it looks like we will be having to choose Between him & Smith at left sided centre half then Tommy Smith (5 years younger) would be the obvious long term choice.

Add in the fact that he is likely to be one of our top earners, if we are to offload then he would be the most logical player to go. I'm not too sure if I can see it happening as I think fan's are jumping to conclusions but it would be a good long term decision if we were to start planning for life without him.

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Think Berra has lost a little interest tbh.....but I would prioritise replacing Murph ahead of replacing Berra tbh....

...we should have cashed in on Murph after his unbelievable season last year.......but that is presuming the funds would be used to replace him.

14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

They wouldn't!
    De Vos was a pretty decent CB and I always thought McCauley was underrated.

itfcptc likes this.
  15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Agreed they wouldn't....

As For Shandypants McAuley I never rated him I thought he lacked commitment and just went through the motions.................

16. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

MacAuley was a case of many didn't realise what we had until he was gone after he got over the early bad start. I remember when we were for once doing well under Jewell, he was out injured for two months or so around christmas and we didn't win a single game. A very good defender often surrounded by absolute rubbish. In no way surprised he's cemented a premier league spot the past few seasons.

Delaney is more of a surprise to me. Keane hilariously played him at LB but I didn't think he was every that good at CB. I really am surprised he's gone on to be a regular at Palace, but fair play to the lad.

itfcptc likes this.
  17. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Delaney, MacAuley, Wickham, Rhodes, and probably a few others I've forgotten have all gone on to better things once they got out of PR but I think it has more to do the management they were under rather than the Club itself, as for funds I think Mings and Cresswell cost about £250,000 between them and raised a cool £12M or thereabouts when sold, that's good business in anyone's book but we're the funds made available?

18. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Rhodes has gone on to better things yet really....he could bomb in the PL.....

Agree with the others and would add Walters to the list.

19. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Walters is a good shout Weighty I knew Id forgotten one, it makes me wonder what sort of team we could have had at PR but for the piss poor management we had at the time, it still makes me angry.

20. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Leadbitter was another marmite player who I didn't think was as bad as some would have you believe.