1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Has the retirement age gone up again?
    With life expectancy now dropping for the first time in a long time, maybe the plan is for everyone to die before they qualify for it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...titute-and-faculty-of-actuaries-a7661571.html

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  2. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I'm not actually against retiring later (says the early retirer) but the way it's being done will create an increasing problem in areas where working 'till you're 68 is bonkers. The cliched examples are those jobs where a degree of physical fitness/strength are required. With so many more expected to work longer those (physically) easy desk jobs are going to be under a little pressure.

Some joined up thinking would be really nice someday.

3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

The "projection rate" is what has dropped. Actual figures have not dropped, they have stalled. This is a projection based on the actual figures not continuing to rise and predicting a drop from actual figures in the future.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

No way can I be a PT until I am 68 <laugh>

ImpSaint and greensaint like this.
  5. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Don't worry, pensions won't exist any more by the time we get there.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Missing Lambo likes this.
  7. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

This is a cruel attack on the poor woman. We can all make mistakes. It's outrageous that someone who wants to see an end to silly name calling should stoop as low as this, FLT.

Oh all right, it's bloody funny. You have my sympathies having this woman as an MP :emoticon-0105-wink:

Starts to get really worrying when you think she is a member of the government. :emoticon-0120-doh:

fatletiss likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Who on here is going to become one of our greatest living authors? Fran?

9. The Ides of March

It is not going to be provided by the present Government any time soon as they cannot even agree on provisions to provide at a Cabinet meeting, let alone a Brexit strategy. As Heseltine said, "they're making it up on the hoof."

greensaint likes this.
  10. ImpSaint

There was someone (educated) on the BBC banging on about how there should be a memorial statue of Jane Austen the other day and of course the news presenters agreed it was a travesty there was no memorial to one of our greatest authors in this country. An hour later I watched a program on cathedrals on the BBC and they mentioned the 3 memorials and burial gravestone in Winchester cathedral.

I think the segment was supposed to be about the first "statue" however within seconds they were banging on about there being no memorials to her in Britain.

11. The Ides of March

We need one for Ben Elton at some time in the future. Good comedian, writer, author. And an under-rated novelist.

ImpSaint and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's quite comical how much you detest the BBC Imps, you could've said "on TV", but no it had to have been on the Beeb!...<laugh>

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  13. fatletiss

I drove passed Jane Austen's house today - it's a couple of hundred yards from my Dad's house.

ImpSaint likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I don't think it's her house anymore Fats.

15. ImpSaint

Of course it was the Beeb. I have BBC News on all day so it must have been and at night I only watch BBC4 or occasionally BBC2 if something decent is on.

Doesn't mean I agree with them but what other choice is there when of all my hundred or whatever "free" channels there only 2 and a half with anything worth watching on them? I'm not counting yesterdayTV because that's just old BBC programs anyway.

I do however sometimes just not bother with TV at all and just get some music on instead :)

I don't "detest" the BBC. I "detest" the opinion presented as fact by a lot of it's superstar wannabe current affairs and news presenters. I just wish they would interview people properly instead of constantly interrupting and actually try and really do "fact checking" instead of taking every economists "projection" as being fact even if they have a history of not getting their forecasts right.

The LSE has a lot to answer for.

They could also put Peter Kellner out of work and just stick to using John Curtice who gets things right rather than Kellner who is just determined to promote (and defend) YouGov.

16. fatletiss

Well the lying bastards need to change the sign that says "Jane Austen's House" on it... misleading that is :)

And of course, listening avidly to my local mp, I assumed she was still "Living"

ImpSaint and Archers Road like this.
  17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

It is the BBC's function, within political news, to challenge any opinion. You only notice their challenging right-wing opinion, but they give all political sectors a hard time. You might have noticed who is in power at the moment, so they get the hardest challenge, as the questions and answers carry real weight, rather than being academic. As the public broadcaster it is their duty to represent the public conscience. It's something that most people, including you, take very much for granted.

18. TheSecondStain

While going off to look at some MLT's tweets, I happened to notice this retweet. It helps along the usual perception that there are the haves and the have-nots, and that some politicians will do their own personal damnedest to make sure it stays that way:

upload_2017-7-23_18-50-5.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Is "Blunt" rhyming slang for his real name by any chance?

ImpSaint likes this.
  20. TheSecondStain

Sadly not, but in his case perhaps it should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Shandy_top_89