1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

To say I am being disingenuous implies that I actually know what I am talking about, and am trying to deliberately pull the wool over people's eyes.
    I am only repeating something, that has oft been stated, including on Question Time, without it being challenged as being inaccurate.
    This is why, in an earlier post, I said that I would like a truly independent body to outlay the pros and cons, of staying in the EU, as there are already too many, for want of a better phrase, urban myths regarding how things work/are, causing confusion.
    I bow to your superior knowledge, with regards to this, which highlights why this is a good thread - I have learnt something I didn't know.

Onionman likes this.
  2. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Ok, break it up you two.......oh.
    Well, carry on then.

3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Thank you for that......The saints Forum has a good reputation throughout not 606. They also know that it doesn't pay to step over our guide lines. As we are proud of the way we are allowed to debate without the insulting that is so prevalent on other boards. Also nice to see another lady poster. We are always interested in the fairer half point of view on footy matters. Just ask Fran........now I've gone and done it.<laugh>

4. Beddy

Bloody hell st g I agree yet again on most of what you say here. It's gotta be some sort of record!! I'm still a don't know though.......

5. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

People say leaving the EU will stop us wasting money, but I am sure it could be wasted just as readily by people in the power in this country...I think an out vote would hurt research, science and academia (funding grants etc.), possibly farming too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    The Ides of March likes this.
  6. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

I'm In.

Until and unless the Outs show that the benefits of leaving outweigh the drawbacks.

Whiteley Saint and Lff like this.
  7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Every single phone survey to-date - asking people how they plan to vote - has revealed more 'remain' voters than 'leave' voters.

Either there's a lot of passive/quiet 'remain' voters (which I suspect is the case), or a lot of people who want to leave the EU don't have telephones. :)

please log in to view this image

8. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Don't like all the rabble in the commons but that was funny.

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I think in the main people don't like change and only do so when pushed.
    A few people do pay attention to UKIP about the issues of being in Europe, but ultimately I don't suspect anyone has had their personal lives adversely effected by our EU membership and most of us take the advantages we've gained from being an EU member for granted.

I have not made my personal decision yet and will try and take in all the evidence I can and hope my bullshit filter serves me proud. Currently if the vote was tomorrow, I would remain....I don't like change!

The Ides of March likes this.
  10. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Me and "good reputation" is an oxymoron.

I have always had a reputation but it has never been good.

11. Beddy

Like all things st g there is always exceptions.......some we like talking about others we don't. <laugh>

12. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I started getting insulted at the "half point of view on footy matters" (women can know and love football as much as men, you know etc etc) then realised it was "fairer half". :D :D

13. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

The immigration issue apart, I don't think that any of the other things you mention should be affected. But therein lies the problem, we actually have no way of knowing what the outcome would be should we vote to leave.

As for immigration, we are pretty much a nation of immigrants so immigrants themselves aren't the issue. The problem is one of benefits. Many people come here willing and able to work but some don't. Even those who do are entitled to maternity leave, for example.

I was talking with a Pole recently, a very nice and conscientious chap I should add, and I asked him why he thought so many east Europeans choose to come to England. He said, well you like a drink; imagine you are walking down a road with 6 pubs in it. One of the pubs is offering free beer. Which one are you going to choose?

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Add to this, the biggest selling national newspapers in order are: The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Mirror. The people reading these intellectual sources of information will have a great affect on the result. This is why I really don't like the idea of the referendum.

I rarely show my political hand, however I do have a concern on what the effects on my job could be should we vote "out."

15. fatletiss

He even used to drive to Dover, go round the roundabout and then drive back, to make out he was importing.

16. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

But.. but he is British through and through! So it's ok...

17. fatletiss

Archers Road likes this.
  18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

19. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Spot on!!

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

There are some 1,300 UK students that partake in the Erasmus program. An out vote would take that away from many of our brightest youngsters.