1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

May is crashing and burning with every interview, whereas Jeremy is gaining strength and confidence,

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well I guess that has finally ticked the last box. I've read each manifesto. You know I'm still in mourning for the EU vote [it still rankles with me incredibly how a voting population can be so easily duped, and how only a shade over half of the voting public can have such damming sway over the rest], but with the LibDems at 10% there's no chance of another vote on it. So I go with Jeremy, which is where much of my voting heart lies anyway. I'm comfortable with it.

3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

That poll was taken before the Manchester attack and May will have gained a little "just for appearing Prime Ministerial" however Corbyn has been doing very well indeed.......................although his speech tomorrow is going to change all that. Unless he changes it from what has been suggested he is going to say I think he is going to score a massive own goal. All in the timing.

Too much confidence if tomorrow's speech is the one the ITKs have been advised of!!! It might be a Kinnock moment. So near but then "Oops."

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. ImpSaint

What are you on about pinning it on Muslim Terrorism? The intelligence leaks are coming from his own staff? I think the US ( and seemingly half of the world) has their own Trump version of "everything is Brexit's fault."

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Impossible, I would say, to predict what effect Manchester might have on voting intentions.

But I know people in London - almost everyone I talk to - are very dubious about seeing armed forces on the street, doing a job the police should be doing.

Soldiers are not police; they are not trained to look out for suspicious behaviour among the general public, & their presence is not particularly reassuring. They are trained - in the words of my ex para son - "to **** things up". Not necessarily a great move from a PM who, as home secretary, reduced police numbers.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Funny that we're even taken any notice of the pollls. Have we learnt from recent events that the polls don't mean a lot?

By the way. We did a poll in our house and 25% of people think I'm cool. 25% abstained and 25% weren't in when the vote took place. Does that mean half the voters say I'm cool?

davecg69 and ImpSaint like this.
  7. Archers Road

You voted for yourself, right?

8. fatletiss

All votes are confidential, so we don't know how people voted.

I'll tell you one bit though... it wasn't the wife, she was out.

Archers Road likes this.
  9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

You could look cool in a Spurs shirt!! :1980_boogie_down:

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

ImpSaint likes this.

11. Archers Road

No you couldn't

The Ides of March and fatletiss like this.
  12. fatletiss

I thought we had a no abuse policy!!! That's almost torture!

The Ides of March likes this.
  13. ImpSaint

You can take notice of the polls on the left. You just can;t trust the figures for the right. I doubt there are many (if any) "shy" Labour/Corbyn voters. I suspect the gap in reality is more than 5% probably increase that to 9% ish allowing for the "shy" voters. And that is if the poll is accurate and Corbyn hasn;t made his badly timed speech yet.

For what it's worth I think his speech (with the content that has been suggested) has a lot of hard truths in it. Just that those hard truths are not best timed straight after this attack.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

What is this speech you keep talking about?

15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

He's going to make a speech saying there's a link between terror attacks and U.K. foreign policy. Not sure this is the best timing and he's not saying the attack happened because of Iraq etc so I'm not really sure what point he's trying to make.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40053427

16. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

So what is so bad in what he is saying here?...

"But the responsibility of government is to minimise that chance - to ensure the police have the resources they need, that our foreign policy reduces rather than increases the threat to this country, and that at home we never surrender the freedoms we have won and that terrorists are so determined to take away."

San Tejón and Archers Road like this.
  17. ImpSaint

It is more about the timing.

18. Saints_Alive

It's perfect timing because he is setting out how he intends to tackle terrorism.

Edit Plus the right wing media want to betray him as being soft on that subject

19. ImpSaint

Right Wing media? Top story on all the screen media and his own party are not happy with it either. BBC right wing? CH4 right wing?

Gary Gibbon (political editor) on CH4 news last night was looking decidedly uneasy about it, when he was reporting what was going to be said, and CH4 of all the stations is the most likely to normally take the left wing/left centre side.

Whether the content is right or not, at a time close to the election when he is looking like he is getting closer to the Tories it isn't sensible to make a controversial speech that some (maybe many) will find insensitive or disagree with. He has said this before in the past, no need to say it again at this point in time.

BobbyD likes this.
  20. Saints_Alive

The BBC report is not commenting on whether he is right or wrong, it's just a news report.

Time will tell whether it will affect his popularity, there are probably many that agree with him, I mean Tony Blair wasn't exactly popular after taking us to war in Iraq was he?

Archers Road likes this.