1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> They do you know!

Velcro Roy and ImpSaint like this.
  2. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

I'm a northerner bred but not born ;) (al)though I can't call me 'sen a yellabelly because up 'ere I'm nobbut a suvner.

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I think Jeremy Hunt might be as well, only he probably thinks it's a documentary, showing how much time doctors and nurses have to stand around talking to each other/patients. Likewise Casualty.
    My wife also watches these programmes, but they just make me "angry", as they clearly don't depict how a hospital runs.
    The last hospital programme I actually enjoyed watching was Code Black, on W.
    Set in an American hospital with proper ER issues.

ImpSaint likes this.
  4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Green Wing is probably closer to how an NHS hospital runs than Holby City or Casualty, particularly the portrayal of senior managers.

5. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

To get the real perspective of British north and south you should drive from Inverness to Southampton. After 3 hours driving south you get to Glasgow and you start to get the feeling you're leaving the north behind. Another hour you're in the Scottish lowlands where the poncy posh southerners live. Into England, countryside is quite rugged but you know you're south of the Scottish softies. Another couple of hours, all south and you're in to the tough Imp like "northerners" territory! It's like the bloody French Riviera in Lincoln!

ImpSaint likes this.
  6. ImpSaint

The map in this article is quite amusing (excusing the casual "xenophobic" tones) as well as the use of "duck" instead of mate or love. Lincolnshire also use duck and used to use chav before it became derogatory. Not sexist though. duck and chav are not gender specific

http://www.impactnottingham.com/201...t-living-in-nottingham-if-youre-a-southerner/

please log in to view this image

On a more serious note I was told Southerners are south of the Pennines. Northerners are East, West and North of the Pennines.

The traditional divide was meant to be from the Severn Estuary to the wash I think. Which includes Nottingham. While Nottingham folks might like to argue they are midlanders you can't have the best of both worlds and it is a North/South divide with no midlands in there at all :)

Ignoring Melvyn Bragg's madness and all these ideas of the Humber to the Dee being the divide between North and South (Sheffield not in the North!!! Nope, sorry) This line in this article thinks along my lines. Nottingham is defo in the North not the South. If they want to go on about Midlanders they are all just [insert derogatory term you aren;t allowed to use these days] and in denial :) I personally see Nottingham as Northern. They have a Northern accent so they must be Northern.

"In a poll in Nottingham this week, not only did the vast majority of respondents consider the city to be northern – only ten per cent believed the city to be outside the North."

So your friend has been outvoted by his own lot. He's one of the 10% of [insert that word again] deniers. The commenters seem to agree with him though.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/8203-...9716036-detail/story.html#8Y6HDTg3tWXxvwsu.99

The Pennine cycleway............starts in..............wait for it..............Derby (which is lower than Nottingham.) So they're in the North :)

7. SaintinSerbia

Cornwall is where the poor people holiday? you need to take out a mortgage to buy a pasty there! I blame martin Clunes!

Saint Helen and ImpSaint like this.
  8. SaintinSerbia

9. ImpSaint

Never been there so don't know. Rarely travel to the South these days. I only go to the border (Nottingham) if I am going downwards :)

10. SaintinSerbia

of course it's all reversed in Serbia, I live in the softy north (close to the EU) and the gritty northerners live in the south (close to Albania) :)

ImpSaint likes this.

11. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

By the way, this is the Politics Thread.

12. SaintinSerbia

there's more to politics than vote Labour or Conservative! (in fact I'm amazed that a more light hearted approach to the thread would be disapproved of!)

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Not sure of your point SiS. I'm not disapproving, I'm just saying that the conversation seems to have veered quite a long way from anything to do with politics of any description!

14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

And on that note, and without wishing to appear callous, what impact on the election will the Manchester bombing have?

Will it having happened on the Tories watch, go against them?
    Or, has this actually helped them, as no one is now talking about weak and wobbly Theresa and her uncosted manifesto?
    Will Labour's momentum now stall?

15. SaintinSerbia

probably not because Labour want to increase the Police force but I'm sure it will be spun somehow different

16. ImpSaint

Because the North South divide (according to Danny Dorling of the University of Sheffield) now puts Nottingham in the North, Lincoln in the South and Coventry in the North too!! His new North South line takes into account the economies and voting intentions of each area.

In his words: "Lincolnshire has moved from north to south due to affluent southerners retiring to places like Gainsborough, Boston, Grantham and Lincoln."

You'll all have to hope that affluent Northerners don't retire to Winchester and Southampton or you'll end up being North then.

Also the government hasn;t worked out where the North is yet so we are giving them a helping hand:

please log in to view this image

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...the-north-of-england-the-government-isnt-sure

17. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Can I just settle this once and for all? North is anywhere north of Winchester. It's a well known fact in Southampton. :)

ImpSaint and Archers Road like this.
  18. ImpSaint

To be perfectly honest I am 42 lived in Lincoln most of my life and never heard anyone refer to themselves as a Midlander before from this are. Midlander to me is Brummies.

Is it a younger generation thing of Leicester/Nottingham declaring they are Midlanders not Northerners? BEcause they are and always have been Northerners to me and everybody I know in Lincoln is proud to be a Northerner. Sounds like people who find some shame in being a Northerner want their own different title TBH.

The region might be classed as East Midlands but I have never known anyone refer to Lincolnshire as being in the East Midlanders and at least at my age group Lincoln people are Northerners and proud (despite any lines that Mr Dorling wants to alter.)

Maybe Leicester and Nottingham people are all part of that mad group that want to reform Mercia? I'll not be voting for that one.

19. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Gotta love this ****. The GOP candidate literally the day before an election attacked a Guardian reporter, body slamming him to the ground and punching him.

"The professor also suggests it might appeal to some Republican voters who became accustomed to strong rhetoric against journalists during President Donald Trump's campaign."

The professor is not wrong. Tell me again why I should feel bad for calling a bunch of ****ing assholes, ****ing assholes.

Archers Road likes this.
  20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I think you're taking all this regional stuff a bit too seriously Imps.

Everyone knows London is the only civilised part of the British Isles, and most of the rest is full of backwards savages. It's been that way since Roman times.

ImpSaint likes this.