1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I would be really interested to know who the people on here consider when they decide to vote: Do you think what is best for you, what you think is best for the country or what is best for the younger generations, would be really insightful :).

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

The less well off and sick and disabled.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

When I wrote about him on this thread many pages ago and you replied. Is he Tom's MP as well? What chance Labour getting Itchen back? Really hope Whitehead is returned in Southampton Test.

OddRiverOakWizards and Beef like this.
  4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He's utter dick head. All I hope is he gets kicked out.

5. The Ides of March

Receivecd mu ballot paper today for the Fareham constituency. There are five candidates. Tory, Labour, Lib Dems, Green and UKIP. Tories usually get well over 50% of votes here, and last time out UKIP came 2nd!! Fareham is not really that progressive in its thinking so no chance of any other party winnng. So its either Labout or the Greens for me.

ImpSaint and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  6. The Ides of March

Hopefully enough people think like you. If there are enough University students registered to vote, and Jeremy's manifesto promises to abolish tuition fees, could Labour pull it off?

7. The Ides of March

May could be suffering as the rest of her cabinet do not seem to really be rallying around her, especially the likes of Boris Johnson and his woeful performance at the Sikh temple. Maybe that could be the defining moment. Her cabinet has lacked any direction and intellect from the outset.

8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

When we are talking about a North/South divide then you are either Northern or Southerner. No-one talks about East Midlanders or West Midlanders or even Midlanders or East Anglian(er).

You are either a scummy Northerner or a Southern Softie.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

I don't vote (and never will).

I'm of the opinion that none of them give a **** about the standard working person working long hours in a **** job struggling to make ends meet.

All about money and power, no matter who you vote for, it's the government that get in. I feel like I'd be voting for who I want to bend me over.

I've got enough things to worry about in life than to spend time worrying about something I have next to no control over :)

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Saints Fan4Life and ImpSaint like this.
  10. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Corbyn is starting to remind me of Trump. His crowds are getting bigger and bigger. Another week of this and I might be putting some money on him while he is still at 10s

11. The Ides of March

There is one essential difference. Corbyn has a brain, something that the Good Lord denied Donald Trump accordiing to the Good Lord Himself.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

People - most people - don't think like Beefy. As individuals they may be very compassionate, they may give to charity, they may actively help those less fortunate than themselves. But in the polling booth most people vote for what they consider to be their own best interests. That's one reason why polls are weighted - to take account of the number of people who are embarrassed to admit who they intend voting for.

ImpSaint likes this.
  13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

They do in the Midlands.

Ides is right about Nottingham - they are a unique bunch from there. Try calling them northerners (or southerners) - they'll soon put you right.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  14. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Without wishing to sound supercilious, most elections (i.e. after another Tory win) I remind myself of the words of Neil Kinnock when he said he wasn't sorry for himself, as he was fortunate in his personal circumstances. If the Tories do get the expected result on June 8 I will feel for those with **** lives. I do understand the point made, that if you vote the government always wins, but after seeing umpteen elections where the difference is marginal, I do think this time there is a major difference. If Labour could pull off the shock of all electoral shocks, it could change the political direction of the UK. Back to the 70's? I'd have a bit of the liberal consensus that existed then, before Thatcher pushed us to the right and sold off the family silver to fund her mates. If Corbyn wins, make no mistake. There might be the occasional shambolic episode, but it would become a better country to live in for the very people that Beefy mentions. Had a bad day at Foodbank yesterday and feeling grouchy about the state of the nation, so forgive my rant!

15. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

When I posted this I hadn't heard this morning's news. Makes everything else pale. My granddaughters were at a similar gig in Liverpool only last week. Horrific. So many people's lives changed forever.

ImpSaint likes this.
  16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Nothing like trying to buy votes is there? Can't see how they'd afford it, but it's a clever tactic to go after the student vote. I'd rather they spent the money on the NHS (direct spending and not admin) as most of those students won't ever pay back the whole amount anyway.
    I'm very sceptical of both major parties - I don't like the way the super-rich seem to get away with things but at the same time I remember when the country was at the mercy of the idiotic ultra left running the unions. So I'm still undecided .....

ImpSaint likes this.
  17. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I vote Plaid Cymru although, not surprisingly, Labour always get in in this part of the world.

18. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Cymru am byth, eh, Helen? :emoticon-0103-cool:

19. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely :emoticon-0109-kiss:

20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Union power is virtually non existent these days, so I don't think the public has much to fear there.
    With regard to unions, although some were too powerful and abused their roles, I prefer to remember them as being the catalyst for improving working conditions and pay that allowed many of us older ones to live in relative comfort, then and now.
    Unless things change I don't see my grandchildren having that same level of comfort, because we have moved too far in the opposite direction.