1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

I am not saying it is doing well. I am saying it is doing well compared to other Western democracies. The world isn't doing too well and if everybody isn't doing too well then it is much harder to achieve good growth.

My point is that we have done better than virtually all Western democracies since the crash in terms of growth. Germany is still talked about as "the pinnacle" yet we have outperformed them growthwise and if the forecasts are right they will only match us in 2018 and not this year either.

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Not much point outperforming other economies if only the already wealthy are benefitting, which appears to be the case at the moment.

Stagnating wages, rising house prices, & now a falling pound pushing up inflation.

We have nurses forced to use food banks, we have libraries and swimming pools closing, schools laying off teachers. We have a workforce more insecure and worse paid after 7 years of this very slowly growing GDP, so who is the economy serving?

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

And if the Tories get back in, the amount spent on the NHS will drop to 6.7% of the GDP, currently around 8%. That would mean we spend less on the health of our population than any other developed country in the world. Shameful.

Saints_Alive and Archers Road like this.
  4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The only Tory worth supporting is Ken Clarke. If they heed the advice of Heseltine, Clarke, Major and even Hague whose advice are the listening to? Ah, Rupert Murdoch and the fascist sympathisers of the Daily Express!!

7. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

As TheSecondStain notes, yes, that's it.

Bloody crazy reason to elect someone but thats how it's panning out.

Q What are the Tories going to do about housing for working people
    A Strong and Stable leadership is what is required

Q How will the Tories protect the vunerable members of society
    A Through Strong and Stable leadership

Q How will we win the Eurovision song contest and find a killer partner for Gabbiadini
    A By using Strong and Stable leadership

Even the media are taking the pish of the "catchphrase" now but with Labour faffing around, Ukip playing favourite racist and the Lib-Dems worrying if slightly homophobic is ok we are doomed to an elitist party rogering us big time.

8. TheSecondStain

Tbh, Greensaint, I am trying to get my head round to voting for Corbyn's Labour Party. There's no way I can vote Tory. They are not even remotely on the radar. It's between the Liberals, Labour and maybe even the Greens, whoever is the strongest candidate in my constituency to see off a Tory [which isn't going to happen in Romsey and Southampton North]. We can but try.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

There was a nice "Tories Out" march through Southampton city centre today and nobody was throwing eggs at them thank God!

10. Saints_Alive

It'll have to be Labour for me as I can't see the Liberals challenging the Tories in Southampton Test.

11. TheSecondStain

Indeed. I think Alan Whitehead is a good 'un to vote for anyway.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I don't like negative politics whichever way they go. People should march for Whoever In

13. Saints_Alive

But they were shouting their reasons for it, mainly saving the NHS, schools and other public services, so in a way they were shouting for a different direction for the country.

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting the motive, just my personal preference would be for it to be presented positively rather than a negative campaign. It can be done.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You don't have to vote for Corbyn's Labour Party. You can research the values and personal manifesto of your local candidates, and vote for whichever of those candidates most closely reflects your own outlook and interests, and will best represent your constituency in Parliament.

I won't be voting for Jeremy Corbyn on 8th June (although if I lived in his constituency I probably would). But I will be voting for Labour MP Catherine West, who lists Funding for Schools, opposing the hardest of Brexits, Housing for Working People, and Protection for Refugees (particularly child refugees) among her priorities.

16. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Mrs May has less charisma than John Major. :emoticon-0113-sleep
    Jeremy Corbyn comes across as a man who is too decent and too honest to be a politician. If he had a more forceful persona, I don't think the election would have been risked.
    He has been putting forward a lot of good ideas, for the lower paid and working class, and I fully expect the Tories to hijack a few of them, claim them as their own, but deliver a watered down version that benefits no one in real terms.
    And isn't it time the Tories stopped harping on about how they "inherited a bankrupt country from the Labour Party" and finally admit that the problem was caused by the global banking failure.
    I can't remember his name, but I am sure I have read that the advisor to Gideon Osborne is on record as saying that the Labour Party was not at fault, so why continue with the lie.

17. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

I didn't see it but I very much doubt "they" could!

18. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Just seen this posted on Facebook, from 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...sible-crash-bank-england-governor-mervyn-king

19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it as a pretty reliable Tory voter for 30 years, I think you are right. She ain't no Maggie ;)

20. TheSecondStain

No, I quite understand that Archers, but that's how the Labour Party are being portrayed and that's the choice people are making. My eldest brother asked me earlier this evening how I could vote for a party that would give up our nuclear deterrent option [Corbyn's values]. Well, I find that I can, as it doesn't want to give up on governing for the vast majority of its people. Besides, Germany have done well enough, without a nuclear deterrent, I would suggest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)

1. Gregm1988
  2. StJabbo1