1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

R-I-P to the political nonsense, knew politicians brought trouble everywhere!

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Frenchie. As I said before, we probably have too many political threads at the moment, which have overlapping material, and everything being said now is repetition for many of us. As a general principle I would not ban all political threads for now and evermore - we should be civilized enough to be able to handle them. Also, can you define what is political ? For some it is a straightforward party political thing - for others it is much wider than that. Football can be 'political' - if I say that I do not like the Premier League, or the Champions League then it can lead on to politics. Isn't the widening gulf between rich clubs and the rest symbolic of our society as a whole ? Is the 'environment' thread political - it can also very easily become so. Even the potting shed could be political if I started rabbiting on about self sufficiency and the need to reduce Co2 emissions through reducing 'food miles'. I would certainly reduce the number because any casual visitor to our board who sees titles like 'political thread', 'effects of Brexit' and 'Trumpers' all on the first page is only going to come to one conclusion - particularly as they are all related anyway.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see what you are saying cologne and would agree with a lot of it. My feelings are that there are too many at present, all overlapping, and they have become badly used and now past their sell by date. Of course there will be topics that come up that are worthy of debate that have a political nature. The government investigating the FA has quite large consequences as an example. That in itself could be worthy of a thread, but would have a narrow line for discussion, and wouldn't become a general catch all for a poster to hijack. This would also mean that there would be more threads to catch a visitors eye, rather than the long drawn out one that goes on for weeks, which they are unlikely to read from the first post.
    As I understand it we are both in favour of locking the present threads and letting them disappear off the front page. If I have read it wrong do say as I am sure we both want to see a thriving board, which shouldn't be that difficult with our current members, and hopefully additional ones joining.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  4. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I would take all of this with a pinch of salt SH. it is hardly likely that the deputy leader would speak publicly to the BBC without discussing it with the leader first - such things don't happen in political parties. This is not to say that there is not a big difference between the views of the rank and file membership, on the one hand, and the parliamentary party on the other - but this difference has been there for a very long time.

6. superhorns

The possibility of a May general election is gaining some momentum (pun), these serious splits in the LP will ensure a Tory landslide. All May now needs is for the EU negotiators to ask for a large sum from the UK before it seriously starts the trade talks. The anti EU brigade will get a mighty boost.

7. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

ah this thread has run its course.

8. superhorns

Has politics been abolished?

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Why I am suddenly getting updates from this thread?

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  10. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

yup.
    Theresa May is gonna win everything now cos Corbyn hasnt got a scooby.

11. superhorns

The Labour Party shadow cabinet now fighting like a barrel of rats!!

12. superhorns

An early general election has now been ruled out, The LP survives a little longer.

13. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Trumpers is satire ... let it be!

14. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

Im a welsh man and I have 2 make do with what you fking stupid English people want............so its either centre right or far right for me and my family>>>>>>and I agree with neither centre right or the far right...............so fk your politics and greedy needs <ok>

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Living in Scotland, I share your pain. All I can suggest is that, if you haven't already, do what I have done - sign up to the party of your choice, get out there and get active on their behalf. It's not easy, but can work - independence in Scotland is moving ever-nearer to becoming a reality.

And it's the only way you'll escape the ravages of Tory rule.

Spurf likes this.
  16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

17. superhorns

Up to date news.

Mrs May said today, She was intent on "delivering Brexit and getting the right deal". She added last year's referendum result "was not just about leaving the EU but was a vote for a change in the way the country works"

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The reason that I posted that was to show how no one should take what a politician says one day, is what they believe, and what they will say a little later when they think it is to their advantage to say exactly the opposite. Those who believe what comes out of their mouths, often reported with a spin from biased newspapers, is living in in a strange never-land. Do your own in depth research, don't be taken in by sound bites, and you maybe wrong, but at least you will have something substantive behind your beliefs.

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

You beat me to it ofh - was on the verge of posting something similar when I saw yours.

Oh what the heck - here it is...

liar.JPG

20. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

Sorry to be naïve - I will just say this and then return to the safety of Watford news items - if I remember TM and in fact most Conservatives campaigned for Remain because that is what they believed in. The country decided otherwise. There is/was no political party for "Brexit" so it is left to the current PM to do as the country has voted - whether or not she likes it. She has to accept the verdict and implement it. Are people not a bit harsh if she then tries to defend what she has been mandated to do. I have no doubt that if the clocks could be turned back and the referendum go the other way TM would want that.
    Sorry - I will shut up.

superhorns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.