1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Players worth keeping 17/18

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

For RD "players worth keeping" means only one thing, a possible sales price, so it's really not worth discussing who to keep

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

...keep Watt Pearce Konsa Holmes Jackson Solly Maguiness Arribo ....oh and get rid of Robinson

The Kish likes this.
  3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Lewis Page had an operation yesterday and is out for the rest of the season.

It will be hard for us to reach the play offs now.

The Kish likes this.
  4. User deleted as requested

An update on this thread following yesterday's debacle.

Jackson - still get rid as a player at the end of this season. Went off after 60 min yesterday with what looked like cramp ! Says it all. Even worse, Crofts replaced him.

Crofts - came on to a few boos from the travelling support. Soon settled it to his customary midfield mediocrity however, missing tackles and misplacing passes. Get rid ASAP.

Magennis - came on. What has happened to this player !! The decline is amazing.

Watt - not fit yet again yesterday. Contributed nothing . Has got to go.

Novak - has become the target of the boo boys & rightly so IMO. No excuse for his basic lack of everything you demand of a striker, including fitness. Genuinely amazing that he has nicked a living up til now based on what we have seen of him

Bauer & Teixera - I have put them together because they sort of sum up the "Charlton problem" - a pair of social media over paid big time Billy's - nowhere near as good as they both clearly think they are. Minds elsewhere in both cases - probably at the tattoo parlour.

When Ricky Holmes doesn't play well we get beat. We must be a dream for an opposition manager.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  5. User deleted as requested

Forget Adam Chicksen, although it's not hard.

When you think back to class full backs we have had like John Humphrey, Scott Minto, Chris Solly at his peak - and then you see this anonymous little git mistiming passes galore - it makes you want to weep

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Remember when we got Richardson on a free from Leeds... perhaps Parkinson wasn't that bad after all!

People compared Richardson favourably to Hump and rightly so!

7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Even the players that Chris Powell shipped out at the end of the 2010-11 season were part of a more competitive squad than we have now.

Which of our current players would be good enough to be part of a league winning squad like the one we had in 2011-12?
    Two, as far as I'm concerned;
    Declan Rudd and Ricky Holmes.
    And it is automatic promotion we should be aiming for. Constant failure and disappointment should not allow us to accept a lesser target.

Two of the most shocking hallmarks of Duchatelet's ownership of Charlton Athletic are the Club's lack of ambition, and the willingness of some supporters to accept that lack of ambition.
    Building for a better long term future is a reasonable aspiration. But seven coaches in three seasons, humiliating relegation, season ticket sales down by two thirds and a jump of nearly £10m in losses is not building for any kind of future.

I know there will not be another wholesale clear-out like there was before our 101 point promotion season. And even if there was, the players coming in will not be of a comparable standard. I'll be surprised if we still have Rudd or Holmes come August anyway.
    Almost certainly there will be less spent in the summer than whatever is raked in from the dismantling of our failed 2016-17 campaigners.

I would expect us to have a better season than this one after the summer, but then it could hardly be worse. Perhaps we will be able to maintain a mid table position within 4 or 5 points of the top 6 for longer than we did this season (early December). To be still hoping for a play-off push by this time next season would be an improvement, but Karl Robinson (or his successor) will have to pull off a transfer window miracle even greater than Powell did in 2011 in order to undo the long term damage to our competitiveness.

Very unlikely I'm afraid. And given our recent history under RD's philosophy, extremely difficult to place any faith in.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. User deleted as requested

Agree with you @lardiman, other than I don't think we should spend money signing Rudd this summer. He was chipped off his line yesterday for their 2nd, give Dillon Phillips the gloves next season.

It's hard to believe a Championship club or two won't come calling for Ricky Holmes. I know that Chris Wilder still wants him.

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I could even see Ricky accepting a pay cut to leave if I am honest.... and I wouldn't blame him!

10. User deleted as requested

Holmes is wasting his time and career with us under the current regime. He looks frustrated and you can understand why. Newly promoted Sheff United likely to
    come calling this summer

11. CAFC'sBestInterests

[
    There has to be a serious intent to improve the squad as was the case in the Lawrence, Curbs & Powell eras, if not good players leave sooner, and that's exactly what's happened under this regime.

12. User deleted as requested

The only intent this summer will be to cut costs still further.

Goodbye to Konsa & Holmes.

13. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Roland's reaction when Robinson presents him with his list of a dozen players he wants to bring in for next season. Maybe some thing like "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah"

14. CAFC'sBestInterests

The last 6 transfer windows back this up, but could there be a possibility that he doesn't repeat the usual for the sake of making the Club more saleable.
    Am I being too optimistic.?

15. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i dont think the regime could possibly pull a good signing out of all their collective brains. even if they did, they'd have signed 10 useless lumps of sh1t to counteract it

16. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

What's more worrying is right now Driesen is seemingly our only "recognized" scout.

17. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Roland's penny pinching logic may well be- why pay a scout all year long when you can only buy players during the transfer window?

18. Crack Addick

Crack Addick Active Member

The next window will be the same as the last, and the one before that, and the one before that. The 'silver' will be sold and we'll miss out on any half decent signings, as anyone with half a football brain and an ounce of ability wouldn't be foolish enough to come to a club that is ripping itself apart.
    We'll end up scraping the barrel for below-average mercenaries on above average wages, with the RJ mentality of 'if you don't like it f-off.'
    The most harrowing thought for me, is that under this regime, this is the best squad we are going to have.

19. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

They've signed quite a few good players, Gudmundsson, Holmes, Magennis etc. It's the fact that sign 6 ****e players for every good one

20. Crack Addick

Crack Addick Active Member

And good players don't stick around for long!!