1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player of the season

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulham COYW, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

It must surely be the time to start thinking of player of the season. There's many that are in with a shout but my votes going to Aaron Hughes this time round (with Hangeland a close second)

Aaron Hughes rarely gets a mention but he must be our most consistent player.

What do you all think ?

2. rocky57

rocky57 Member

A good shout FCOYW. Like Baird, he quietly does a great job.

3. valjing

valjing Member

For me the player of the season is Clint Dempsey.
    ( sorry to dissapoint you rocky::: you thought I would pick AJ) :emoticon-0104-surpr

4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'd say its one from:
    * Hangeland - well, do I need to explain? Our centreback partnership is one of the best in the Premiership and is the rock on which our team is based. Add in some crucial goals and Hangeland's importance is clear to see.
    * Hughes - see above. Also one of the most underrated defenders in the Premier League and a great vice-captain as Murphy comes off with 20 to go.
    * Baird - Hughes doesn't like JP and we have no other right backs. Up steps Baird who has been consistent and always seems to have a decent game. Add in those goals against Stoke and you can pinpoint when our season turned around.
    * Dempsey - without Zamora and AJ for large amounts of the season and whilst waiting for Dembele & Gudjohnson to get fit, we turned to Eddie Johnson and Kamara. Thank goodness Deuce was there to step up and bag those goals to keep us from sinking. With Gera apparently on his way out, Deuce has picked up the slack.
    * Murphy - we finally seem to be getting past it a bit, but in the first half of the season we were a different team when Murphy went off. Cool, smooth and patient with him pulling the strings in midfield, we seemed to panic without him. Greening is not even a poor substitute for Murphy, who is still running our midfield and making us tick.

I love H&H and the fact we can depend on them. Murphy is the heart of our team and I admire how consistent Baird has been this year. However, we'd be in big trouble without Dempsey this year. So while my heart says Bairdinho... my head says Deuce.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's between Bairdinho and Dempsey for me. Dempsey has had more headline-grabbing highs, while Baird has been maintained a more consistent level of performance. I haven't made up my mind between them yet. Wednesday night apart, Dempsey has been quiet for a while. If he had maintained his previous form all through the season he'd be a shoo-in.

6. FFC4L

FFC4L Member

Good thread

It has to be someone has been there all season and provided something we don't have. Revelation of the season is Baird at Left and Right back. But not player of the season.

Aaron Hughes consistent as ever, but doesn't get my vote. Murphy has had an inconsistent year, albeit still play well.

That comes down to my final 3 candidates.

Clint Dempsey - Showed versatility at a time we needed him most. Played a complete forward role and scored vital goals. Has been vital.

Brede Hangeland - A great professional and leads the defence with great nous. Our sound defence was vital during our striker crisis, of which Hangeland was key. Scored some vital goals at the other end too.

Mark Schwarzer - For being ever present at the back during the striker crisis (Meaning more shots fired at him) and still remaining strong at all times. Maybe the Arsenal saga should mean he doesn't win it, but he has been fantastic again this season.

7. RobespierreFFC

Aaron Hughes for me, both he and hangeland have been immense but often hughes gets overlooked for the credit between them. Dempsey's strike rate has been good, though he can still be a little inconsistent I'd say. Bairdinho has improved superbly but bear in mind he only broke in the team around christmas, whereas hughes has been everpresent all season.

8. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Hughes and Baird for me stand out.

But I'm wary - Let's not follow last year's precedent - When my man got it.

9. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

For me it's probably Hangeland or Dempsey. Baird's been great ... supplied some nice crosses Wednesday. Schwartzer's been great for us. He's so consistent, you forget he's even there.

10. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

It might be slightly unfair, but in my mind Schwarzer's contribution seems less important than the past few years due to the play of Stockdale when he's played. We're certainly at our most blessed in terms of goalkeepers since VDS left.

I also think there's a danger of ignoring Hangeland just because he's so consistently good. Hangeland is our best player, no doubt about that (sorry Deuce!)

11. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Bairdinho the more I think about it. After the Boxing Day debacle he made our Christmas, surely?!

12. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Between Hangeland and Baird for me. And I swing toward Baird simply because of the way he has come on this Season. From being branded with the Sanchez loser tag to the player he is now moves me toward him - although, of course, Hangeland is the new "Rock".

13. frogman27

frogman27 Member

For me I agree with many of the afore mentioned. However, one man makes us tick more so than anyone and for me does not get the credit he deserves. That player is Danny Murphy. It always amazing me at games that there are not many songs for Murph's. Whilst Dempsey has scored some great goals, Baird has made the right back role his, Murphy has knitted our team together and at 34 years old still provides the basis on which we build our attacks. He is the top passer in the premiership this season, 2050 passes with an 80% success rate. We regularly discuss who will be successor to Murphy but they are big shoes to fill. For me he is the most important player in our team.

14. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

The most obvious evidence for this is the way we change when he goes off. We just look a completely different team without him and it's testament both to his talent and his importance to the team that we'd rather have 70 minutes of Murphy and effectively lose a substitute than have 90 minutes of anyone else.

15. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Demps has been immense. Stockdale has been great when played

16. Kinnane27

Kinnane27 New Member

Got to be Clint Dempsey. He chipped in with crucial goals this season when the rest of our strike force was crocked. Even though credit goes to Chris Baird who has come along in leaps and bounds. Credit goes to the ever present Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland who have sured up our defence, which had been leaky since before their introduction.

17. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

It's got to be Dempsey for me. The only thing he did wrong for me all season was miss that penalty against Chelsea. Our all time leading Premier League goal scorer says it all. Although as has been mentioned Hughes, Hangeland, Murphy and Baird have all been solid all season as has Davies in my opinion. But Dempsey wins it for me.