1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player Combo's : The do's and don't's

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by seabreeze, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Leons is half of a midfield pairing and his game to a large extent depends on who he is partnering.

With Ki as his partner, Leon has to do all the pressing, chasing and closing down on his own as it isn't Ki's game. Ki's is not a box to box midfielder and his mindset is not as defensively minded as it should be in order for him to be effective in a holding role. Ki looks forward first, he has a more of an attacking mindset so with Ki, Leon has more ground to cover in defence and a far greater workload which exposes him because they're styles don't complement one another.

With Cork its different because, although not a traditional box to box midfielder, he does play a straight holding role well while when its the right time, move ahead of half way to support Siggy and co. up front.

With Cork, Leon has less pitch to cover and so is more effective.

That's my hindsight analysis, BB had to try out Ki and Leon out I suppose, but the combo hasn't worked too well, imo. Ki plays much better when he looks forward but this exposes Leon behind him. Cork is just as effective looking forward and importantly is a better distributor of the ball than Ki which give him the time to back Leon up, imo.

I hope and doubt in equal measures that Bewildered Bob has worked this out and understands that our best holding combo at this time is Leon alongside Cork.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    seabreeze likes this.