1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Player Combo's : The do's and don't's

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by seabreeze, Nov 4, 2016.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Some players work well with other players , but not others it seems .
    Who should play together and who maybe shouldn't .

2. seabreeze

I like Routledge on the right side as he seems to work well everytime he plays with Naughton and at times Rangel ...

3. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Baston and Llorente?

4. seabreeze

Good or bad?

5. PGFWhite

Worth a try <ok>

6. seabreeze

Its not like we ever really try two .
    Last time I remember having two strikers start was away at Reading ... we had massive midfield problems and I think Martinez dabbled a bit .
    Might have been the game Bodde originally got injured.. might be wrong though .
    I think it might be time to try a few games with both .
    Also ,if Routledge starts on the right side ( things are stagnate on the left of late ) , it gives Kingsley and Montero a chance to build something from scratch together .

swanseaandproud likes this.
  7. PGFWhite

If Montero plays. I'm not sure where he is. We could play three at the back with Kingsley on the left side of a 5 man midfield.

8. seabreeze

My favorite combination is Britton and Cork and am more than disappointed Cork is falling through the cracks somehow .
    Britton and Cork can play with anyone and really play well together .
    I was thinking Cork would be one of our best players this season now he can't get a game .
    Cork and Britton playing in front of the defence with Cork having the green light to go forward during possession is our ticket out of this mess IMO

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  9. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I think Sunday showed Leon's leigs have gone so Amat instead of him and Cork and Fer as the other midfielders. I also think Sunday showed Borja and Llorente is not a good combo up front.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  10. seabreeze

Ya , the two strikers never works when you can't stay in the final third IMO .
    Britton will have less running if he's partnered with Cork IMO .
    I'm also desperate to see Fernandez play with VDH a few games as I think they will gel .
    Mawson , VDR and Amat had very little Premier expierence coming into this season with Fernandez having the lions share .
    I just want to see Fernandez play with someone besides Amat as they don't seem to work well together and I'm not ready like most to pull the plug on our " Senior " CB

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Fernandez is our senior centre back in age only Roof as his performances just don't credit him being considered as our senior CB through experience or form.

I think we have better in VDH, Mawson and Amat, who I feel is unfairly paying for partnering Fernadez. Amat looked good next to VDH and Imo, right now is better than Mawson. Just my opinion and I can't deny that Mawson has looks comfortable at CB.

Maybe not a good time to reshuffle the back line again anyway as VDH and Mawson seem to be working it out between them and soon will start to complement one another.

I hope this isn't the end for Amat though and I agree with Nosugarman 1 that he could step into a DM role. He's got decent feet, a good pass, can head the ball and likes a tackle or two. His failing is his speed, but anticipation can go a long way in making up for that and he does read a game well. Even now I'd prefer him to KI who is not a DM imo, and with confidence can play well further up the field.

Dont like Baston and Loriente together simply because we are not a 2 striker team, nothing to do with eithers' ability to play together, playing both just makes us top heavy up front and skinny in midfield where our game is.

12. seabreeze

Playing Amat sure didn't work out for him and Laudrup the last time Amat played DM ....and like I say Fernandez hasn't played beside Mawson or VDH and Amat has .
    Time to give Fernandez a chance playing beside the other two CB's , Amat had his chance .

13. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

There's a lot of water and games gone under the bridge since then Roof. When Laudrup played him he hadn't played that many games so was inexperienced. He has that experience now and imo, he's progressed from being a red card in waiting to being a good player, too good to be sidelined imo.

Re Fernandez, I feel he's had all the chances he needs and its not fair to drop Mawson who is progressing, just to give Fernandez yet another chance. Its time to move on I think and concentrate on some one who already is playing as good as Fernandez ever has for us.

14. seabreeze

Well we certainly aren't going to agree on that stump... which is fair ...
    Also , Fer and Ki should never play together... Amat and Fernandez shouldn't play together.....

15. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Neil Taylor and any other one from ten.

16. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I don't get what you see Roof but I'd like to. What is it you see that puts Fernandez ahead of VDH, Mawson and Amat. I get that he should be performing better than he but he's had so many opportunities to improve and perform and in my eyes didn't manage to take any of them.

VDH took his chance immediately when he selected and proved straight away that he matches the job description in his contract. Mawson too was given a belated opportunity and took it and apart from one brain fart, he's performed well. Amat has played well when selected but I get why Mawson is now selected ahead of him, but I still like Amat. Fernandez is the only Centre back who consistently underperforms and has so for a very long time.

So I don't get your drift Roof regarding Fernandez, am I missing something dude? what is it you see?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  17. seabreeze

Simple Stumpy , Fernandez , up till the start of this season , has twice as much expierence as Mawson , VDR and Amat has with us and in the Premier .
    The fact that most want to throw Fernandez to the curb after our bad start and after Williams walked out , and hand it over to two CB with no Premier League expierence without trying Fernandez with someone other than Amat is more than worrisome for me Also , we have given up more goals in less games with games Fernandez hasn't played

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  18. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Fernandez poor form extends well beyond this season Roof. We had these same debates about his form last season too as I recall. In fact I recall these debates stretching back as far as Monks second term so its not a new thing, it is in fact a very old, and still unresolved, issue.

I think your taking my point the wrong way. I don't want to throw Fernandez to the curb, I want him to reboot himself. Taking him out of the spotlight and out of the sights of sniping pundits and fans gives him the opportunity, time and space he needs to reboot himself as a player and rebuild his confidence, which must be shattered.

Confidence isn't made of kevlar its made of eggshells and picking Fernandez right now, imo, would be akin to throwing him to the lions. Every one would be up in arms because it would mean dropping either Mawson or VDH who have shown they are capable, so before the game even starts, he will be under the microscope and will have to perform out of his skin just to get the fans and pundits not to moan and criticise. Not a good position to be in when your trying to regain your form and rebuild your confidence.

Fernandez needs to be out of the glare right now so he can concentrate on competing for his spot, improving his game and getting himself back to a level that an £8m price tag suggests he has. He has to show some fight first though before he can step back into the frey, imo.

19. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Fernandez has had one good game since he has been here and needs to be dropped......Leon has been terrible and should be Dropped as well, for good this time. our two strikers are not much cop either but what do we expect from Jenkins recruits anyway.....Fulton needs more games as he looks pretty good and Kingsley should be there with him.

Stumpy likes this.
  20. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I thought you were a big fan of Taylor.

neveroffsidereff likes this.