1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Planning for the Championship

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by gfdiscopants, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Any time mate <laugh>

rooch 3 likes this.
  2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I look on the bright side we are doing as well as Chelsea at the moment in 2017. <cracker>

TEL likes this.
  3. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I reckon he's there for the foreseeable as I can't see how he could be sacked (Short made a big deal of getting him in and has then not backed him as he should, if they sack Moyes now I'm not sure who they could convince to come in).

The last 10 games aren't terrible forSunderland so if they keep in touch I reckon they could pull in a handful of points if required late on in the season. Everyone just knows it's going to happen.

As regards Newcastle I'm not sure we would need a "major rebuilding". We were one result short last season (though deserved to go down) and have a mostly young squad who are marginally better now i think (totally biased of course) and a much much better manager than McLaren. Who have we lost who was any good? Wijnaldum and Townsend but Richie is a fine player. 2-3 upgrades may be enough for relegation avoidance IF we come up.

Hefty fullback and Consett Mag like this.
  4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I said he'd walk not get sacked. He could go for constructive dismissal with all of the broken promises.

Dunno what the Newcastle stuff has to do with it, I haven't read the full thread. I feel rough as hell, I'm off back to bed.

5. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Can't see him walking. If we go down he'll say it wasn't his fault.

Walking away would also show a lack of both class and backbone.

mackemwelder likes this.
  6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Thing is if we can't produce the revenue to run in the black in this league. How we going to do it in the championship? We go down and we lose massive amounts of revenue, while we're paying interest on over 140m of debts. If we go down I think it's beginning of the end. We'll be completely at the mercy of Short taking massive massive losses in order to sell. And I mean him virtually having to give the club away. It would be a matter of time before Administrators got involved imo.

Sad thing is, the only person giving up who matters so far, is the only man who can save us. That's Short. Gambling by giving us nothing to spend is the biggest roll of the dice gamble I've seen the club make in my lifetime certainly. And it's a pussy's gamble, a cowards selfish gamble made with Short's personal well being in mind and not the club. He's prepared to lose his entire investment rather than put any more back in, but with that we could lose our club. Our owner now works against us. It's not good. Again we're relying on a manger and fan base to save our **** be giving a poor squad the belief. Short has given up but it doesn't mean we have to. We make up part of our only chance to probably save the club from the murky waters of football administration. Us as fans need to hang on until the final whistle of the season. We're not in a bad position in the league, we've given ourselves a chance. Hull like us won't be investing, but I bet the other teams do, and that spells trouble.

We can only do two things, Back Moyes and back the Team. It's the least a proper fan can do. Don't be a Monty and spit your dummy over individual results like the pathetic little child he is. Look at the bigger picture and what's at stake then do our part like loyal subjects and be the 12 man for the rest of the season. Don't be the ones to give up on us, leave that to Monty and Short.

7. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Welcome back Bri, where have you been? and all the best.

I honestly don't think the fans will give in, we never do cos we know that it is possible to escape, just like we have done for so many seasons previously.

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Hello mate, I've never been gone to come back, account's knackard, been on this thread over half an hour just to read and make post. Would take me the best part of a day to post on each thread of the first page. I'm logged out mostly as the site works normally but renders me an Otter. Had no feedback what so ever on fixing my account, as predicted(Not our mods, the ones who can do something technically). I could do a new account but don't see why a should flush 40k posts down the drain because the higher powers can't be arsed to keep the site maintained. Anyway, this thread isn't about me. All the best to most of you. :)

clockstander likes this.
  9. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Comm did say you were having technical issues, don't understand why the lazy bastard site admin can't sort it like.

Anyway, good to see you around again.

10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

It was very different at the end of last season, and there is no reason why it can not be repeated, a change of fortune is all it takes. <bubbly>

11. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

12. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I know and he might but I don't think he will. I was just saying that I can't see Sunderland sacking him and I think he'll be there for the season (or at least for another 10 games when a panic could set in and all reasonability dissipates)

As for Newcastle someone had said we needed a total overhaul if we go up, by Premier League standards we're pretty **** but we survived for a few seasons despite being pretty **** :)

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Have to say i was wondering who the hell this poster is. Full of negative drivel which bores me senseless. "Ooh look at me, I've posted war and peace in a single paragraph when 4 words would've done!"

14. gfdiscopants

gfdiscopants New Member

Bri. Of course you are right, fans shouldn't give up, and I won't. As I advised yesterday my comments were coming from the heart after a culmination of a terrible result, and the transfer window opening with what appears to be very little chance of fixing some of our deficiencies, due to our financial situation. Just want the club I have supported since I was 12 (so 30 years now) to be managed in a way that gives us a chance. @marcus - I may be spitting boring drivel, but just wanted to try and start contributing to the board. My opening comment was intentionally on the more extreme side just to generate a little bit of debate about the direction of our club and what a future strategic direction could look like. I don't profess to have the answer, and recognise that relegation would be a financial disaster. It does feel that new posters who don't conform with the norm aren't welcome and just get branded as mags. Not healthy for a forum if it wants to attract new posters.

15. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Five years a member, eleven posts, hardly adds up to someone who has the club in his heart or has a clue about what has been said on here for the past two years at least.

16. gfdiscopants

gfdiscopants New Member

Valid point Nostalgic. I have been a member for a few years, and have sat on the sidelines enjoying reading comments from others. I suspect there are many who don't feel comfortable commenting, but I just wanted to give it a go. By not commenting previously doesn't mean I don't have the club in my heart.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  17. clip

clip Well-Known Member

Money spent in 2016Club Official spend
    How can you say short has not backed the managers

Manchester City £174.2m
    Manchester United £149.55m
    Chelsea £122.7m
    Arsenal £93.1m
    Leicester City £76.78m
    Liverpool £75m
    Watford £72.1m
    Tottenham £70.6m
    Everton £65m
    Bournemouth £56.6m
    Crystal Palace £56.5m
    Southampton £47.8m
    West Ham £47.35m
    Sunderland £41.85m
    Stoke £36.55m
    Swansea £35.25m
    Middlesbrough £27.8m
    West Brom £22.5m
    Burnley £22.1m
    Hull £19.5m

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Ive asked again for any update.

19. gfdiscopants

gfdiscopants New Member

I think our net spend over the last 5 years is higher than those teams we are realistically competing with: around £14 million a season I think. It isn't a lack of funding that has been the biggest problem, it has been how the money has been spent and the lack of a longer term strategy. Just a read out of some of the players who have left for free or for peanuts over the last few years, plus some very noticeable signings who just didn't pay off ( very much regretting calling my son after one of them now - a lack of long term thinking from me on that one) is what has screwed us. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Martin Bain seems to have a longer term strategy and I just hope this is the case. If we had at least invested some of the 124 million spent in the last 5 years better we could have had at least sold some of the players on for either what they cost, or ideally for a profit and used those funds to keep improving the team. Instead we released players such as Fletcher, Graham on free transfers and was just relieved to remove them from the wage bill.

20. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

No one could forsee just how ****e Rodwell would be, or the AJ saga.

There's 20m down the ****ter.