1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pilgrim's Progress

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by deleted....., Aug 12, 2017.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

We are a big scalp in League 1 - ten men behind the ball & the onus on us to break then down. Sad to say Josh Magennis has made a slow start to the season

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Thought he was carrying a bit of timber pre-season.

3. chaperonek9

chaperonek9 Active Member

Charlton are weak in every respect; both as a club and as a team. After Plymouth scored their first we played as if we could not care less. Any team can bemoan the fact about missed chances, the fact being our squad is far too thin even for this crap league. We have an owner who will not spend any money, and as someone has recently mentioned, for the sake of one significant outlay we could add 3 or 4 more to our squad that could be the difference between success or not this year.

On this performance l can only see us fighting against relegation again. This will definitely happen if we do not add good quality to our, at best, woeful squad. Will RD release the purse strings, of course not. That attitude can only end one way....

Our 'victory' against Bristol Rovers should not have stood as the ball did not cross the line. That being the case, we have 1 point from 6. Seriously, in this league??

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Welcome to Plymouth ken and I hope you have a good night.

I was there today and your supporters did your club proud apart from the flare but then again there is always one isn't there. Don't think anyone here thinks any of you were being poor losers. I got a number of comments about good turn out and way more than the moped filled transport we often get. I think you are selling your team short with some of your comments. Very impressed with your movement and passing and it was a hard fought game. You did have a number of chances but then again so did we in the first half and it could have been 3 - 3 in my book. Our keeper did pull off a world class stop on one of them which if it was in the prem would be reshown a hundred times. I understand disappointment in not getting the result, I am an Argyle fan after all, but despite the score at the end it was very even and could have easily gone the other way. I do think you are right in that our defence, after the first 20 minutes, got to grips with your attackers. You still created some chances though so it wasn't totally on top. I cannot accept you "vanished after half time". We got better yes but you still gave us a game. We, that is the group around me, think Charlton will win more than they lose this season so you shouldn't be too despondent.

Best of luck for the rest of the season except the return leg of course........<ok>

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

The tits on ITTV will probably blame the result on jet lag. Long old flight down to Exeter.

6. User deleted as requested

The team could have afforded to fly all the way to Plymouth, but money had to be found to replenish the Millenium lounge bar after Reams had been let loose on it.

DonCorleone likes this.
  7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

It will doubtless be the fault of Rick Everitt and protesting fans (everything is) even though there have been no protests.

One bloke with a fanzine has apparently made an entire Football Club unmanageable.
    Pretty impressive you might think, if it were true.
    However, somebody else beat him to it I suspect.

"A millionaire, a competition lawyer and a computer geek walk into a Football Club..."
    Even if there was a punchline, it's no laughing matter.

8. User deleted as requested

"A millionaire, a competition lawyer, a computer geek, and a fat bloke from Wrexham" ....

9. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I think it's only a very very few people who actually believe this. The noisy ones who do keep repeating it again and again. Are they trying to convince themselves, or are they following Goebbels' maxim that if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe it? Who knows? Who cares? This maxim was endorsed by the present encumbent of the WhiteHouse in his book The Deal, so there must be something in it.

10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

When I joined ITTV in September 2015 he was opposed to the RD regime, and as our terrible relegation season went on and mass protests began, he became very scornful of other protesting fans (black & white scarf wearers for instance) for not being far more militant. Until last summer.
    Most puzzling.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

11. User deleted as requested

It's amazing what a free pass to the Millenium Lounge can do to some people's principles.

All the more amazing when you consider that Kim-Jung May publicly stated after the Swindon game that the bullsh1tter Meire had to invest in the team this summer and that this was her final chance with him (as if she cared about the Mod of a forum with 12 regular posters).

However, every vile and incompetent regime needs its share of Useful Idiots, people who can be trusted with limited access in the safe knowledge that they lack the intellect / bottle to ask the tough questions.

You can just picture the scene in Meire's office when Tom Rubashow was appointed.

T.R: "To be honest Katrien, your record as CEO is a car crash, but we need to find a way to pretend that we do actually like our own fans. What can we do though?"

K.R: " Well, I have heard of this guy in North Wales ....."

lardiman likes this.
  12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Poor result but there are still positives to take from the game. However, like we all suspected, we lack that goalscorer. What now concerns me is that it will be harder to find one whilst there are 2 weeks of the transfer window left... Unless we decided to splash the cash.

We know that won't happen.

Hearing reports from those that were there, who last season were some of the harshest critics has given me a bit of confidence that we are at least starting to show signs of change on the pitch. I'm prepared to follow the cliche of seeing where we are at after 10 games,

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm willing to believe we will do better than last season.

But if 'better' means finishing in 8th or 9th place with 68 points instead of 60 and 18 wins out of 46 games instead of 14, Charlton will still have achieved exactly nothing. With the players we had in our squad we should have finished 8th / 9th last season, not been worrying about a relegation scrap after 10 wins from 40 games.

Climbing three or four places in the table is not progress as far as I'm concerned. At that rate we could be stuck in this division for as long as Sheffield United were.
    Being relegated to League One was not part of the natural evolution of our Club. It was a wholly avoidable fiasco, entirely the fault of an incompetent administration that still calls the shots and still thinks something can be achieved for peanuts.

The current regime deserves nothing if it cannot put right its own mistakes by reinvesting just some of the millions gained from selling academy players.
    We already know the football does not matter as much as the hospitality experience at Duchatelet's CAFC.
    With that kind of attitude we are not going anywhere until we have new owners - owners who believe in the value of success on the pitch.

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Agree - we've built a starting 11 that should push for the play offs and not achieving it marks another season of failure.

I fear the squad depth will see us miss out.

15. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a tip for you if you are ever thinking of flying down to Plymouth. You will need a flying boat. There is no Airport here but we do have Plymouth Sound which is a decent stretch of water and fairly close to the City Centre...............:D

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Jason Pearce is trying to take some positives from the defeat at Plymouth;

http://www.kentlive.news/charlton-a...jason-pearce/story-30481253-detail/story.html

"It's better to lose early on in the season and learn from our mistakes," insisted the defender when he spoke to the club's website.
    "Obviously it is massively frustrating because we started the game really well, totally dominated in the first half and created a lot of chances," he said.

"On another day, we take them and we go in at half time two or three goals up and the game is over.
    We didn't get the goals, so it was always going to be difficult after the break..."

Putting aside the point about mistakes being things to be learned from (tell it to Duchatelet and Meire Jason) the last sentence quoted above is a bit of an odd one.

Why was it "always going to be difficult after the break" simply because we had chances in the first half, but went in 0-0 at half time?

Does this reveal something about Karl Robinson's tactics for games?
    Is it actually pre-planned that Charlton go all out to win the game in the first half, to the extent that the players have little left in the tank for the second 45 minutes?
    The way we apparently faded away in the second half would not contradict this notion.

Some might say that starting strongly and attempting to kill the game by half time is not an unreasonable strategy.
    But it can become a weakness if the objective -- a 2 or 3 goal lead at the break -- does not materialise.
    Do the players expect second halves to be more difficult?
    More difficult for them than for the other team?
    Are they already mentally prepared to be playing a less aggressive game (to be effectively on the back foot) for the second half of the match, because they have put too much into the first half?

A football match lasts 90 minutes plus injury time. If it is not won by half time, there should be no acceptance whatsoever by the players or the manager that our 'best chance' of winning the game has now gone, and just surviving the second 45 is somehow job done.

I hope Jason Pearce's comments were just throwaway lines, and do not reveal the kind of mentality I have suggested in this post.
    If they do, our team cannot win promotion thinking in those terms.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  17. User deleted as requested

On the down side, Gobbo is quoted in the Newshopper tonight talking out of his arse again.

Proving once again that he is a Guvnor's Man...

"How often do you see teams in League One spending £1.5 or £2m on a player?"

Who said anything about spending that amount ?

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Nobody would "see" us doing that anyway even if we did, as the fee would doubtless be undisclosed.

And you're right of course - who has suggested that Charlton should spend over one and a half million pounds for a single player?

£1.5m (a very small slice of the Lookman money) could have been spent this summer getting in three more good quality players.
    Who cares what other Clubs can or can't afford.
    Weren't we supposed to be serious about getting promoted this season?

Telling fans now that we cannot afford a decent striker is nothing short of an insult.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I think he sees himself as some sort of mediator between fans and the hierarchy - but unless he starts pulling results out the bag then the fans will turn on him and we know RD is trigger happy when things aren't going to plan.

You should always be careful when playing office politics.

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Robinson went into this job with his eyes open. He knew what kind of people he would be dealing with.

A few rants at referees and ingratiating talk about fans getting their team back doesn't make him a folk hero or give him any credibility to start telling Charlton supporters what they should expect.
    Unless he succeeds he'll be gone, and a week after he's gone he'll be forgotten.

I said it on ITTV and I'll say it again here, as an ordinary Charlton fan. Karl Robinson gets my respect when he has earned it, and not before.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017