1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pickford back in training

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Feb 7, 2017.

1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

It was an analogy - OK then replace Asoro with Anichebe and the same question - do you leave Defoe out if Anichebe is scoring goals in Defoe's position?

The answer is no. The comparison is still valid as I compare 2 players in the same position one of which is definitely better than the other - much the same as our keepers. I'd say Vito is a number 2 keeper at most clubs - decent enough but not a first choice ahead of most in the bottom half of the league

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Its not the same though is it.

You play both strikers. You can't play both goalies.

See what Norton said. I think he put it better than me.

3. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Aye I understand people's points of view, but I wouldn't keep Mannone in if Pickford was fully fit. I would play who, IMO, is out best keeper - Moyes is paid enough money to be able to keep Mannone's spirits up. Our "best for the team" players start every week if they're fit

4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

That's a hypothetical question though mate, based on Romero all of a sudden becoming the best GK in the world. De Gea walks back into our side because he's 10x the goalkeeper that Romero is, that just isn't the case with Pickford and Mannone, not yet anyway.

Mannone has been playing well and you know fine well consistency is key to form, if you start moving bodies around to accommodate favourites, you may well end up going back to weekly hammerings in no time.

5. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I just think that Pickford is that much better than Mannone mate. I truly do - I guess I'm in a minority mind

6. Burly Hurley

I think we'll just have to agree that I'm right and you're wrong here mate <laugh><ok>

Nordic and Tel (they/them) like this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

He's not though mate, Mannone is probably better than Romero and Pickford is nowhere near De Gea. Take them glasses off pal, he's far from the finished product yet, he made a comical error against us and had Pogba thought quickly he'd have flogged one into an open goal from 40 yards out.

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Draw with Spurs. Battered Palace. Vito has to stay for now.

Pickford will regain his place in due time.

Nostalgic and The Norton Cat like this.
  9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But playing your best players isn't necessarily what's best for the team. What happens if dropping Mannone leads to other players questioning if good performances will be enough to keep them in the team? Confidence is infectious but so is doubt.

10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

No your not I think Pickford should walk strateback into the team
    His previous performances before injury proved he was more superior to manone
    Play your best players available every time
    IMO

11. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

When did my wife register on the site...

12. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Don't think Pickford is anywhere near de Gea mate - never even suggested that. Just think Pickford is far better than Mannone. Mannone has made a few clangers too and that's the joy of keepers. No glasses on - I've watched both play - I think Mannone is a decent keeper, but I think Pickford is much better.

All ifs and buts mind as we all have different opinions and the only one that matters is Moyes.

he's got a video of Jagielka he's making Kone watch now...

13. Burly Hurley

<laugh>

14. Tel (they/them)

I assumed you thought the gap between Pickford and Mannone is as big as the gap between De Gea and Romero, that's why I compared the two situations.

I've no doubt Pickford is probably the better goalkeeper but on paper and on grass is different, especially if you're on a little run of form.

Look at it this way mate, Bailly should have walked back into the team on paper for us after his injury but who do we move out of Jones and Rojo who formed a great partnership at the back? Neither, Bailly waited on the bench.

clockstander likes this.
  15. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I don't think you are, I just think many would play the situation different. Got to send the right message to the players. If we just drop Vito for Pickford without good cause we're telling players competing for positions that if you're not in the team or you're getting dropped for no reason, you're nowt but back up for injury. Players need to know that if they perform in the side they'll be rewarded for their form, it gets the best out of everybody. Dropping players through a lack of faith over their teammate, you get complacency on the pitch and half a squad of players looking to leave.

Pickford is clearly going to pass Vito as a keeper, but it's quite happened yet. It's a break through season for a talented young player still learning, he should be treated as such. We've got to set the right example imo. Because setting the right example now can set the correct mindset in the lad for life.

If Pickford came back after Vito's 2nd game back it would be Pickford in. But recently Vito has done nowt wrong. We need to embed how competition for places should work. Dropping Vito for Pickford without reason risk giving the lad an unhealthy sense of entitlement. An awful trait in a footballer which often leads to them thinking they're better than they are.

16. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

NOT THAT MANY GAMES LEFT FOR HIM TO HAVE AN OFF DAY AND COST US DEARLY , Pickky is the better goalie we all know it get him back in A.S.A.P.

17. Makemstine Roger

WELCOME BACK YOU BASSA.......<laugh><laugh> I AGREE:emoticon-0115-inlov

BIG BAZ likes this.
  18. Makemstine Roger

totally agree

19. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

For me Pickford comes back in when fully match fit. That probably means Vitto gets another game, if he has an amazing game then it makes the managers job even harder. It's why manager get paid millions.

20. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

But if he doesn't have an off day then.... what's the problem? :huh: