1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough United @Abax Stadium 9/1/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 7, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

The first of three lengthy away trip within seven days, the first at Peterborough in the FA Cup. It also brings back into the lives of North Enders Graham Westley a man who singled handedly apparently laid the foundations for our return to the Championship, you have to give Graham praise he is a trier.
    Give praise where praise is due though he has taken Posh on a decent run of form they are scoring goals for fun although did lose to Blackpool(even I can't explain that) They also seem to keep finding lower league players who make them lots of money when they are sold on to other clubs. The latest potential profit making player is Conor Washington who seems to be on the radar of bigger clubs. Also playing well for them is the diminutive Erhun Otzumer who has plenty of pace and is a more than decent player.
    Not sure if Westley will make changes probably not as he will want to put one over on us howeverf given we have two league games next week both away against Bristol City and Ipswich suspect Grayson will make a few changes would not be surprised if Kirkland plays, seems the right time to actually give him a game. Should be an entertaining affair however neither side would want a replay.
    Fourth visit to London Road brings back memories of a trip on 31/12/1978. the coach broke down, the replacement coach got bricked going through Coventry, window in front of my seat disappeared, frozen solid by the time we got there at half time and then lost to a goal 15 seconds from the end, epic trip. We had the last laugh we got promoted after Posh failed to beat Wrexham on the last day of the season a game incidentally I went to as well.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Got my ticket: main stand London Rd, Section E at the back seat 90. Travel from Downham to Lynn and from Lynn to P,borough. It will take longer than Maclad's coach trip! BUT, thanks to one G. Brown, all free! I'm sure another G, i.e. George/Gormless Osborne, will soon with draw it citing financial pressures from bankers' bonuses.
    Glad to see GW doing well at Posh (except for tomorrow). At NE, it ws a mater of horses for courses and he did rid NE of some overpaid egos who have hardly done well since leaving NE. He wasn't noted for imagination but it seems he has learned from his past. I expect a real trial for NE, not because he wants to 'get one over' NE but because Posh are a good team. If NE show patches of lacklustre, as in recent games, then expect the team togo back to D'dale with their tails between their legs. Agree with you, need Kirkland to keep the team's concentration sharp.
    By the way, P'bororough is one big retail park...not just in th centre but right into the suburbs.

3. themaclad

H125 mine

4. themaclad

Well it would have been nice to get through but as the opposition scored twice and we didn't does make winning games a tad difficult. An entertaining game for those 6600 who were there including a non too shabby 577 form Preston. It's 20 years since I last visited and the ground now seems to be in the middle of a housing estate with new developments all around. The away support were in the main stand in seats which the clinically obese or not so obese ones would have difficulty sitting in, tighter than QPR, there was a certain rustic charm to the old stand and yes still a standing terrace for the home support. Although slightly tight seating, good pitch side view.
    Both sides could have scored in the opening minutes as Clarke cleared a dangerous home move with a good saving tackle, while Doyle could not get the ball controlled following a neat Garner head on. The Posh took the lead after 6 minutes when Samuelsen who looked impressive in the first half picked up the ball 25 yards out, we did not close him down and he fired in a shot which beat Kirkland, first viewing thought the keeper should have done better(still do) but having watched it back failure to close the player down was more criminal.
    United passed the ball about well in the early stages and thought they had scored again when offside ruled out Angol's finish, Forrester also tested Kirkland with a shot which he did well to save as there was a bend on the shot. North End got back into the game as United went a little more direct, a Huntington header was narrowly wide as was Brownhill's finish however the clearest chance went to Browne but he scuffed his shot wide just before half time.
    Loved the half time entertainment as some dancers came onto the pitch all seemed to be 15 or 16 year old, interesting, a few years ago North End had a similar them but we got our dancer's from the local pole dancing club. Also had a competition were you had to get a football into a wheelie bin without bouncing from 40 yards neigh on impossible as it proved.
    North End brought on Gallagher for Welsh who had injured his knee in the first half and began to pass the ball better, although ironically it was Posh who doubled the lead at the start of the half, full back Smith who had endured a miserable afternoon against Reach fired in a peach of a cross and Washington rose to head the ball home from 12 yards great goal although again with hindsight after seeing on television not great defending by the centre halves but it was a good goal.
    North End brought on Robinson and he played well in his time on the pitch however North End were let down by the quality of the final ball. Going for broke North End left themselves open to the counterattack as substitutes Coulbilaly and Maddison could have added further goals, but North End kept on going could have reduced the arrears when Clarke's header was cleared off the line by Smith, also a Robinson goal bound shot was well blocked, if either had gone in would have made it interesting. But fair enough Posh scored and go through and best of luck to them in the next round.
    One bit of warning if Westley decides that Anthony Elding is required be afraid be very afraid. Not a lot of love lost between the managers the handshakes were akin to shaking hands with someone with leprosy.
    North End have a chronic inability to tackle in midfield an it looks as this will be addressed with the signing of Ben Pearson from Manchester United who apparently can pass and get stuck in.

Peterborough United 2 Preston North End 0 Att 6600

Peterborough boss Graham Westley told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "We did the job we set out to do. We knew they hadn't conceded (many) in the first 15 and we knew it would be a blow to them if we managed to get that goal.

"It was a resilient performance, a controlled performance, excellent second goal, and from then on it was a matter of taking the game home.

"The challenge for Conor is not only does someone come in with a sensible enough bid that the club decides to agree terms, but does he accept the Championship, rather than the Premier League?

"The lad's such a high-quality player, with such a good goalscoring record, maybe he might let himself down in going to the Championship."

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "We created chances but we didn't show enough quality or desire to turn half chances into goal. We didn't test the keeper enough.

"When you get opportunities you need to take them and punish the opposition. We didn't do that today and it's disappointing."

5. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Maclad, you are very kind. NE were dire in the first half having only one idea...long ball to JG but with no midfield to pick up 2nd ball, a useless idea. You are correct about the first goal. Samuelson should not have beaten Kirkland with a low ball from 25 yards but noone wanted to tackle him. Posh won nerly all 5h3 50/50 tackles. On a concise pitch like this, the first goal is mightily important because the team to score first has onlt to pack defence and NE have nobody to unpick a tight defence. In the second half, Gallagher mad a difference but their second goal was a peach. Cunningham was out-paced by Smith but where was Reach? Washington beautifully headed past Kirkland. I expected more of Kirkland but he was not the dominating force I thought he would be. 'Ring rusty'? But he is a coach! I thought the beter team would win and it did.
    On the only viewing I have had of NE, Doyle can go back to Cardiff, Brownhill needs to think about his career seriously e.g. how to tackle, we need Beckford back quickly, Kirkland needs a few more games, and we need someone with Gally's skills but morre physical...legal.
    Did you notice the contrast between the 2 managers? SG seemed out of his depth but GW was passionate and commanding. I find that interesting. One seems to have learned from past experiences.