1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Peter Hooper R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Aug 16, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have just read of the death of Peter Hooper at the age of 78 on Saturday
    in a Devon care home.
    Peter played for both Rovers and City, primarily as left wing with one of the
    fiercest shots I have ever seen. One of my earliest memories is of seeing
    him at Eastville racing down the wing or powering in a free kick.
    I met him a year or so back and he was a charming gentleman with a great
    sense of fun.
    Truly this man of Teignmouth was one of Bristol's footballing greats.

2. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Agree 100%, those were the days, R.I.P Peter.

3. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

R.I.P Peter

4. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

rest in peace peter, i am sure he played alongside geoff bradford, george petherbridge, dai ward, alfie biggs, harry bamford etc. those were saturday afternoons in the early 1960's. i remember them well from the tote end

5. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I remember Peter Hooper's kicking power. Big Ron Atkinson and brother Graham? in the wall (was it for Oxford?), definately the old leather ball. Hooper's free kick headed back by Graham, who took no further part in the match. He probably didn't wake up til the following Wednesday. Hooper also gained more 'free kicks for obstruction by defenders with his body swerve than any other player I have seen.

6. atcham jack

anybody know which years he played for city and the gas

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Roverts 53 - 62
    City 63-66

8. atcham jack

many thanks, i would like to quote fram a most fulsome obituary in this mornings western morning news.- peter hooper was one of only 6 rovers players to score 100 goals.. he passed away in a devon care home, near barnstaple. there will be a minutes applause at the rovers home game against hereford on 27/8.
    peter was a devonian by birth and made his league debut in march 1954 against rotherham and soon became a favourite at eastville. on boxing day in 1956 peter scored a hat trick within 30 minutes, and scoring goals from 30 yards was his trademark.
    he was the first rovers player to score under floodlights and in 1959 scored direct from a corner against orient. he was the top scorer in 1960/61 with 20 goals and overall scored 101 goals in 297 league games.
    he left rovers for cardiff in 1962 staying for a year before moving to ashton gate. of course he scored on his debut against the gas. he left the robins aged 33 and went on to play non league football for worcester city, glastonbury and barnstaple. he had a brief international career playing for kenya against uganda, during national service prior to signing for the gas, of course peter scored a hat trick!

after his football career he ran a pub nr barnstaple before a career in the probation service. his funeral nr barnstaple is on saturday.

personally he gave me happy memories and i hope his death is marked at macclesfield on saturday. he has been summed up as "a lovely man who really was loved. a wonderful unassuming man" amen to that. aj