1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Pearson

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Fair comment, I'm forgetting Keane, PDC, Allardyce, Poyet, O'Neill were all fairly introvert characters.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  2. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

McLeish?

He's been a failure in English football, mate.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  3. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

He wouldn't be my choice either mate, but looking at the other contenders is hardly getting me excited either, what have they done?

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Is McLeish getting interviewed? That would mean 5 interviews. would be more Monday if the short list is 5.

5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Would be the biggest outsider of the 5 imo. Grayson and McLeish won't be getting it imo. At least I ****ing hope not.

6. mackemwelder

Don't think so mate, here's the article I read.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...vid-moyes-in-the-black-cats-hotseat-1-8576461

Former hero Alex Rae believes Alex McLeish could be the perfect fit for Sunderland.

The Black Cats’ search to replace departed David Moyes, who resigned last Monday over concerns about the club’s budget, is set to go into a third week, with Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes still the bookmakers’ favourite for the post.

please log in to view this image

Former Sunderland midfielder Alex Rae.

Rae has urged Sunderland chief executive Martin Bain, who he knows from his time at Rangers, to make sure he does his homework on the candidates for what he describes as ‘one of the biggest appointments in the club’s recent history’.

For Rae, trophies and experience far outweigh seventh-place finishes.

And, as a result, he thinks Sunderland should shun the idea of looking at managers like Garry Monk, who left Leeds United having failed to guide them to a Championship play-off spot.

Instead, he reckons Bain should turn to a manager like McLeish, who not only knows how to get out of the division, but also how to win things.

He can work to a budget and is a winner. I’m sure he would welcome an offer to be Sunderland boss
    “For me, Sunderland need a manager like McLeish,” said Rae, who spent five years at the club between 1996 and 2001. The fans might not like me saying that, but he is perfect for them.

“Sunderland is a monster of a club. To be a manager there, you have to be able to deal with the pressures that come with the responsibility.

“McLeish has been at Rangers, had to deal with being a previous Birmingham City boss at Aston Villa. He is a big, big character. Not only that, he is a manager who has trophies coming out of his ears.

“He has managed at that level, won cups north and south of the border and even managed at international level and abroad.

“All you have to do is look at his win percentage in Belgium (when he managed KRC Genk with Rae as his assistant) – it was about 54%. The same when he managed Scotland – it was about 70%.

“People keep talking about managers who have done this, done that – but what have they really done? What have they won? A seventh place isn’t success. Winning things is and the big ’un knows how to do that.”

It’s all the rage these days to appoint a young manager. Fresh ideas in a changing football landscape are often seen as the deciding factor that sees some older candidates elbowed out the running.

But there is a time and a place for that, according to Rae. Although he doesn’t believe that’s what Sunderland need at the moment.

“Managers need to know how to deal with players – if they haven’t got that they will fail,” said Rae, who has had his own stint in the dugout at Dundee and more recently St Mirren.

“Some of these younger candidates might seem the real deal, but you can’t talk to players, wherever they are from, whatever nationality, about phrases out of a coaching manual. You need to speak to them like proper players. That is when they respond.

“McLeish has got everything. He has presence when he walks into a dressing-room, can command respect and he has the man-management skills.

“He can work to a budget and is a winner. I’m sure he would welcome an offer to be Sunderland boss.

“For whoever gets the job, it will be tough at Sunderland.

“I said it five years ago, before I had even worked alongside him, and I will say it again – McLeish is the type of manager that this club has been crying out for.”

Brian Storm likes this.
  7. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Alex Rae.

McLeish was absolutely horse **** at Villa and Birmingham. I don't want him anywhere near.

Gil T Azell, Dorset and Brian Storm like this.
  8. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Your right about a strong character but he really needs to connect with the fans and our community from the start or when things go wrong (they will at times) it could all go awry.
    Of the named experienced managers to me McInnes has a good record of building up fallen teams (St Johnston, Aberdeen ) but failed at Bristol City ( I don't think he had enough time there) and he has not really failed.
    Pearson has some doubters here - not for me - too much failure and he was an ex Newcastle coach under Keegan .
    Monk does not excite me and he .
    Ally McCoist - would gel with fans and community - possible
    Nigel Clough - ambitious knows the area (he was born here and his dad will have reinforced a love of Sunderland ) possible
    Do we go for an unproven manager like SKP with possibly BSA as a prescence in the club - ??????
    These are only a few of the candidates - whoever comes needs to understand how special it is here - never dull

9. red&white wanderer

Trouble is Di Canio was not quiet and reserved and look what happened ?
    The manager needs class, desire and a prescence like BSA , Keane -not all Pearson qualities imo.

10. mackemwelder

I think it's pretty much odds on that we'll end up with McInnes mate, I don't know anything about him tbh other than what's been printed in the press recently and that doesn't really excite me.

I'd love BSA to do a U-turn but that'll never happen.

SKP? too risky for me although i'd ;love to see him back at the club in some capacity and maybe one for the future.

Monk? i'd settle for him tbh, gets his teams playing decent football and has experience, but will probably go to Boro.

Pearson? a total heedtheball but would definitely take no prisoners in the dressing room for sure, he did pretty well at Leicester so worth a punt imho.

11. red&white wanderer

Yeah don't disagree out of hand but ..like you if BSA would come ,even in a mentor role overseeing a younger up and coming manager like SKP( he'd not be such a risk then) as he has a focussed sensible attitude and loves Sunderland - BSA has unfinished work here.
    But financially may be awkward -
    I'm so relieved with Moyes gone.... :emoticon-0112-wonde we've been promoted to championship :emoticon-0148-yes:

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think if someone asked Allardyce if he'd be up for returning to Sunderland they'd have to wait five minutes for him to stop laughing.

Phillips on the other hand seems very keen and it'd go down a storm with the fans. It would be a no brainer. As assistant manager I mean.

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  13. mackemwelder

Everyone and his dog knows our financial plight, probably none more so than BSA so I doubt very much whether he'd want to come back to face an uphill struggle, why would he?

I reckon that if the club had been in a decent financial condition last season, he might even have stayed on to continue what he had started, but we weren't as we all know and he left for the England job.

14. mackemwelder

Assistant yes, but too risky to throw him into a club with our financial constraints and with no managerial experience, way too risky imo.

15. red&white wanderer

Although we are a mess financially I reckon the England job was reason he left.
    But we move on now and hopefully recover from this mess and advance towards our next mess but it'll be an eventful ride.
    It'd be good if we picked up major trophies and titles on the journey.

mackemwelder likes this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely not as manager, not what we need. In the future though perhaps if he'd be ok to work up from assistant.

17. mackemwelder

I'd be happy if we could get out of this debt that's crippling us and maybe just stabilize the club, then move on and start thinking about winning things again.

18. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Pearson or monk for me. Both free to.

19. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

He's ****e.

20. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

So is Carver.

BIG BAZ likes this.