1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Pearson

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Jun 4, 2017.

1. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

IMG_0406.PNG Say it quietly so as not to alarm the local populace, but Nigel Pearson has been spotted in Sunderland this afternoon as the Black Cats' hunt for a new boss enters a third and decisive week.
    Reports over the last 24 hours have indicated the club have held informal discussions with representatives of various prospective managers and that chief executive Martin Bain is now ready to begin interviews with those on his shortlist.
    If the sightings are anything to go by, that appears to be kicking off with a meeting tomorrow with much-travelled former Leicester boss Pearson.
    The 53-year-old was most recently manager at Derby County. He was suspended last September after a row with the Rams' owner and left the club by mutual consent in October with the club slumped towards the bottom of the Championship.
    A controversial character, Pearson was dismissed from Leicester after that unpleasant incident which involved his son, a gaggle of reserve team players and some ladies of the night. However, after saving the Foxes from the drop in a miracle escape in 2015, the former defender was widely credited with assembling the team which would go on to win the Premier League.
    Pearson has spent time as assistant at Newcastle as well as a couple of stints as caretaker at St James Park. His last involvement with the Magpies came in early 2008 before departing upon Kevin Keegan's return. He's also had spells at Southampton and Hull City.
    A reputation for taking no-nonsense and for fighting wild dogs, some may believe Pearson is just what the troubled squad at the Stadium of Light require right now. With allegations that players refused to take to the field during the final days of David Moyes' rein and historical issues with playing staff appearing to rule the roost at the club, a firm hand may be just what the doctor ordered.
    But most Sunderland fans really will shudder inwardly upon hearing the news the big fella is in town this evening to discuss the vacant manager's position. Pearson's appointment would further divide a splintered fan base still reeling from the misery of relegation and the David Moyes era.
    Pearson's public image may belie a flair for football management which could get results but that reputation is not a particularly pleasant one in truth and few will want him anywhere near the club.
    The odds of Pearson taking the job have dropped sharply this afternoon and right now they're down as low as 4/1. Expect them to fall further overnight as newspapers pick up the story.

Really ?

J๏E.. likes this.
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I find the man replusive ..... arrogant without reason, a pathetic bully and a poor judge of potential signings.

Other than that I'm on the fence <laugh>

3. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Totally agree but anyone that can make his own yoghurt by staring at a bottle of milk has got to be worth a go.. ;)<ok>

Smug in Boots and Gil T Azell like this.
  4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Can't stand him. He makes me want to throw up.

Nads and Smug in Boots like this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I can't stand him either but I believe he'd do well for us.

Makemstine Roger and Brian Storm like this.
  6. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Wouldn't exactly fancy having a pint with him in a pub just the two of us but doesn't stop me thinking he'd do a good job for us.

7. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

not my cup of tea either, but when I look at the respective records of him and McInnes...you have to think who would you rather have?...it does appear to be be between the two of them

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I bet he interviews well as long as he can hold off from strangling someone or calling Bain an ostrich.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Oh he's prick, seems to matter to others more than me like. Never bothered me if a manager is a prick. Big Sam is prick, did well. Moyes is a prick, failed. Fortunately being a prick doesn't decide if you're a decent manager or not. Him and Monk are the only ones close to good enough out of the realistic candidates imo, so I'll be happy with either.

10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

At least he's a prick with self belief, like Allardyce, and not a prick with no confidence, like Moyes.

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Agreed, being likeable doesn't win football matches.

Results on a football pitch win or lose support from fans and obviously the more you win the more he'll be 'liked'.

Gil T Azell and Brian Storm like this.
  12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Could be that Pearson comes without Compo payment when McInnes does which in our situation would probably swing in for Short.

salad fingers likes this.
  13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Poor judge of potential signings, what like Mahrez, Vardy, Okazaki, Fuchs, Simpson, Albrighton Huth, Demari Gray etc who all went on the win the Premier league

14. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

The biggie among that lot was Huth. Leics had played good football but just could not defend. it was that signing that secured the run-in to safety.

I reckon he only lost the Leics job due to a non-football incident. He'll do for me as well.

15. Brian Storm

I'm all for Pearson but you're robbing Steve Walsh of a lot of credit there. Especially as he won't be coming part of a deal.

16. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

If you listen to most of the Leicester supporters they'll say Pearson was just the coach and had little to do with signings.

17. Brian Storm

It was bog standard traditional set up as far as I know. Walsh was scout so put a list of targets together. No magic formula. Just a very good scout doing what scouts do.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I don't care if he's a prick, what I do care about is that largely as a manager he hasn't been very good.

I don't want him personally, I don't see anything consistent in his history to suggest he can turn us around.

19. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Roy Keane wasn't exactly wired up right either was he? or PDC, Poyet, O'Niell, we seem to have a history of employing 'heed the balls'

All I want is a strong character who can sort the dressing room out and I think Pearson will do that. But then again I saw Alex Rea was recommending McLeish, now he might do a good job?

20. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

A no-noncence bloke to me he will fire them up in training and before a match, look at Leicester. We have had too many quiet managers over the years.

Dorset and Makemstine Roger like this.