1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PDC to listen to offers for Sess?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Jun 3, 2013.

?

Should we keep sess?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dannyaccherini

I have black cats bar season tickets actually you little virgin, fans that slag players off constantly like you are laughable, non of you points make sense and are very confrontational, you have no decent discussion with anyone and just attack anyone who has a different view but that is maybe because you are being locked up in an unknown garage somewhere in Pennywell in your Transformer pj's lifting 5kg dumbbells and ****ing over your mam's wedding photo.

2. TheBigGunMackem

TheBigGunMackem New Member

LOL I live with my lass in Hastings Hill you ****ing nobody. most of mine points have out done your points so I think they do make sense. go & believe sess keep us up you ****ing mug. if I ever see you at a match I would slap you silly.

3. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

<laugh> Knob

4. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Will you be the one with the pink carnation pinned to his lapel?

5. TheBigGunMackem

TheBigGunMackem New Member

Anyway I'm off to pump some guns. bye for now girl's.

6. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

24238_1327463900110_4484586_n.jpg big bum must dash

8. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Sorry but people on he claim sess' is the ****ing class etc, if he's that good 10 and 10 should be achievable. Certainly 10 in one of the departments.

9. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Let's get two things out the way before we go into things much further. First of all, I'm as big a fan of Stephane Sessegnon as anyone else. Secondly, I realise he's an easy target at the moment following a lackluster appearance against Fulham and supposedly a move to Qatar is nearing completion.
    So taking into account the above, it might be considered that this is a bit of an odd piece to write, but it's more that it's something that's played on my mind all summer, with Fulham on Saturday merely the tipping point.
    Midst all this rumour at the moment that a move to Qatari side El Jaish is nearing completion, it's my overriding feeling that it is time to move Sessegnon on for the betterment of the side overall.
    Since his arrival in January 2011 three different managers have all extolled the skill and excitement which the Benin attacker brings to the side, and have tried desperately to find a space for him. All without any real success, and certainly without any consistency.
    Even the man who brought him here, Steve Bruce, said at the time of signing him;

He can play on the left, on the right, through the middle - he's lightning quick and he's a match-winner.

All were tried, and whilst he did prove to be a match winner on occasions there were plenty other occasions where he simply couldn't be bothered to even turn up.
    Playing off the striker, as he has for most of his Sunderland career, he's been a relative failure. The first season you can understand that there was some bedding in to be done as he arrived mid-season and went on to score three times in fourteen games.
    The 2011-12 season was by far his highlight. It's even reflected in the stats that it's the high-point of his career whereby he scored more than any other single season, and provided more assists. For someone with his level of trickery, guile and power though, seven league goals and nine assists is still not the greatest for a player supposedly at his peak of 27-years old.
    A brief flirtation with the wing proved to be quite successful for a short period before for some reason he was moved back to a central role in the side.
    Once again though in the summer he was linked with moves away. Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur supposedly very keen to bring him to London. With him being a relatively private character the silence merely fueled the rumours.
    He stayed though, and after another managerial change he was once again being played either through the middle as a support striker or as the main striker in times of crisis.
    Perhaps there was too much pressure on him to succeed. This was alleviated somewhat with James McClean's one revelatory season (with hope for more which never came) along with the signings of Adam Johnson and Steven Fletcher.
    Even that couldn't really help him. Seven league goals once again but a noticeable drop off in assists which slumped to four.
    Once again, managers have changed and Paolo Di Canio seems to have a lot of love for the striker-come-midfielder-come-do-what-he-wanter and has made it known that he doesn't want to lose him form the side.
    He may not. Even part of me doesn't as there's still something in me that wants to see him become even more of a success, and lives for some of the magic he's produced such as down at Fulham last season, or Swansea at home. Not to mention getting the ball rolling in the 3-0 thumping of Newcastle.
    While that's what the heart wants, the head overrules with the fact we've constantly struggled to find out what on Earth we're supposed to do with him. Changes of manager seem to have little impact, as has changes in strike partners and positions on the pitch.
    Since his arrival as a relative unknown to people on these shores at least, for me, Sessegnon has been constantly shoe-horned into the side. Something shown in the fact he's never appeared as a substitute for us in the league and always started.
    It's understandable you'd want to play him, for what he MIGHT do, but that's all too rare. The majority of the time you don't know if his head's going to be in the game, if he's going to give up half way through or he's going to produce something incredible.
    Can we really afford to in effect 'carry' someone like that? I don't think so.
    It's clear that a new roadmap has been laid out for the club to follow with Ellis Short entrusting Roberto De Fanti and Valentino Angeloni to find the players, with Di Canio in turn charged with little more than getting the absolute best from those.
    If Sessegnon goes, the Italians at the top of the tree will have to work hard to find two, possibly three players to make up for his loss. Some might see that as a reason alone not to let him leave, but for me, I'd much rather have a proper winger, a proper support striker and a proper actual striker brought in. Sessegnon is merely a Jack of all these trades, and master of none.
    Given our constant battles against relegation and the clubs vision to move us away form that with an entirely new way of working, there isn't room for people who can't do one thing very well. Everyone has a defined role. Fullbacks need to attack and overlap, wingers cut inside onto their better foot, central defenders be comfortable on the ball and so forth. With Sessegnon the ultimate in undefined roles, I'm of the opinion we should sell.
    Flog him off to Qatar, take back our money and his hefty contract and reinvest elsewhere to positions of need and that will benefit us more, before long keeping him will prove more costly than it's worth.

10. Dean_Acky

Dean_Acky Member

Great read and spot on. I love the little guy but have never really seen where he fits (properly) into a team. Hes a sort of luxury player. And I think we need the right players for the right positions to take us forward.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Good read and points put across very well mate, sort of echo's my own opinions of the guy. He has all the right tools and skill to be a world beater, but rarely does, or at least not consitently anyway.

Keep him? or sell him? it's a tricky one cos in the right team, surrounded by the right players and a manager willing to play the style of football he likes and i think he is, or will be a world beater. I'm just not sure that's us. I'm sitting on the fence for a while until Fletcher is back in our 'newly transformed' team to see how they link up.

12. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

bit of a luxury player to me..In a team like Spurs he would be perfect, for us I don't think so. If we can get a good price and use the money to bring in suitable players, I think we should do that.

13. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Sadly I agree with the consensus that he may be the player that we sell to fund other deals. We now have the Italian and Johnson who can move round the pitch getting into the positions Sess plays. He just doesnt play well enough times for me and if we can get the centre mid or another player fitting Di Canios plan then so be it.

14. San_Paolo

San_Paolo Member

Agree about how inconsistent he is, but what I'm not convinced about is this tightening of the purse strings. Why do we have to sell him to buy? Our nett spend is well below average for a summer and we've got all this new TV money arriving. Surely we keep him, buy a CM and a forward like Quagliarella, and make Sess fight for his place? While he seems undroppable, he will continue to blow hot and cold.

15. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

He is a midfielder not a striker, and when Fletcher is fit where will Sess play ?, if he is still here.

16. sanddancersoftheworlduniteandtakeover

Trade Descriptions might have a case against you for calling him a striker. Sell him buy a replacement and save some money.

17. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

him and giacc to swap positions perhaps?

18. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

I think the issue is our wage bills sky high, not that we have no money to buy players, so we have to sell first.
    It doesnt help when we have nob heads like Bardo on over 30k a week, and players that are now on the fringes of our squad like Vaughan and Cuellar on big money.

19. CyprusMackem

CyprusMackem Active Member

Apart from being a good Footballer the thing I like about Sess is he always gives his all. I don't agree with the argument that he cant be bothered, in fact I think he tries too hard.
    How many times does he get the ball only to run into a dead end giving the impression that he thinks if he cant do it, no one else in the team can. The problem with SS is he's a good Footballer. He's not a great Footballer and he's no where near as good as he thinks he is.
    That said I'll be sorry to see him go but IMHO, he's a luxury we can do without.

20. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

did you enjoy it