1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Benson

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by BigBadMillwallLad, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BigBadMillwallLad

BigBadMillwallLad New Member

Hi guys, Millwall fan in peace...

My close source form inside the club has informed me that we have had an approach for striker Paul Benson accepted, and he is currently in the act of agreeing personal terms.

I'm aware he joined you from Dagenham last summer and that I would possibly be better off asking them, but as he played at a higher level for you guys (not to mention the fact that your local rivals), I decided to ask you instead, whats the guy like? What are his strengths, weaknesses etc. Looking at his profile he seems pretty tall (although quite thin) so is he a target man, pacy, or an out and out striker?

2. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

He's nowhere near good enough for the Championship <ok>, tall but can't head, pushed off the ball easily, gets lost in games, can finish reasonably well.

I wouldn't be that unhappy to lose him, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying get rid!... but was half expecting him to go back to D&R for a nominal fee.

3. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

I have to say, I didn't see this one coming at all.

I'd agree with you AllHell, he is nowhere near Championship standard, and in the current Millwall line-up it's difficult to see who'd make way for him. Even though I don't think we've seen him at anything like his best, I'm surprised he'd be off so soon - unless, of course the transfer fee was substantially more than the £250k (?) we paid for him.

Best aspect of his play IMO, BigBad, is his ability to hold up the ball and create space.

If your source is right, this is some surprise.

4. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

Think we only pay the full £250K if he achieves various things eg

Ballon D'Or winner
    World cup winner
    Champs league winner etc etc
    (crap examples but you get my point)

So if he does indeed go we won't potentially need to recoup a quarter mil

5. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

Paul Benson is a pure goalscorer, nothing more, nothing less...

Other than his knack of finding the back of the onion bag, there is imo no aspect of his game that is particularly special.

Can he continue to score goals above League One level...? I have my doubts, but in fairness to him he's scored goals at every level of football he's played at so I’m not sure I'd bet too much of my hard earned money on him failing to continue the trend...

He’s certainly not an all action powerhouse like Steve Morison so I‘d be surprised if Mr Jacket is looking to him as a direct replacement…!!

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Bigbad posted this on the Wall board

7. Hell Ben-t on Bradley Pritchard

If this was true I'd say on your way benno. I think he's got a lot to add to our squad this year, he and bwp were starting to work very well together, showing decent balance. But if we've got 400k coming in for him I'd take it. Still doesn't sound right though.

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Millwall are far too good for him. I wish him all the best if this is the case- can't begrudge a man making a further step up the football ladder, but I just feel he is a middle of the road League One striker (on his good day).

If you throw balls in to the box, he'll get goals. If you need a striker to be apart of the link play, then Jackett is making a horrible mistake.

9. Franco5

Franco5 Well-Known Member

Bingo... why the f**k don't we do that a little more often then!!

I personally will be sorry to see him go. After all goalscorers are a rare commodity and there's no doubt he falls into that category.